Multiples
Options

Measuring Small at 8 wks

Found out a few weeks ago that we were pregnant with twins and could not be more excited!  I have gone in for a few ultrasounds to date (weeks 6 & 7).  At both of those baby A measured a little small by 1-3 days.  Today at my week 8 ultrasound and Baby A is measuring 4 days small.  Baby B is right on target.  Both have strong heartbeats.

My doctor didnt seem too worried about it yet but of course I am thinking the worst.  Anyone else in the same boat?  Any advice or stories you can share?

Re: Measuring Small at 8 wks

• Options

My baby B measured small for 5 weeks in a row. So much so that our RE prepared us for the worse (vanishing twin) and said things just weren't looking good. Baby B was at one point measuring more than a week behind where I was in pregnancy and about 12 days behind baby A (who was measuring a few days ahead). 

By week 10, baby B was on track though still smaller than baby A. Our b/g twins were born 3 weeks ago today...and baby B was weighed nearly 2 lbs less than her brother at birth (and still does)!.

1-3 days small is not too concerning...and measurements are not super accurate in the early weeks. Try not to stress TOO much (I know it's hard). GL! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

At my 7w0d sono, Baby B measured 6w5d and Baby A only measured 5w5d. My RE discussed vanishing twin with me, but at my 10w appointment, both were even and right on track. They have been almost dead even ever since until this weeks sono when A measured 5.12 and B at 6.4.

Early ultrasounds can be off by a lot. I think the most accurate ones are around 10 weeks.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

That's sounds very normal honestly. Was your pregnancy sponatneous or did you do fertility treatments?  With a spontaneous pregnancy your EDD is calculated by your last period and assuming you ovulated on CD 14.  Since we don't all ovulate like clock work there is bound to be some differences not to mention the u/s is only an estimate and calculated by averages for gestional age.  There is a margin of error.  If your Doc isn't worried, don't stress about it.  My twins were usually a little behind, but not enough to change our EDD.  I know based on my ovulation they were conceived around CD 19-20 so that's one reason.

• Options
    Not to mention that if they happen to be di/di you could have ovulated/implanted on two different days entirely. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options

imageRynleigh:
    Not to mention that if they happen to be di/di you could have ovulated/implanted on two different days entirely. 

This exactly. My guys are di/di and measured about 5 days apart early on. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was told that up to a week behind isn't a concern because it happens with multiples. My girls always measured a day to 4 days behind. It wasn't till they were measuring 3 weeks behind that they decided it was an issue.. this ended up in a delivery at 34w4ds along. My girls are now 2 months old (3w2d adj) and doing awesome. Baby A was 14oz smaller than her sister at birth and they are still around that in difference now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"