Breastfeeding
Options

pumping at work HELP

I posted about this a while ago but Im still feeling lost...

I will be working one, ten hour day a week. every other day baby is with me. i go to work tomorrow and I am really scared that I will not be able to pump. They have given me 2 30-minute breaks for pumping but I have tried at home and nothing is coming out :(  Im really nervous that I will end up engorged and leaking all day long. The longest I have gone without feeding is 6 hours and they were FULL.

any tips for what I should do if Im not getting any milk out? Im more nervous about this than starting the new job! My plan is to try pumping again today and to load up my bra with breast pads just in case...

* thank you for the advice, Im going to look over the pump today to make sure that all of the pieces are in good condition.

I should have mentioned that we do supplement with formula... Ive been working half days on saturdays for a while and I wasnt pumping because I was not gone for to long and he would just FF when I was gone. So Im not so much concerned about getting enough milk, I more concerned with engorgement and leaking issues. I will try to relax and I think I may try to manually pump both sides at the same time (if this doesnt work I will invest in a double electric) Ive heard that double pumping is more effective.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: pumping at work HELP

• Options
    Is your pump in good, working order? Aka membranes are good, no cracks in tubing, etc.? Also, are your flanges the right size? Even if they were in the beginning sometimes it can change. Then there is what happened to me...I was renting a ameda hg pump and was only getting about 2 oz total while pumping for my stAsh. I finally bought a medela pisa and now I get about 4....I think I just respond better to the pisa. hope it works out! I also go back to work MondAy and am terrified I won't be able to pump enough!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm not sure what advice you have received before but if it isn't a pump issue then I would say find something that helps you relax. Staring at the bottles and stressing will make things worse. Try bringing a picture of your baby with you or playing some music. Make sure to do compressions while you are pumping as well. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was very nervous my first few days back as well. You HAVE to relax before you being pumping to get a good letdown going. Try looking at LOs pics or video. Rad a book or use a tablet to keep your mind off of pumping. Use compressions to keep flow going. It's slow going a first but one fully your body will get used to the pump.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    If your home pumps were in addition to bf your lo that may be why you didn't get anything. If you are engorged and leaking you should be able to get milk pretty easily. But I don't think you will be. You will be fine!
    Also do compressions like pp said.
  • Options
    Deep breaths Mama, seriously relaxing is the biggeat key here. looks like you have a manual hand pump ? When I am full but prior to leaking I can pump both sides switching back an forth and empty my breast in about 13 minutes with my manual advent pump so the 30 minute time frame should work for you. I think I remember your original post are you LE? I would pump the 1st right at the number of hours you are normally away on a Saturday, that way you can stay ahead of a pumping, since we know you body can do that many hours on a regular basis. also then you don't get stuck on a call when you are too full. Best of luck everything will get easier with time
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"