Natural Birth
Options

classes too long for us

I'm really interested in the Bradley method, but there is no way DH and I could do a 12 week course. He travels way too much for work, and his time home is totally unpredictable. I thought of just having someone else come to the class, but that hardly seems worth it since they won't be at my labor.

So what do you think my other good options are? Just reading a book, an online class, trying a different method?

Thank for any input!

Also, just FYI, I will be having a hospital birth in a hospital that is fairly friendly to natural childbirth and a with a doctor who is the same.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: classes too long for us

• Options

Hire a doula.

Read lots of books. There are even Bradley books if the method appeals to you but the schedule doesn't work.

Personally, reading and a doula were totally adequate. I read a lot, DH didn't. The doula filled the gap and let him know what to do and kept him calm. We did do the 3 night general hospital birth class, but it was kind of a waste of time. 

Check out the FAQ in my siggy.

• Options
    From what I know of Bradley, I'm not really a fan anyway so I'd say fine to skip.  We didn't do any classes nor did I have a doula (although I think they are great!).  I did read a ton and prepped my DH.    So totally doable ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I totally didn't want to do weeks of classes...we did books, birth stories and a couple crash course hospital classes. Two natural births ;)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You can contact Bradley instructors in your area and see if they offer a condensed course.  We had a Bradley instructor offer to come to our home for three, three hour classes in my third trimester.  We had lots of homework to do in between.  It may not work for everyone, and we missed out on meeting other couples, but it helped us prepare for the kind of birth experience we wanted.  And, it didn't cost any more than the 12 week class would have.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagencbelle:
    From what I know of Bradley, I'm not really a fan anyway so I'd say fine to skip.  We didn't do any classes nor did I have a doula (although I think they are great!).  I did read a ton and prepped my DH.    So totally doable ;)

I'd love to know what your hesitations are about bradley... I'm just starting to look into it all. 

• Options

My biggest hesitations are the cost and time commitment. I think it makes it out that you need 12x3 hours of prep, plus homework, to give birth. And I think that is crap.

I also think the diet, and the guilt about the diet if you don't follow it, are nuts.

• Options
    I felt the same about the length of Bradley classes. I took a hynobirthing class and it was just 5 weeks/ sessions, and philosophically it really worked for me. You may want to check that out.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options
    We took one single day class that covered childbirth, breast feeding, and infant care. I did some basic reading and talked to my doctor. I was induced at 41.5 weeks and still managed to give birth otherwise naturally. What was key for me wasn't so much anything that I read or learned in the class (though that was all useful to one degree or another) but knowing that I could depend on my husband and feeling sure of my ability to do this. Once you have that feeling of security and someone you can put yourself safely into their care when/if you do start feeling out of control, the biggest part is done. 
  • Options
    Everyone is different.  Everyone births differently and copes differently.  What might work great for one would person would be a total waste of time for another.  Grab a couple of different books from the library and see what appeals to you.  Several of the commonly liked ones are Birthing from Within, Mindful Birthing, Hypnobabies (self-study course) or Hypnobabies, The Lamaze Guide, and Natural Hospital Childbirth.  Get the Birth Partner for your spouse.  Once you have a better idea of what appeals most to your own plan or personality, then you can narrow down what sort of class to take.  Bradley likely isn't the right method for you if your birth coach won't be available to take the class.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"