August 2012 Moms
Options

gagging

DS sometimes puts his hand in his mouth so far he gags himself and sometimes he throws up.

DH gets really frustrated and says it's not normal and he does it on purpose because he likes throwing up.

I say he's just a baby and it's normal. Anyone else's baby do this?

Re: gagging

• Options

It's normal.

DD loves sucking on her fingers and gags herself sometimes.  Both my nieces did it/still do it.  It happens.

• Options
    Totally. I think they have really strong gag reflexes as a defense mechanism. Yesterday he puked all over the monkey from his playmat because he had its ear in his mouth. It was so gross!
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DD tries to stick all her fingers in her mouth all the time but she hasn't thrown up yet.  When my cousin's little boy was little he would actually do it and throw up, she would get his hand out of his mouth whenever he tried but it was hard.   When he got a little older and she would have to give him medicine for anything he would throw it up on purpose so she would have to get creative about it.  However, I don't think he enjoyed throwing up at all.  

I don't think when they are that little they realize what they are doing.   He probably just got his hand stuck in there.   I definately don't think he likes throwing up.   When DD tries putting her hand in her mouth I just take it out and try a paci for a little while until she is over putting something in her mouth.   Seems to work most of the time even though she doesn't really care for the Paci.  Also, I put her paci in the fridge and she seems to enjoy that the best.  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Totally normal. My LO sucks on her hands constantly pretty much all day long. She gags herself pretty frequently. They'll outgrow it.

They definitely aren't doing it for attention...and I really don't know anyone who "enjoys" throwing up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD does it daily. She fits three fingers down her throat then looks surprised when she gags. She gives me a look like "what happened!?" I just tell her she did it.

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • Options
    DD does this all the time but has only puked once. They are just exploring, they don't really do anything on purpose yet. Its totally normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies. I think he throws up from it because of reflux. I tell DH that it probably actually hurts because of the reflux. Of course he doesn't enjoy it.
  • Options
    Jacqueline started doing this, she doesn't throw up, but she sucks on her hand, gags and then looks at me like "what just happened?"

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    A baby's gag reflex is in the middle of their mouth, not in the back like ours; so it's very easy to gag themselves.

Ds sucks on his index finger, and gags himself a lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD does not throw up but she tries really hard to get both fists in her mouth and gags.  I think it is perfectly normal.  They want to suck on something to soothe themselves and their hands are readily available.

995468_10151780121619767_1204953917_n
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh yeah, baby's are infamous for gagging themselves!  Crazy little people! 

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

• Options
    My son does this all the time! His whole hand is always in his mouth!  He found his thumb so I'm hoping the gagging stops soon.  It can get gross.
  • Options
    DS hasn't thrown up but he will gag and cough.

• Options
    DS does the same thing.  I was joking that he is bulimic, but I just dont think he makes the connection between his fingers and the gagging in time to get them out before he vomits.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"