High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Toxoplasmosis- Freaking out here :-(

Hi, I hope this is the right section to bring this up. 

I just got my blood tests back and they have confirmed that I have Toxoplasmosis. I have googled to find out more about it and it sounds scary as hell. I am about 15 weeks pregnant. I am waiting for an appointment for an amnio test. I am not sure how long it will take to get an appointment but I am going to fight to get it as soon as possible. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? I really need to hear your story, positive or negative.  

Thank you... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Toxoplasmosis- Freaking out here :-(

• Options
    Really just wanted to say I am wishing the best for your LO. So sorry you are dealing with this stress.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Why did they test you for this? I have an indoor/outdoor cat and love to garden. I've had my cat for 12 years and been scooping poop the whole time. I asked my OB about getting screened for toxo, and he said that the titer is not specific to initial infection. The initial infection is apparently what is teratogenic to the fetus. 

For that reason he said that he would test me if I wanted, but didn't advise it because I likely have already been exposed and could have a positive test.

Read up more on this, hopefully everything will be fine. I'm assuming you've discussed all of this with your OB, but you might want to call before the amnio to get some more information. Just because the amnio has its own risks. GL and let us know how it goes.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for your responses. What a shi**y night.

I was tested because it's routine here in Canada. They do blood tests (I got eight vials taken) and I think they pretty much test for everything. Thank god. I would rather get a positive and get more tests than nothing at all until the baby was born. If I were you I would get tested. I will have to read about this titer thing you are talking about. They did say that it was an "active infection" though.

There are so many places I could have gotten it from when I think about it. I have an indoor/outdoor cat who is being treated for fleas right now. I ate a rare steak before I found out I was pregnant. I could have gotten it from eating an apple and not washing it properly. Who knows. 

• Options
    I don't have a story to share, but I'm so sorry you are dealing with this - I hope everything from here on out goes smoothly for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any experience either, but I pray that everything is OK.
  • Options
    I hope everything is okay, thinking of you.

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• Options
    I know this is old, but I was just wondering how everything turned out for you as I am going through the same thing right now..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"