Natural Birth

My almost "side of the freeway" birth

My DD, now 28 months was late and I was induced at 40w5d and almost ended up in a csection because they didn't monitor the pitocin levels closely enough or gave me too much too fast.  I dilated from 3cm to 10 in 45 minutes and baby's heartbeat fell erratically.  I escaped a csection but ended up with what I learned was routine episiotomies by my OB.

Long story short, this pregnancy I went with a nurse midwives group at UCLA in Los Angeles.  

Last Tuesday I had my 39w prenatal at 4:30pm after work and told the midwife that I felt some pulling and tightening but only on one side of my belly and downward pressure on my pelvis.  She said it was likely BH.

At 7:30pm as we're getting our DD ready bed, I felt this popping in my cervix.  A minute later I got my first contraction and lo and behold within 10 min. I was having contractions every 2 minutes and they lasted a long time.  I was so unprepared for this kind of fast progression.  I felt no real painful contractions before 7:30.  So I went into labor and leapt right into transition in front of my toddler.  She is incredibly sensitive to my moods, so she was terrified at the discomfort/pain she could see me experience.  My concern over her and surprise at the progression left me unable to cope as I had prepared with Hypnobabies etc.  

DH was on the phone with my doula who was advising him to put me in the shower to relax me and then drive the near 30-45 minutes to UCLA.  I in the meantime am sitting on the toilet pushing! There was no way I could get in a car and make it through gridlock LA traffic.  So I screamed for him to call an ambulance because I was going to push that baby into the toilet.  

DH is on the phone with 911 who's coaching him on the items he's going to need to deliver the baby on our bed.  Finally, 911 showed up and took me to the nearest hospital, they too wouldn't drive in LA traffic to UCLA apparently.  This, the same hospital I wanted to avoid. 

So the panel doctor, who was a real piece of work and at one point threatened to leave because I didn't want to put my legs in the stirrups and wanted to push standing up, delivered my baby at 8:49pm, though honestly, DH could have done a better job. I ended up with a 2nd degree tear and a huge hemorrhoid. 

So after a crazy quick labor I ended up having a natural birth, which I wanted but nothing of my birth plan came to be.  I'm trying not to look at the whole thing with regret or negativity, after all all's well that ends well and who wouldn't want such a short labor but I find the whole thing so ironic!  

I wanted a woman centered natural experience but found myself with 5 men in my bedroom and a brute of a doctor who didn't care about what I wanted.  

But I have a gorgeous little healthy boy, born at 7.3 lbs, who's nursing like a champ and has made our family complete.   

Thanks for reading!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My almost "side of the freeway" birth

• That's a nice story and congratulations!

DS2 was born fast too.  I walked in to the hospital not sure I was in labour and 30 minutes later was holding him.  I can't imagine arguing with medical staff over stirrups.  The ER doc who attended me sat on the edge of the bed and kind of watched the show. 

A great story to tell your LO when he's old enough.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Wow, what a story! I'm sorry that you didn't get the birth you planned. I'm glad everything turned out okay and that you and your little guy are both safe and healthy! Congratulations!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow that was a fast and furious labor!  I am glad everything turned out OK.  Congrats!
  • Wow - your labor started exactly like mine, down to the time!  I had my first contraction - a doozy - at 7:30pm, right in front of my toddler.  I was in denial about being in transition and tried to do her bath and get her into bed while we waited for my parents to come, but that was just not happening!

We live two minutes from the hospital, so DH got me there, barely, and also had my baby boy at 8:49.  : )

I'm sorry that you had to go through so much drama, but congrats on your little boy!

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"