Single Parents
Options

Divorce and name change?

When I went through the divorce process I had the option to change my name back and at the time I didn't think it was a big deal. Now that I have been divorced for a few months and my ex is being a jerk I would rather not have his last name anymore. 

I need some advice, I am not sure what I should do. 

What did you all do?

Re: Divorce and name change?

• Options
    My mom changed her name back. My sister and I always had issues at school and with health insurances because our last names didn't match. I think for the long term it's easier to have the same last name as your children. On the other hand it has only been a few months, you can still keep thinking about it for a while. 
  • Options
    My ex is seriously psychotic (seriously!), so I feel your pain!  But I'm keeping his name because I'm worried about stuff like pp stated.  It sucks, but it's my little guy's name, so I can't hate it too much.
    8418442352_4e02174cbd_o
    "Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."
    ~Dr. Suess
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ive been separated just over a year (the divorce is final this week) and I kept my married name so me and LO would  always have that together. I feel like its more important to have the same   last name as LO than worry about separating myself more from my ex.

And in the big picture Im more annoyed I share the same last name with my XILS   than my  XH lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live
  • Options
    My XH is basically obsessed with his name and demanded I change mine back. I never liked his name, so I figured it was one of those choose your battles type situations and changed my name. Looking back, I probably would have kept it due to issues with DS having a different last name. I haven't had any issues yet, but I have a copy of his birth certificate just in case. If you really hate it and are willing to deal with complications, I would change it.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"