Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Thing Thursday

1) With only 19 shopping days left... what kind of holiday shopper are you (alone for your wife, and as a couple)?  Do you have most of your shopping for people done before the season starts, do your shopping during the season, or scramble on Christmas Eve trying to find something in the last second chaos?

2) If you had a choice, would you have wanted to try to start your family (having kids), earlier, at the age you now, or wait a few more years?  Why?

3) For the sport fan dads out there, what made you root for your favorite team?  Family tradition?  Geographical location?  Any alternate reasons?

4 and 5 are yours.

Re: 5 Thing Thursday

• 1) With only 19 shopping days left... what kind of holiday shopper are you (alone for your wife, and as a couple)?  Do you have most of your shopping for people done before the season starts, do your shopping during the season, or scramble on Christmas Eve trying to find something in the last second chaos?

Normally, if the people in my life let me know what they want early enough, I like to be done before Thanksgiving.  I have worked enough retail holidays to know I'd like to avoid it if possible.  This year, due to the breakdown of money and a delay in my sister and brother-in-law's lists, we still have 3 presents left to buy.

2) If you had a choice, would you have wanted to try to start your family (having kids), earlier, at the age you now, or wait a few more years?  Why?

I might have wanted to start a few years earlier, only because if my wife and I can keep to our plan, I will be nearly 40 when we are done.  I was 35 when my son was born, when I was younger, I kind of saw myself done having kids at 35.  That being said, I think there is something to be said for having kids at the age I am now, I am in a better position than I would have been back then and feel like I am more patient (still something I occasionally need to work on) than I was when younger.

3) For the sport fan dads out there, what made you root for your favorite team?  Family tradition?  Geographical location?  Any alternate reasons?

OK, the breakdown.  Chicago Cubs is because that who my family rooted for, and with WGN, was one of the 2 teams easy to follow when over 100 miles away from Chicago.  Notre Dame football... great uncle played halfback for Knute Rockne, so family connection.  Indianapolis Colts and Indiana Pacers are geographical.  Indiana Hoosier basketball is because I went there for a few years... I root for the football team too, but wouldn't consider myself a big fan of them.

4) My wife just entered the 3rd trimester on Tuesday... I don't know where the time went.  You just don't have as much time to focus on the pregnancy when you have one already here I guess.  With our the pregnancy for our son, it was all about him because there was no one pulling our attention away and everyone wanted to know about him.  Now, with a very rambunctious toddler in the house, he demands so much attention that while the pregnancy is still very much in our minds, it is not the sole focus.  I guess when that is the case, the time gets lost.

5) My MIL got us Elf on a Shelf, and he's been relocating himself every day.  My son loves to try to find him.  He got named "Joe" because it was the first name we said that he repeated.  Now nearly every morning when he comes downstairs he walks around going "Joe?, Joe?" until he finds him.
  • 1) With only 19 shopping days left... what kind of holiday shopper are you (alone for your wife, and as a couple)?  Do you have most of your shopping for people done before the season starts, do your shopping during the season, or scramble on Christmas Eve trying to find something in the last second chaos?

We tend to be done at least a week or so before Christmas.  I like to spread the financial hit across November and December.  This year we didn't get as much done in November and we still have a lot to do.  Part of that is we are having trouble with gift ideas this year.

Definitely not earlier.  My wife was ready before I was.  I probably could have waited more, but I'm happy with where we are.

Ohio State - geography and family
    U. of Cincinnati - alma mater
    Cincinnati Reds - geography and family, I would watch and go to games with my grandpa
    Cleveland Browns - Picked this up from my dad growing up

4) We had our 16 week appointment on Tuesday.  Heartbeat was strong and fast.  They were able to reschedule our anatomy scan to Dec. 20th.  So now we will find out before traveling to see family for the holidays.  It will be fun to tell them in person.

5) Just had my year end performance review.  It went well, but I was nervous going in because it was the second year in a row that I was having a year end review with a new manager that was hired within the last two months.  That can make it difficult to get an honest appraisal.

• Loading the player...

I usually shop by myself, watching my wife spend all of our money hurts, I rather just see it online at work....that way I can cry alone. I also always wait till the last minute, but my job keeps my crazy busy around this time (Oscar season) so I try to get a lot done during lunch everyday. The lines are also shorter during that time too, so it's a win-win.

Um, I guess now is good. I was a little ridiculous in my twenties and raising a kid at that time would not have been idea. My wife and I are both working full time, doing what we like (she loves her job, jury is still out on me) and have a great house in a great neighbor and can afford to give our kid everything he needs. Guess now is pretty perfect.

Not really a sports guy. But the Rams kicked butt last weekend and since I'm originally from St. Louis, by default, I'm a fan. Plus I went to my first football game last year in St. Louis and it was pretty incredible. 

4) Not a whole lot new here. My kid is getting older and it's awesome watching him grow. He now loves to baby talk to any and all animals in his room. There is a monkey that hangs over his glider and when he is being burped he just looks up and talks to it and laughs to himself. Same thing with his farm animal mobile...they are his best friends and it's really adorable.

5) The kid starts daycare soon. We have orientation next Thursday and Friday where we have to take him and stay with him for a few hours and then that following Monday he is off. I'm kinda excited, I think he is going to grow and mature faster being around a diverse group of babies and several caregivers who all have different parenting styles. It will also be good for my wife to get out of the house more and I know she misses work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I pace myself.  I tend to get things for my wife a bit early.  some of the exchange gifts for my side of the family still haven't been purchased, but I should be done in the next week or so.

we started at the perfect age for us.  we got ourselves set financially but are  still young enough to have as many as we want.

I root for Penn State, and it's against everyone else in the family.  it started with football, but now it's every sport.  I started when I was in 4th or 5th grade, and they were the only team I saw on tv.  I lived in northern Wisconsin but got MN stations.  the gophers were too horrible to show on tv, and the badgers didn't come on until the evening on tape delay.  this was before every game was being shown on ESPN, so it was just the national game instead of the horrible regional teams.  hence, I saw Penn State on tv every Saturday, so they became my team.

4) one more 5k on Saturday, too bad I haven't been running since the last one 7 weeks ago.  this one might be rough.

5)  I'm on week 2 of p90x.  not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I imagined myself to be too sore to lift my arms.  instead, I've surprised myself with the things I've been able to do so far.  carrying around a 19 pound weight all day probably helps.

there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • 1) I try to knock out the people on my list early.  MW usually does on-line expect for her dad who always buys what we got him three days before Christmas so we wait until Christmas eve to buy him anything.  Same with his birthdays.  The rest I give my input on and let her do it.

2) It would have been nicer to start earlier, but I am more stable now even though I am in my early 40's.  If I had waited a few more years, my children would still be in school when I retire.

3) I root for the teams that I do because of where I spent my childhood.  I was born in PA while my dad was finishing up at Penn State.  We moved to Wisconsin where I picked up Green Bay.  Finally, after getting his PhD he moved us to Columbus to work at OSU.  So I don't have just one favorite team, I have multiple.

4,5) got to go put the LO to bed since the milk is near me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"