Toddlers: 24 Months+

Why does my LO turn into a crazy person when we have company?

DS (will be 2 in a couple weeks) is normally well behaved. Of course he has his moments like every other toddler, but is generally good.  Today he had a great day, didn't even have to raise my voice once...until a friend came over with her baby.  He acted like a completely different kid....like a completely undisciplined terror.  He is only like that when people are over. 

Last time these friends visited he acted the same way, I can't imagine what they think of him.  He screams, tries to rip any toy their baby touches out of her hand, even threw a Christmas ornament and smashed it.  I don't blame them if they don't believe me that he's not normally like this, because if I were them I wouldn't....but it's true.  Why is he such a terror when someone visits? Does anyone else have this problem?

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!

Re: Why does my LO turn into a crazy person when we have company?

• My DD does this!  It's so frustrating!  I feel like I'm always making excuses for her crazy, wild, out of control behavior - but only when company is over!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's pretty typical that children act differently when company comes.  When I used to nanny, I remember sometimes I would take the child out of the room for a few minutes until they calmed down because they would get so riled up.  

For DD it manifests itself differently, for her it's like if you try to correct any behavior she will burst into tears and cry almost uncontrollably.  To use your example of your son taking a toy, if I said something like, "Oh that's the baby's toy, would you give it back?"  I could say it in the sweetest, most cheerful way and she would still burst into tears and be beyond embarrassed.  Thankfully because of this she tends to be pretty well behaved in front of people, but it creates a double edged sword because sometimes I let things go that I typically wouldn't because I don't want her falling to pieces.  Then I feel like the parent is looking at me thinking, "Why didn't you correct her?"

I don't have any advice, just wanted to say I think it's totally normal!   

• Loading the player...
  • imageNCMichelle:
    My DD does this!  It's so frustrating!  I feel like I'm always making excuses for her crazy, wild, out of control behavior - but only when company is over!

I'm glad it's girls, too!  This particular friend has a 9 month old DD and I can only hope a year or so from now she'll understand!

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Maybe he wants attention. Plus children will find times to act out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD acts completely different when we have company as well. Sometimes I think maybe she's just nervous or overstimulated and doesn't know how to really express herself. It's very challenging, though!
  • DD1 doesn't really misbehave, but she does get wild when there is company over. She gets all excited and runs around like a little animal. I think she just gets 'drunk' from all the attention. She does have issues sharing toys with her little sister. For that matter, she doesn't like it when E plays with her own toys and takes them away, even though I tell her those are baby toys and she is much too big to play with them. Usually its just family over when she acts like that, and I really couldn't care less because their kids are WAY worse than mine. Its like DD1 looks like an angel in comparison ... If they are parents, they either know already or will find out soon enough how kids get, and if they aren't, well, they probably think our kids are ill behaved when they are being good ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's totally normal - my dd is the same way - although she gets REALLY clingy too

I think it has to do with people they don't know 'invading their space' - ESPECIALLY if it's other kids touching their toys

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"