Natural Birth
Options

Book recommendations

Hello ladies! I am a FTM and am really hoping for a natural labor and birth. That said, I need to deliver at 38 weeks for medical reasons.  So, while I hope labor will start on its own, I know that I am likely getting induced. Even with an induction, I would like to go as natural as possible and I was hoping you might be able to point me in the direction of books that you found helpful. I'm sure this gets asked all the time, so I'm sorry for the probable repeat question! Thanks for your help!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TTC# 1 since 5/10
Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
DX: Unexplained IF
Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
TTC #2
IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
IVF #7 August 2019-....?

Re: Book recommendations

• Options

The book that really helped me the most was Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.  I also like The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth.

When you get close to your induction date, try using a breast pump to do nipple stimulation.  There is some evidence that this can improve your Bishop score, making your cervix more favorable for labor or for a successful induction.  You can also ask about having your membranes swept.  GL 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I loved reading Natural Hospital Birth by Cynthia Gabriel. It was packed full of information.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I felt empowered by the stories of birth in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Ricky Lake's new book Your Best Birth.

Ask your OB about the foley bulb, it is inserted into your cervix if you are already dilated to 1cm, I think. It pulses your cervix open slowly to 4cm, at 4cms most women will go into active labor. Have lots of sex from week 36 on, your hubby's semen will help thin the cervix. The stress relief can't hurt either.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I also read Cynthia Gabriel's book.  It packed with information.  Don't get discouraged about what she says about trying to avoid being induced.  I think she was just talking about in a best case scenario.  I found everything she had to say very informative, comforting, and empowering.  Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto the books that are listed!!

Very empowering and informative.
    dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I found many things she said in there helpful and encouraging. I only read about half of the birthstories though.

Also, other words of encouragement: I went in to labor at 38w3d "fairly" naturally. What I mean by that is I was on restricted diet/diet controlled GD and was trying to do whatever I could to avoid induction as well. Some things I did:

I did squats and lunges very regularly, as well as multiple stairs/daily at work.

I started bouncing on an exercise ball nightly/for at least an hour at 36wks.

Evening Primrose 500mg capsules. One capsule/3x a day. I skipped the one vaginally. I planned on starting that at 38wks, but wanted to wait until my 38wk appt to see if they were helping at all. This appt happened to be at 38wk3d when I went into labor anyway, so there was no time. However, at this appt I was a 3 and "very soft".

Lastly, at this appt, I had my membranes stripped which made the contractions that I was already having regularly (but couldn't feel) Stronger, Longer, and Closer together! I had my membranes stripped at noon on Friday and had my LO at 4:26am on Saturday.

Good luck! Stay Positive! Even if you do have to be induced, there are many women who still end up having a successful med free birth!

P.S. Any other reading I did were threads on this board! Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"