June 2011 Moms

Possible New Job Offer

I'm a Finance Manager in a relatively large local NGO, i got an offer as a finance manager in a larger operation of a multinational company. Current job is in the same city as we live, has a relatively decent pay, i can take permits or go to the doctor in lunch time and is 8:30 to 4:30 so im usually home by 5:30, new job is more high end and more what im used to from prior positions, is 8-5 but probably has more overtime during inventory, closing, reporting periods. The pay in my current job is average, but the other would have a 60% salary increase, as well as more money in bonus, an a car assignment (i have my own car thought) is in a different city but due to traffic is almost the same commute time to both, thought i wouldnt be able to do anything in lunch time because is in a rural area and theres nothing around. My DD is 18month.

Would you take the job knowingly getting more money but less time home with DD, or would you sacrifice the income and stay put? the offer sounds interesting and my skills will be more used, as well as i will get more exposure/trainning, but the downside is i would probably be home by 6 on the days i leave early...

Re: Possible New Job Offer

• I would definitely consider it, if I were you. The extra hours away from LO would be a drag, but for such a large salary increase you could save that money for a lot of your family's dreams (for me it would be larger home, private school vs. public school for LO, saving for LO's college, etc). I guess it depends on your DH's job/flexibility and your family's financial situation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I actually took a pay cut to be at home more. I was working an 8-5 job (with frequent overtime) but the commute was 1 1/2 each way. I didn't really see DD in the morning and wouldn't be home until after 6 each night. I would get home, cook dinner, do dishes, get to see her for maybe 30 minutes to an hour before she would be asleep.

For me, that wasn't enough time with her. She's only going to be little for so long and I want to be able to enjoy as much of her childhood as possible. 

But it wasn't a huge pay cut (60% might have been a different story) and I was really ready to be done with my old job.  I love my new job - my coworkers are awesome, the job is challenging and way more rewarding.

Maybe you should try some negotiating with the new job. Could you maybe work 8-4 and work through lunch?  Or would they let you work from home one day a week? Maybe you can ask for an extra week or 2 of vacation each year?

If they have made you a job offer, that usually means they WANT to hire you. Very few people enjoy trying to fill a position, so they may be willing to work with you.

July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• Loading the player...
  • The questions that comes into my mind are:

1.why are you looking for a new position? are you actually happy were you are or are you miserable and need a change (or even just bored)?

2. 60% is a significant increase - but does your family need more money? Are we talking about finally being able to become debt free (or just pay the bills) or an extra cruise every year?

Without those pieces of information, it is difficult to provide concrete feedback.

But - here are some of my thoughts:

If you are unhappy at your current job or bored even, I'd suggest taking the job. You may be able to negotiate one office day a week or two a month or something like that. Then there would be certain days in which you could be more flexible with spending time with your child (no commute time).

If you are happy - then I'd explore ways that you could grow at your current company with your manager / management line.

If you need more money for bills or becoming debt free or saving for important upcoming needs (like emergency fund savings): take the job. consider it a phase and give it a shot.

If you are actually really well-off and this would be extra cruise money - I'd still explore why you are looking around and how you can get that at your current position.

All in all, I'd consider either option as a phase in your long-term mothering and career growth. Either way you go, a change is going to come later on. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"