Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

How much breastmilk/formula - 8 mos?

DD is 8 mos and we're having a really hard time with bottles. I admit, she eats a ton of solids. We're on mostly finger food at this point and SHE LOVES solids. She gets three meals a day and we let her eat to her heart's content -- so she eats a ton. Getting her to take bottles is a real struggle -- we do 50/50 BM and formula and aim for about 25 ounces/day. We usually get in about 16-18. Is that enough? 

Now I know many of you are thinking, "just cut back on solids." Thing is, even when we cut back (either by limiting her intake at each meal or skipping a meal of solids), she STILL won't take the bottle. She'll clearly be hungry, but she will NOT take the bottle. She won't drink the BM/formula in a sippy either. 

For background, she's tiny. At her 6 mo. appt, she was in the 6th % for weight and the 9th for height. That's about the same as my 3.5 yr old son, who has remained right around those same percentiles throughout his life.

Just want to make sure she's getting enough BM/formula. And if not, any suggestions?

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
CafeMom Tickers

Re: How much breastmilk/formula - 8 mos?

• Options
    We have the same issue with our little one. He has never been a big fan of formula but really can I blame the kid? He has always only taken about 20 oz a day even before solids. He has always grown steadily though so I haven't worried too much about it. Now he clearly prefers solids but still only takes about 20oz a day. Sometimes we add olive oil or coconut oil to his purees as our pedi suggested to help him get a few more calories. We noticed when we did that he started sleeping through the night so it must have done something. Overall if your LO is growing steadily, even if they stay on the small side, they are probably getting enough.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD is taking between 5-6 oz (5 times a day). But I think the recommendation is 18 oz a day at this point, but I may be wrong. Is your doctor worried, do they want you to increase formula intake?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Biglsland07 we are in the SAME exact boat!! It's crazy as I was reading this I was just nodding my head and couldn't believe how exact our LO's are. Our Pedi said as long as baby is gaining weight not to worry. I try mixing some BM into his solids and lots of avocado too! Also when you give her solids give her a variety of foods so that you meet her nutritional needs! I hope this helps. 
  • Options
    My Pedi told me 24-32 oz a day along with three solid meals. It will stay this way until 1 year old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My guy is much younger but I was having an issue getting him to drink enough until I switched to fast flow nipples.  This may be obvious to most people but it wasn't to me until someone suggested it.  He isn't drinking a ton but atleast he is drinking 24-26oz a day.

• Options
    I'm BF but I am in the exact same situation. Can't get enough solids but is having a reaaaally hard time BF for more than 2 minutes. Sometimes even less. It's stressing me out because I have no clue how much he's getting but I'm sure it's nowhere near the 24 ounces that are recommended. What is strange is how most of us that have answered being in this situation have about 8 months old.... I wonder if it's a stage where they are naturally dropping a session and we just need to readjust, or if its more of a developmental thing, where they're figuring out things like crawling or even walking. I know my LO is constantly wanting to pull up and sort of cruise around, and couldn't care less about anything, except his solid food that is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"