Cloth Diapering
Options

Snaps vs. Aplix

Question for moms who have cloth diapered more than one child with cloth: Which held up bettersnaps or aplix? I intend to diaper LO and a future LO with the same stash, so I really want to stock with that in mind. Also, we are starting out with Bumgenius pockets and prefolds with Thirstiest Duo Wraps. Thinking of adding Flips or Rumparooz pockets. Suggestions?
Thanks Mamas!!
BabyName Ticker

Re: Snaps vs. Aplix

• Options
    I have bumgenius pockets, flips, and Thirsties duo wraps. I love them all.

I only have a few Thirsties in aplix and I won't be getting more unless its for a newborn, short term use. DD is 9 months old and she already noticed how much fun aplix is to play with. I have to put a onesie over any aplix diapers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    snaps for sure
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I prefer snaps... the aplix comes undone from the laundry tabs, gets stuck to the inserts and microsuede/fleece and tears them up in the wash...at least for me...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Snaps are more durable but hook and loop is more adjustable. We have a mix of both because hubby prefers hook and loop. I have snap pliers so as soon as the hook and loop is worn out I will convert them to snaps myself.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Snaps hold up better by 10x, but, aplix can be easier to find a snug fit, which is so important when you have a squirmy baby. We have both, mostly snaps.
    Lachlan
    born March 2012
  • Options
    Other than a few dipes that didn't have an snap option I have almost all snaps.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Aplix for newborn stuff - it's easier to get a good fit and doesn't get used for that long. All of my nb stash was used and most of it Aplix - it was fine.

Snaps for beyond, especially if you're getting Thirsties or BumGenius/Flips products. I do not have good things to say about their Aplix. At all.

If you find you love Aplix, though, the Aplix on my Bummis and Kawaii Heavy Duty Square Tabs are holding up rather well. Two of my Bummis covers were even acquired used and still look pretty good.

• Options
    I don't have my LO yet but from everything I've read snaps hold up better so everything I have in my stash has snaps.
  • Options
    I have a mix of both.  I don't really have a preference.  Aplix was so much better for when DD was an infant and super squirmy during changes - we got a better fit. My mom watches DD and prefers the ease of Aplix. Snaps are more durable though.
  • Options
    Snaps hold up better, but I think I would have quit if that's all I had. There was a good 6-8 months where getting him to stay still for a snap diaper was nearly impossible. A mix is really best - aplix fits better when baby is small, too.
  • Options

I agree that a mix is best.  We have mostly snaps for daytime but prefer aplix at night.  DS is a tummy sleeper and without a really tight fit we have leaks from the waist. 

I also agree that the BG/Flip aplix is the worst!  Right now I'm using a Boingo on my BG aplix to keep the tabs from slipping.  When that no longer works I'll have them converted to snaps or have the aplix replaced with touch tape.  I like the velcro from Tots Bots and RaR.  Blueberry isn't bad either.  I've also tried Happy Heiny aplix.  It seems to hold up really well but I have trouble getting the laundry tabs to stay so they end up being a PIA for me.

OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    we did all snaps and 2 applix just to see.....I fully recommend snaps. Aplix gets ugly and pilly.
  • Options
    Aplix for newborn and size small.  It's way easier to get the fit right.  Snaps if you have diaper removing older kids
  • Options
    I actually like aplix better, but most are snaps for durability and resale.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We really liked the custom fit of aplix when DS was smaller, but recently (after about 18 months of continuous use) we had to send all of our dipes to be converted to snaps. The aplix was completely shot. We always used the laundry tabs and lined dried, but alas - it was ka-put.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options
    With 5 animals of my own and my renter, who uses our machines, having 3 cats, we opted for mainly snaps b/c anyone with animals knows they don't mix with velcro... I got a few aplix for convenience factor and just to see how they'd hold up but snaps are 95%+ of my stash...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

A friend gave me like 20 BG pockets that she had used on her kid. After one kid, all of the Aplix is truly in pretty bad shape. If I were buying diapers and not just getting them gifted, if I planned to use them for more than one kid, I'd do snaps.

Also: test out the Rumparooz before you buy a ton of them. They seem to fit some babies great, and others not so well. My girls are two very different body types, but they didn't really work well for either of them. 

Untitled

Etta Jane and Claire Elaine are here! Born March 28, 2012.

my blog

What it's like to cloth diaper twins, Part I.

Cloth diapering twins, Part II.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"