Cloth Diapering

no cloth at daycare

The daycare we are interested in using does not allow cloth diapers. I plan to bring it up again/show them what it actually involves, but let's assume they won't budge. Is it still worth doing cloth only half the time? My husband thinks if we have to do disposables half the time, then we might as well not bother with cloth.

Does anyone here have the same issue? Do you use cloth only half the time? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: no cloth at daycare

• My daycare is ok with it, so I don't have your issue. However, I would still CD at home.  You would still be exposing your little ones skin to less plastic/chemicals from fewer disposables, contributing less waste to landfills, and I would think still save some money over buying all disposables.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I SAH, so I don't have the same issue, but I personally wouldn't use disposables at home for several reasons. The chemicals in disposables make me uneasy, I don't like creating a ton of waste, and lastly I think disposables are disgusting and smell terrible.

If your DCP still doesn't budge, see if you can get a note from your pediatrician prescribing them. There have been several moms on here who have done just that to get CDs into daycare.

imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Loading the player...
  • We chose our daycare specifically because they accepted cloth diapers. Obviously we liked them otherwise as well, but I would be upset that a daycare would refuse to abide by a simple request - it's as easy as putting a diaper in a zippered bag instead of a trash can, what's so hard about that? I would worry about what other requests they would refuse in the future. 

I don't know if I would CD if they wouldn't use them at daycare. On some days, that would mean only his overnight diaper would be cloth. Maybe just on the weekends? 

Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • I don't know if my DC will use cloth, I haven't asked them yet.  But the cost of my DC includes disposible diapers and wipes.  I won't ever have to bring them there.  So with that said, my LO uses their disposibles at DC and then I use cloth at home (evenings, nights, and weekends).  It's still worth it to me because we won't have to buy disposibles ever if we don't want to and you still go through a lot of diapers at home.  I see it as any cloth you use is better none and you won't need to put as much money into a stash.  You will still be saving money.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • imagemon.petit.chou:

The daycare we are interested in using does not allow cloth diapers. I plan to bring it up again/show them what it actually involves, but let's assume they won't budge. Is it still worth doing cloth only half the time? My husband thinks if we have to do disposables half the time, then we might as well not bother with cloth.

Does anyone here have the same issue? Do you use cloth only half the time? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

We recently changed daycares and the new one won't do cloth (it's military based, so there's no budging). We do cloth at home and I still prefer it this way. Cloth holds in blowouts so much better than disposables do, we don't have to wash poopy clothing all the time or deal with stains on clothing, we don't have to deal with stinky disposables in the trash. I find it's still worth it even at half time. We mostly do cloth for economical and ecological reasons, so even only half the time, it's still half the diapers that we have to spend money on or throw in a landfill.

We put a disposable on LO before we leave the house for DC and I change LO into cloth when I pick him up.  We buy a Costco box and it lasts us close to 2 months this way.

• imagetheresat858:
    imageWAMOM:

We CD at home on nights and weekends because DC wouldn't allow cloth diapers. period. She thinks of cloth diapers that were around 20 years ago. I will bring it up again since we are more comfortable with cloth. But I'm expecting the same answer.

It is worth it IMO to still CD when you can. You will notice a difference. We were spending about $50/mo on disposables now that is cut more than in half and we have definitely appreciated the little bit of savings.

Good luck in your decision!

why not just show her a modern cloth diaper -- a Velcro pocket?   We have had two providers who both looked at me like I was crazy when I said cloth diapers, but were ok with it once I showed them our aplix pre stuffed pockets and the wet bag.  

Honestly, I would seek a different daycare, but I love my CDs. 

This. When most people hear cloth diaper they imagine a prefold and rubber pants. Our DC was hesitant until we brought in our BG 4.0 aplix diapers. We got a big ol' "Ooohhhh that's fine." when they realized what we were asking for. 

FWIW, DS's first daycare didn't do CDs and we still cloth diapered part time. We knew we'd be moving him as soon as he aged into the other center in town though, so we knew it was temporary. 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• imagestemms8810:
    But the cost of my DC includes disposible diapers and wipes.nbsp.

This is a similar situation to my dc, only they provide a cloth diaper service and wipes in the cost. I am seriously spoiled, since that means a lot less diaper washing for me at home. You could try to convince your dc to cloth diaper with a service, its probably cheaper than providing sposies.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• I'm hoping once I show them how simple an AIO is for them, they might reconsider. But of course, there's no guarantee. I would really like to stick with this daycare because they are at my work which means i will be able to go and breastfeed everyday at lunchtime. It's not worth it to me to give that up just to find a place that will use cloth.

Thanks for your input!

• imagetheresat858:
    imageWAMOM:

We CD at home on nights and weekends because DC wouldn't allow cloth diapers. period. She thinks of cloth diapers that were around 20 years ago. I will bring it up again since we are more comfortable with cloth. But I'm expecting the same answer.

It is worth it IMO to still CD when you can. You will notice a difference. We were spending about $50/mo on disposables now that is cut more than in half and we have definitely appreciated the little bit of savings.

Good luck in your decision!

why not just show her a modern cloth diaper -- a Velcro pocket?   We have had two providers who both looked at me like I was crazy when I said cloth diapers, but were ok with it once I showed them our aplix pre stuffed pockets and the wet bag.  

Honestly, I would seek a different daycare, but I love my CDs. 

This is exactly what I was thinking.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"