Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Help me with diaper burn

I have been CD since DS was 3 months old. He just turned 2. In the past month, he has developed AWFUL burn on his bottom, particularly around his butt crack and the cheeks close to that. He will cry and scream "hurt hurt" when we change diapers. 

I have stripped and stripped (some times doing an overnight soak in hot water, followed by dawn and rinsing a million times) but mostly just using the Dawn. His diapers have no smell to them at all. I have disposable diapered him overnight because none of the hemp dipes I have can hold his urine and they smelled SO bad in the mornings. We have never been 100% CD people, so he does get disposables now and then. 

With that said, I am starting to wonder if it's not his diet. After multiple creams, we finally discovered mylanta and aquafor mixed together helped cure the burn quickly. I had hoped it was a 2 time thing but this afternoon, the burn is back with a vengeance and he is in a lot of pain. 

He's in the disposables now since you cannot use the aquafor with cloth. I hate the idea of not being able to use cloth anymore- but I don't want him to keep getting this.

Any ideas? And any ideas on what foods I could try cutting out? I had thought melon and certain fruits, but I am still doing some research on what fruits can cause highly acidic BMs.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have any advice?

The pedi has seen it and she was the one who recommended the mylanta/aquafor mixture. She also hates disposables due to the chemicals, but understands I do not want to ruin my dipes with certain creams. She also suggested cutting fruit out of his diet.

TIA.  

Re: Help me with diaper burn

• Options
    Is the rash a result of diarrhea?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Poor little guy!   I assume since your Pedi saw it a yeast infection was ruled out.

Is it possible that it could be a wheat, soy, or dairy allergy?  I would definitely back off of fruits and try an elimination diet.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageacaudill75:
    Is the rash a result of diarrhea?

The first time, yes, as a side effect of amoxicillan for a sinus infection. But he has been off of that for 3 weeks now.

He does poop a lot- 3 or 4 times a day (which seems like a lot to me, not sure what is normal though).  

• Options
    The reason I ask is because about a month ago, my daughter had some sort of virus where she had diarrhea for almost a week. Her rash was so bad we had to do the mylanta mixed with an Rx cream. She still has a a darkening of the skin on her tush where the rash was. We cut out all dairy until she had pooped solid for several days, which was hard because she likes her yogurt and milk and cheese, etc. I think the amount is normal if that is what he normally poops. The stomach acid from the virus and sitting in the diaper for more than five seconds I think is what causes the rash, and if it doesn't completely go away, it just keeps flaring up. I used the squirt bottle they gave me from delivering DD2 to squirt warm water on the older one's tush when changing her rather than wipes. Just put a wadded up towel under them, squirt until they are clean, pat dry really well, and apply a ton of cream. DD1 fought me for almost a week after she was healed because she was scared it was going to hurt, but she got over it.
  • Options

imageacaudill75:
    The reason I ask is because about a month ago, my daughter had some sort of virus where she had diarrhea for almost a week. Her rash was so bad we had to do the mylanta mixed with an Rx cream. She still has a a darkening of the skin on her tush where the rash was. We cut out all dairy until she had pooped solid for several days, which was hard because she likes her yogurt and milk and cheese, etc. I think the amount is normal if that is what he normally poops. The stomach acid from the virus and sitting in the diaper for more than five seconds I think is what causes the rash, and if it doesn't completely go away, it just keeps flaring up. I used the squirt bottle they gave me from delivering DD2 to squirt warm water on the older one's tush when changing her rather than wipes. Just put a wadded up towel under them, squirt until they are clean, pat dry really well, and apply a ton of cream. DD1 fought me for almost a week after she was healed because she was scared it was going to hurt, but she got over it.

Your poor baby! That sounds just awful!

• Options
    We're going through this right now due to the diarrhea that was a side effect of the amoxicillan he was taking since last Friday.  And then without thinking we fed him tomato-based pasta sauces and clementines for days.  Poor baby had horrible rashes that were bright red and bumpy.  We finally stopped the meds yesterday and no longer gave him the other foods.  The doc recommended bananas, oatmeal, and yogurt to make the poop more solid.  It's mildly better but if it doesn't get better in a couple of days I might ask my doc about the mylanta/aquaphor mixture pp mentioned.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"