Military Families
Options

Her husbands deployed How to help

A friend of mine let's call her Laurie. Her husband is being deployed soon, leaving her 20 weeks pregnant with 3 kids. He won't be back for the birth. Laurie is about an 8 hour drive away which I wouldn't mind doing, but I don't want her to feel like she has to entertain. What can I do/send to help her out?nbsp;I've looked on a few websites but I've seen a lot of complaints too. Like sending a gift card to a restaurant = "GREAT now I have to lug everyone out the door." Or sending flowers = "GREAT another thing to take care of"nbsp;I would hate to send something thats more trouble than its worthnbsp;I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I looked through and didn't see anything.nbsp; /edited by mod. I know you're new, we just don't like things that specify when someone is deploying m. Vague terms like "soon" or "in the fall" are ok. :
EDD 9/3/13

Re: Her husbands deployed How to help

• Options

I'm thinking drop in for a visit, offer to babysit and make her get out of the house by herself to get her hair done, see a movie, etc. Just a few hours of alone time might help a lot. While you are there, maybe make her a few casseroles/lasagnas she can freeze for nights when she is exhausted and doesn't want to cook. Keep the visit brief so she doesn't feel pressure to entertain, like you said. 

Me & DH: 24 Married: 5/11
    Started TTC: 12/12 Testing Started: 5/14
    Dx: Irregular Ovulation, possible PCOS
    Treatment starting July '14: Letrozole + Trigger + TI
    Surprise natural BFP right before starting meds!!!!!- EDD 3/7/15

• Options
    I've also  heard a lot of woman say they would love a house cleaning service come through. Or a spa package. The way I would keep the spa package from back firing would be to cover child care as well. Hope that helps!

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've also  heard a lot of woman say they would love a house cleaning service come through. Or a spa package. The way I would keep the spa package from back firing would be to cover child care as well. Hope that helps!

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Find out her favorite local restaurant and meal from there.  Then order delivery for her.  I had a friend do this for me the last time my DH was deployed.  It was nice not to worry about cooking dinner that night and also nice that I didn't have to drive out in the cold winter weather to pick it up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"