Health & Exercise
Options

Exercise after baby?

How long did you all wait to exercise after delivery? I know standard is about 6 weeks but I had an uncomplicated delivery with no tearing or anything so I was wondering when I could start with atleast some easy stuff and when I can work back up to jogging again?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Exercise after baby?

• Options

I started walking immediately. I had a c section and walked around in the hospital as much as possible, as I heard it helps with recovery. I was discharged a day early (per my request) and walked home from the hospital (only 4 blocks away.) 

I didn't do anything more than walking until I was cleared at my 6 week appointment. At that point I went right back to the gym. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor said I could start jogging whenever I felt up to it.  I started walking the day after delivery and went for my first run at 2 weeks post partum.  I could have started running earlier (I thought about going for my first run at 1 week post partum), but I wasn't ready to leave the baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I started walking about 4 days after giving birth.  DH and I went on a daily afternoon walk, about 1.5 miles out, and 1.5 miles back.  We had to get out of the house!

Around 3 weeks pp, after the bleeding stopped, I started running, but slowly, and short distances - 2 miles a day.

At my 6 week checkup, after I got the go ahead, I added in strength training/gym time and upped my daily running to start training for a half marathon.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I started walking around the neighborhood about two weeks after DD was born. At 5 weeks, I started running again...but very slowly!
  • Options
    I had a c section and kept up with walking the first week until four weeks pp. Then at week four I jog walked and eventually jogged. I was doing the elliptical and jogging until week six when I finally went back to Kickboxing and CrossFit. Just go by how you feel and be reasonable!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I too had no tears, or complications.... got on the treadmill around 3 weeks PP and felt like my insides were going to fall out...felt really weird, so I did what I could. The next day, my hips/pelvic bones hurt so bad even to walk.... your pelvis and everything is still moving back into place which  is why they say no exercise.... I would say do walking but don't do anything else until your check up. Relax, you will get there....enjoy your little one and the time off for your body to heal
  • Options

imagechicsahm:
    I too had no tears, or complications.... got on the treadmill around 3 weeks PP and felt like my insides were going to fall out...felt really weird, so I did what I could. The next day, my hips/pelvic bones hurt so bad even to walk.... your pelvis and everything is still moving back into place which  is why they say no exercise.... I would say do walking but don't do anything else until your check up. Relax, you will get there....enjoy your little one and the time off for your body to heal

Thank you so much for this post!  I was wondering exactly what to expect if I jumped back into it too early. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"