Minnesota Babies

Day care etiquette question

My husband and I are new to having a baby in day care - we just started in September when I went back to work part time. I have a glut of use it or lose it vacation time I need to take before the end of the year, so this week is my last week working until 2013. I was thinking of next week bringing in our baby for our normal scheduled days - one for a usual full day where my husband and I would take the day off to go skiing (at a place nearby, and bringing our cell phones so we can go pick him up on short notice if needed), and two more partial days so I can get some pre-Christmas tasks done. I am planning on keeping him home the week between Christmas and New Years.

Is it considered bad etiquette to drop off my baby at day care if I am not going to work - either to spend the day doing something fun, or to get chores done? If it matters, we go to a small non-chain center of about 60 or so kids total. We are billed monthly, with a strict policy that you always fully pay for your scheduled time even for days when the center is closed, or your child does not go due to illness or family vacation. My initial thought was that there's no reason this shouldn't be OK, since we have already paid for him to go those days I have off, so as long as I bring him in on his normally scheduled days the center is open, notify the director in advance of any planned change in our drop off/pick up times, and we make ourselves available to pick him up during the day with reasonable notice if he were to get sick, they shouldn't care what I do during the day. But at the same time, there's something that feels a little weird about it - so I want to make sure there's not an unwritten rule that this is not OK.

So I thought I'd throw a post out here and check with other parents of kids in day care to make sure this is a good idea before solidifying the plans with our provider. Thanks!

Re: Day care etiquette question

• No problem here I am doing just that today. Go in joy your time off I would let the Daycare know you are not reachable on your work number but they really don't need to know everything you are doing.

Edit - that should say you are not reachable on your work number & if they need you they have to call your Cell phone, but this really only matters if they have your work/desk number.  

• It really doesn't matter to the daycare what you're doing during the day.  If you want to keep your LO there (and you've paid for the time of course), then you should enjoy it.  No guilt.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the responses and for confirming my initial thoughts. They already have our cell numbers (as well as our work numbers) so that shouldn't be an issue, but I'll be sure to remind them. Thanks!
  • We have my son in daycare 2 days a week and I am home half those days and I love it. I don't feel guilty at all. He needed the socialization, my husband needed to get work done(he normally stays at home, I work 3 days a week), so we started him and it's been the best thing for him and for us. 

Go enjoy yourself!

imageCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • I don't see a problem as long as you still pick you child up like normal and their not the last one to get picked-up. You paid for teh day take it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nothing wrong with that.  We both took a day off this fall to go to the state fair and go car shopping while DD was at daycare.  You're paying for them to watch your child.  If you have other stuff you want or need to do, why not take advantage of it?!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't work on Fridays but 95% of the time DS still goes to daycare. We pay for the day either way, and it allows me to get chores/errands done so I have the weekend free. If I have absolutely nothing to do I'll keep him home and I can clean while he naps. I did feel a bit guilty initially, but he loves daycare, so I say take advantage of it!
    image Samuel (Photo by Gruman Photography)

• There are a lot of parents who do exactly that, have the kids in DC so that they can do something else besides work from time to time.  As PP have mentioned, as long as you pick up your kids on time your DCP doesn't really "care" what you're doing during the day while the kiddos are there.

Go skiing, have fun!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was a daycare teacher and we had parents that would often take the day off for the state fair, to get things done, or to go golfing. You're paying for the care so you might as well use it! Just let the teachers know how to reach you and what times you'll be dropping off/picking up. In my opinion parents deserve some "me time." :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"