September 2011 Moms
Options

How on earth...

How do I get a urine sample from my 14 month old?? 

L started a fever yesterday. She was 101.9 this morning so I took her in to the pedi. She has no other symptoms and seems to be feeling better today than she was yesterday, so we both agree its probably just a little virus she's fighting. But because she has hydronephrosis, the pedi said it would be good to get a urine sample just to rule out a UTI. She didn't have any great suggestions for how to do this except to let her run around naked and try to "catch". I don't see this going well.  

Re: How on earth...

• Options

This is gross but could you keep her on a non carpeted floor and then soak up the pee with a clean rag and ring that out into the sample container.

*I have no clue if this is actually ok to do

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemnewlee:

This is gross but could you keep her on a non carpeted floor and then soak up the pee with a clean rag and ring that out into the sample container.

*I have no clue if this is actually ok to do

yeah unfortunately it is supposed to be a "clean" sample and not be contaminated by anything else touching the urine. The pedi actually said "so IDEALLY you would wipe her, then catch her pee" and I laughed. She has 5 kids so I think she's aware of how futile this seems to me.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We've had to get urine samples twice, and both times, a nurse had to use a catheter :( No idea how you can possibly do this at home.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageMRoss1982:

The only time we needed a urine sample, it was done in the office. However, you could probably do something similar at home. They essentailly "taped" (it wasn't actually tape, but something to make it stay in place) a plastic bag around her groin area and put her diaper back on. I gave her a bottle and they came back in every 10 minutes or so to see if she had peed. They hardly needed any to do the test.

ah, the pedi mentioned the "bag" test but said it wasn't as sterile as she'd like it to be. I wish she had given them to me anyway! Sounds way easier! 

• Options
    imageMRoss1982:
    imagecarolyn6609:
    imageMRoss1982:

The only time we needed a urine sample, it was done in the office. However, you could probably do something similar at home. They essentailly "taped" (it wasn't actually tape, but something to make it stay in place) a plastic bag around her groin area and put her diaper back on. I gave her a bottle and they came back in every 10 minutes or so to see if she had peed. They hardly needed any to do the test.

ah, the pedi mentioned the "bag" test but said it wasn't as sterile as she'd like it to be. I wish she had given them to me anyway! Sounds way easier! 

Lol, it's probably more sterile then any other option!

I agree. The one time I thought D had a UTI they used a bag thing and taped it around his groin after cleaning the area with an alcohol wipe. It was pretty easy but pulling the tape off was like pulling off a bandaid. OUCH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    As a pedi nurse this sounds so strange! They should just cath her to get urine if they are wanting to culture it to see if she has an infection.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"