February 2013 Moms
Options

Ugh. Depressing MW appointment.

Want to know the worst part about having to travel an hour and a half to see your MW?  Arriving there only to find out you've gained 13 pounds in one month and your iron levels fell two points in two months.  Ugh.

I'm mad at my mom's scale right now.  I weighed myself on it the day after Thanksgiving and according to it I had only put on four pounds this month.  So either I put on nine pounds in one week or my mom's scale LIES.  Crying

My MWs are awesome and told me that since my diet hasn't changed at all and I'm not showing any other signs that would cause them to be concerned about the weight gain (swelling, protein in urine, etc.) that my body is just gaining what it needs to for the baby.  They could tell I was depressed and just kept trying to cheer me up.

On a good note, baby flipped to head down, which is one less thing to worry about.  My uterus is measuring right on track, my urine looked good, sugar levels were great, and the heartbeat was strong.  I guess I'll take 13 pounds of fat for that news...

Re: Ugh. Depressing MW appointment.

• Options

I think you mean 13 pounds of baby, amniotic fluid, and extra blood! 

Plus I doubt you've really gained that much.  Scales are weird sometimes.  Did you drink a lot of water before you went?  In my Weight Watchers days, I noticed that I would get on the scale in the morning, and then again after I went to the gym and drank a ton of water and I'd be two pounds heavier just from all the water still sitting in my stomach.  If you'd really gained 13 pounds of fat, you'd feel it in the way your clothes fit. 

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I know, I gained 6lbs in three weeks and my doctor had "the talk" with me at my appt. yesterday about how at 27lbs gained at 27.5 weeks, I was getting closer to the top of the 25-35lb range and she really doesn't want me going over 40lbs. Sigh. 
    Married 2/15/09, BFP #1 02/03/12 - EDD 10/13/12, Missed M/C 03/15/12@9w5d (measuring 8w3d) They weren't kidding when they said "Beware the Ides of March" Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP#2 06/13/12 - Emily Samantha born on Feb 9, 2013!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagedbowitz:
    I know, I gained 6lbs in three weeks and my doctor had "the talk" with me at my appt. yesterday about how at 27lbs gained at 27.5 weeks, I was getting closer to the top of the 25-35lb range and she really doesn't want me going over 40lbs. Sigh. 

See, my MWs are the opposite.  I was the one nearly in tears because I feel like such a fatty.  I've put on 36 pounds so far with this pregnancy.  But my MWs kept trying to tell me that it is fine and I'm healthy regardless.

• Options
    image+adamwife+:

Arriving there only to find out you've gained 13 pounds in one month and your iron levels fell two points in two months.  Ugh.

This was me at my 24 week appointment. Crying 13lbs in a month. I was eating horribly though. Made some adjustments to my diet and I was only up by 5lbs at my last appointment. I feel your pain.

Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • Options
    I gained a lot with Z and it was despressing. This time I was watching what I ate and then my MW got on me and wants me to snack more. Yeah....she tells me that right before TG. Thanks!. She doesn't weigh me, but she can tell just from my body. I weighed myself this morning and in total I have gained 25lbs already. I really wanted to stay with in the recommended weight, so that gives me only 10lbs in the next 2 months. We shall see.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    image+adamwife+:

imagedbowitz:

See, my MWs are the opposite.  I was the one nearly in tears because I feel like such a fatty.  I've put on 36 pounds so far with this pregnancy.  But my MWs kept trying to tell me that it is fine and I'm healthy regardless.

There could have been a lot of reasons for your weight gain like pp said - did you eat salty things the day before and were retaining water? I know my weight goes up and down and depending on what day I weigh in and what time of day, my weight could be a couple pounds off. If your midwife isn't concerned, then try not to beat yourself up too much - just try to get more activity in and cut your portions a little bit. 

Married 2/15/09, BFP #1 02/03/12 - EDD 10/13/12, Missed M/C 03/15/12@9w5d (measuring 8w3d) They weren't kidding when they said "Beware the Ides of March" Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP#2 06/13/12 - Emily Samantha born on Feb 9, 2013!
  • Options

Thanks, ladies.  Apart from the 2-3 days around Thanksgiving, my eating habits haven't been any different this month than any other month.  I stick to the Brewer Diet my MWs have me on and avoid junk. 

Maybe I was retaining water.  Appointment was at the same time as it always is.  This is the most I have ever gained in a month during any of my pregnancies, so I'm just shocked.  I don't understand it at all.

• Options
    The only reason I'd ever be worried about that much sudden weight gain is if baby's fluid levels were rapidly increasing at a dangerous rate. An unexpected 9lbs of fat?? Even if that's what it was, you'll be burning that off between caring for the 4 little ones and the postnatal changes to your milk composition/production. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options

I weight myself every day at home, but I never look at the scale at the doctor's office because they ALWAYS weight you heavier than you really are.  I say pick with a scale and stick with that one.  To heck with the other scales.

If it makes you feel better I literally gained 3 pounds in a day--ONE DAY.  I was certain it was bloat, but its been 3 days and it hasn't gone away.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"