Potty Training
Options

Early Potting Training Method

Did anyone train before 24 months? Which method did you use? 

Re: Early Potting Training Method

• Options

My kids were 17 (DS) & 15 (DD) months old when we PT- they were fully PT for daytime, naps and bedtime.  We CD so at 1 year old we took the fleece liners out of their diapers.  Within a month they started telling us after they went potty and we noticed that they either stoppped or didn't pee so much during naps/bedtime.  We waited until DS was 17 months because I was pregnant and just decided to do it on maternity leave.  Because of their young ages, our goal was for them to just hold it for 2 hours- we didn't want to have to watch for signs or even wait for them to tell us- we felt that was too much pressure.  So on day 1 we set a timer for every 30 minutes.  If they they went potty they got an M&M (it was their first time ever having chocolate).  We would congratulate them throughout the day for having dry underwear.  If they had an accident we didn't make a big deal of it.  Day 2 we took them every 1 hr and day 3 it was every 2 hours.  We were both surprised that it was SUPER easy- not stressful (in fact my 15 month old had 1 accident).  They were PT by day 3.  By the end of the week they were actually telling us before they had to go so we no longer took them on a schedule. 

We choose to do naps and bedtime at the same time because I felt at their age it was too confusing to say keep your underwear dry except for when you sleep.  So for bedtime, we had them go prior to bedtime (@8pm) and then we would wake them up to go pee before we went to bed @10-11pm.  This taught them it was okay to wake up and go potty and also that they were to stay dry.  We did this for @2 weeks-1 month.  They always woke up dry and then we stopped and they continued to wake up dry.  They are now 2 1/2 & 4 and we've never had regression issues.  Hope this helps!

• Options

DD2 PTed at 18 months. She is completely day trained and I am planning to start waking her once at night to see if she can be night trained as well. 

We used gummy bears for our girls which was a HUGE treat for them both! Honestly, I would remind her some but she was pretty good about knowing when to go.

We always go before/after car trips, before/after meals, before/after sleep.

I will say SOME kids (DD1) know they have to go, and what they are doing, but can't relax their bodies to make it come it. It took her longer and she was 2 when she 'got it'. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We started EC PT at 13m and then went FT at 20m when I left my job. At 21m he is in underwear except for overnight.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"