C-sections

Section bc of 3rd degree tears 1st time

One of my best friends had 3rd degree tears with her DD. She is fighting her OB to give her a c-section because of the tears the 1st time. Her OB said she could have issues going naturally but its not a high percentage. The OB is giving her a c-section if she wants one, has anyone had 3rd degree tears the 1st time and then had to have a c-section? She is unsure of what to do.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Section bc of 3rd degree tears 1st time

• I have only had a c-section, but the recovery of major abdominal surgery is tough too. And can be tougher than vaginal/rectal tearing. Her OB is right to try to have her deliver vaginally first.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:

I have only had a c-section, but the recovery of major abdominal surgery is tough too. And can be tougher than vaginal/rectal tearing. Her OB is right to try to have her deliver vaginally first.

That's what I told her. I had a c-section with DS and it wasn't an easy recovery! They even offered to do an episiotomy so she didn't tear and induce her at 39 weeks so she doesn't go over due. I think she is scared to have incontinence (she's googling too much) and other urinary/rectal issues.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemabenner1:

I have only had a c-section, but the recovery of major abdominal surgery is tough too. And can be tougher than vaginal/rectal tearing. Her OB is right to try to have her deliver vaginally first.

I agree with this. With Ds I had a natural birth and had 3rd degree tearing, it was definitely not a pleasant experience but my OB never suggested I'd need a C-section in the future because of it. I am having a C-section this time for a completely unrelated medical issue and if I didn't have this issue I would do another vaginal birth.

BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD1 was a vaginal 3rd degree tear labour

DD2 was an emergency c-section.

Give me vaginal delivery anyday over a c-section. I felt better by 3 weeks PP with DD1. DD2 is 13 weeks old and I am still occasionally sore - especially when I get AF!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A friend of mine recently delivered her second after a fourth degree tear with her first. She didn't tear at all because the baby was in a better position (her first was sunny side up).

For me, if I were in that situation I would make my decision on why the first delivery was so rough. If the situation had little chance of repeating itself, a vaginal delivery is most likely going to be the quickest/easiest recovery. If she goes for a section, the likelihood that the recovery will be longer/more painful is high.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a csection after a traumatic vaginal delivery and thought the csection recovery was easier. Major surgery, yes, but nothing compared to having your crotch ripped in half and swollen. I was out shopping a week after my csection. My vaginal delivery was so rough it was weeks before I could walk without significanf pain.
  • I was just lurking here (because I will be having a c-section for my second baby) and this will be my first post so hi everyone. I had 4th degree tears when my daughter was born and had to have surgery right away so my doctor recommended I have a c-section but left it up to me. I'm quite terrified of the recovery but I still think it will be worth it considering the alternative. 
  • She and her docter would be well aware of any damage caused by the first delivery. The general rule of thumb is csection after fourth degree tearing as those situations are much more likely to result in nerve damage.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a very bad 3rd degree tear with DS.  It took 3 months to heal and required 2 silver nitrate applications to cauterize granulation tissue.  I was very nervous about a 2nd vaginal delivery.  My OB said we could discuss c/s if I wanted, but she still thought vaginal was safest.  Turned out DD was breech, so I had a c/s.  Let me say, the recovery from the c/s was a piece of cake compared to my vaginal delivery.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • All births are different. Some people have easy-as-pie vaginal deliveries, while others have traumatic ones with complications. Some people have great recoveries from c-sections, others have horror stories to tell. There are risks with both, and it's a personal choice your friend and her doctor will have to make together.

The bottom line with something like this is that we can't really decide for someone, and that you'll get horror stories and pleasant stories from both types of deliveries. 

As for me, I had a breech baby with DD1 and had a great, easy c-section recovery. It wasn't a walk in the park or anything, but it was much better than I had expected it would be. I followed the Dr.'s orders and tried to keep my meds going so I was comfortable. I was a successful breastfeeder for 1 year and didn't feel like I missed out on any bonding with my daughter. I held her after 20 minutes, and my husband held her before that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"