December 2010 Moms
Options

Antibiotics during pregnancy

So we are expecting number 2 in July which makes me about 6w3d. About 4 days ago my OB office called to tell me I have a UTI and prescribed Ampicillin which they assured me was safe to take. But having done my own research I am realizing that no antibiotic is completely safe and Ampicillin is a category B drug.

I can't stop stressing about it. I just keep worrying that it's going to affect the baby because this is such a crucial developmental stage.

Has anyone else taken something similar during pregnancy?

Re: Antibiotics during pregnancy

• Options
    I'm sorry, I have no advice.  I just wanted to say CONGRATS!! :D  Also, I hope you feel better soon. 
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Options
    Thanks so much! I didn't even know I had a UTI I actually really don't have any symptoms.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't taken any that early on pregnancy, but you have to do something. You can't let a UTI go untreated, so if you don't agree with your fox, maybe call them and see if there's another option? Sorry, good luck, and CONGRATS!
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I trust my OB but I just can't help but be nervous about the risks. KWIM?
  • Options

I had a UTI during pregnancy as well, though not quite that early.  I took antibiotics but am allergic to several classes so it was a different one, also a class B I'm sure.  As my OB told me, testing to show a drug is a class A is very expensive and involved so many drugs are B because they just can't be certain.  For me though, my OB explained it was more dangerous to let a UTI go untreated.  I felt I needed to go with my OB's advice but hope you can gain a bit of comfort with your decision.

And congrats on your pregnancy!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats!

I had a really bad sinus infection that just wouldn't go away when I was pg with G. I think around 8or9 weeks when went in and ended up getting a rx for Amoxicilin.

G is totally fine, no side effects. You'll be fine. You don't want your uti to get worse and cause even more problems. Good luck, hope you feel better!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies. It feels great just knowing Im not alone and other beautiful babies were born with no ill effects.
  • Options
    I had a uti and yeast infection days after I took a hpt so I was maybe 5ish weeks pregnant. I took macrobid and monistat then, had an exposure to pertussis at work about 2 months later and had to take a zpack then. So while I was super nervous, I never even took Tylenol with A's pregnancy, I have a very healthy and hearty baby J.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageenjoylife:
    I had a uti and yeast infection days after I took a hpt so I was maybe 5ish weeks pregnant. I took macrobid and monistat then, had an exposure to pertussis at work about 2 months later and had to take a zpack then. So while I was super nervous, I never even took Tylenol with A's pregnancy, I have a very healthy and hearty baby J.

Wow, I had no idea. You have certainly been through a lot! Thank you for making me feel better. This is just a reminder that not only will I worry about DD 1 till the day I die but I have now added twice the worry with this little one.

• Options

I just finished a round of Amox + a round of something else I'd never heard of before.  I took antibiotics with Nate too.  I take a Cat B asthma med daily too and did with Nate also.  He seems fine. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I took them at 8 weeks with Duncan. I had an infected clogged salivary gland.
    He turned out just fine...well... 7 months in and he seems ok!!
  • Options

I had to take erythromycin for several months during my pregnancy due to very severe acne. Everything was fine.

The only advice I have is that if you'll be taking them an extended period of time, I suggest picking up a probiotic to restore the good flora in your system.

GL!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Just wanted to say congrats....and hope you feel better soon.

Maybe I'll see you on the July 2013 board!

• Options
    imagekenkendra:
    Just wanted to say congrats....and hope you feel better soon.
    Maybe I'll see you on the July 2013 board!

I just did an intro last night. It will be nice to see a familiar face over there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"