Working Moms
Options

Pedi Appointments

Luckily we have a pedi that is open until 9 at night, and open for sick appts. only on Saturday mornings.  This is part of the reason I picked this pedi - because I want to be able to get there w/o taking a lot of time off, which I already do when DD's sick because we don't have family around - so we are sick care!

So, anyway, I've finally gotten DD in for her 1 yr. checkup at 13 (almost 14) months today (after she was sick once and couldn't get shots, and then after we had to travel unexpectedly for a funeral).  So...now she has an ear infection - so...no shots!  We have to schedule a new shot appt. and a follow up appt.  Both of which will fall right around when we're traveling home for Christmas.

So...I was trying to schedule an appointment for the evenings sometime when we're not traveling.  The receptionist was pretty adamant that it had to be a certain day in the morning.  She looked at me like I was crazy when I said we really could only do after 6pm (ok...I could technically take time off, but I have only about 2 hours of sick time remaining...ugh!).  She looked at me like I don't love my kid enough to take time off work to do what's best for her!  Eventually she finally reworked something (?) and got DD in later in the evening, but with a different dr. than the one she saw tonight, and with a look that had "you should feel guilty for prioritizing your work over your child" written all over it!

So, question, am I being unreasonable to ask that DD get an evening appointment instead of taking time off to get her in how they see most fit?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Pedi Appointments

• Options
    imagebearsbearsbears:

Yes, I do think it's unreasonable. It's likely that your doctor has evening appointments set up as sick visits--not vaccine or well-child visits. Their priority is to see sick children in those slots.

I would talk to your docto';s office about how they schedule their appointments.  It's hard to imagine that  you'd be able to get evening vaccination appointments anywhere though.  We usually schedule them for the end of the day (4 pm) so that we have to miss a minimum of work.

I disagree, if that was the policy the she should have said that. It sounds like you have done well visits in the evening for this visit and probably others so if that is the case I don't think it is unreasonable at all. How comfortable are you delaying the shots for two,weeks and just doing after the holidays or your trip? Can your SO take her one day during the day? Or can you flex your hours and work two hrs later to not have to use you time? 

• Options
    As long as you're willing to wait until the next available one that works for you and the doc, I see no problem.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think you're reading a bit much into her "looks".  As someone said, as it's around the holidays, they probably have a smaller staff and the more people who want later appointments - it may affect others' schedules so she's trying to avoid that.  It's probably more about them than you. 

Now, that being said, her attitude sucks.  If they are truly open until 9, then they should be able to give you an appointment as long as something is open.  I'm sure they do have a smaller staff (like only certain doctors work certain nights, which is why you're seeing a different doctor), but if there was a genuine problem w/ your request- she should have explained that.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Not at all. If they want those times reserved for sick visits, then they have to specifically state that. If they want to leave early those days because it's close to Christmas, then they should close early. If they're open and taking appointments, then you can schedule for whenever you want. It's not like you're kid is violently ill and you're refusing to take them in until you're done with work. These are routine shots. Important? Yes, but it's not life or death if they have to wait a week so you don't get in trouble at work.
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    imagebearsbearsbears:

Yes, I do think it's unreasonable. It's likely that your doctor has evening appointments set up as sick visits--not vaccine or well-child visits. Their priority is to see sick children in those slots.

I would talk to your docto';s office about how they schedule their appointments.  It's hard to imagine that  you'd be able to get evening vaccination appointments anywhere though.  We usually schedule them for the end of the day (4 pm) so that we have to miss a minimum of work.

If they were sick visit slots, the receptionist should say that. My pedi is open for any and all appointments until 8pm Monday through Friday. I schedule all of her appointments for after work. But, if I tried to schedule routine shots or a well visit for Saturday or Sunday morning, they'd simply tell me no.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I just called my pedi to schedule ds's 2 year appt and was told that during the busy cold and flu season, they only take sick visits on evenings and weekends. The rest of the year they will do well visits those times. Maybe your pedi does the same.
    I do agree that they should have given you a reason and the receptionist should lose the attitude.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hmm...maybe I'll have to ask them about this more.

I did hear her say Monday evenings are sick appts. only, and I know Saturdays always have been.  But I've always made well appointments in the evenings before.  I think it was more an issue of the dr. who just saw DD wasn't going to be there in the evenings except on a few days.  I see the reasoning for them wanting him to see her for the follow-up, but I would really like to have DD's ears straightened out before traveling 6 hours with her and being out of state for about a week!  I guess they did work it out, so I should be glad for that!   

• Options

imagemainerocks:
    Are you going back just for shots? I'm surprised they don't just have the nurse do that and skip the doc altogether?

The appointment I have to make is for a follow up to the ear infections.  The dr. I saw said to just call back this week if DD is feeling well to get shots.  Hopefully we can just get in with a nurse for that one!

• Options

why do you care waht the receptionist at the doctor thinks?

Make the appointments when you want, whatever works for you/your family.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"