Food Allergy
Options

Blood stool only bad symptom?

My DD just turned 3 months.  She is the happiest, most easy going baby and much better sleeper than my son was.

She had spit up a lot more than him since birth but other than that, there was never anything wrong until i saw tiny bits of blood in her diaper.  Took diaper to doctor and doctor tested and said it was blood and after checking for a fissure said it was likely an allergy to milk, eggs, soy or a combination of 2 or 3 of them.  

She never had any discomfort of anykind, never any skin issues (knock on wood and pray that she does not develop them).  Is this standard practice to diagnos this or can other problems cause the blood? 

I have been free of all (even hidden sources for 3 weeks) and we had had 2 random diapers with the tiny (think 3 to 4 dots of blood the size of a pinhead) amounts of blood and I am just concerned that it could be something else.

I would maybe think it was just I ate something that had a tiny amount in it... but I have been very pure, only eaten at home and have been eating only grilled fish and chicken and steamed veggies and raw fruit (no tomatoes or strawberry as I heard they cause a lot of allergies). 

So-- what do you think, is it an allery to milk, soy and/or egg or not?  I just don't think it sounds like what others are desribing.    

Re: Blood stool only bad symptom?

• Options

It's honestly hard to tell. For my DS his only symptom was really really small drops of blood in his poop. Like you could miss it if you weren't starring at it. It took him 7 weeks for the blood to officially go away. 

I would give it a few more weeks and then if he still has blood as to see a pedi GI.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm like you, blood was the only symptom.  My first son had this, too, but he had terrible reflux and was raging so we ended up on formula.  This time around I saw a pedi GI and gave the diet longer to work out.  The GI was comfortable giving me 8 weeks before re-checking the stool.  Somehow it worked even though I must have eaten something bad shortly before our appt.  I saw small amounts of blood several times after weeks of no blood, and miraculously 2-3 days after the last sighting, his stool was checked in THREE different diapers and there was no blood!  Stay the course and give it some more time.  You are amazing for limiting your diet to so few things.  I'm off dairy, soy, peanut, tree nut, fish, and shellfish and not eating as healthfully as you.

My pediatrician said that after a week stuff should have been cleared out but I respectfully disagree. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    A large number of MPI babies are also soy protein intolerant. So I'd cut soy next. It's in a lot of packaged foods (although, doesn't sound like you're eating processed foods). But it's also in a lot of vitamins/supplements. 
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"