High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

LTD and STD

I am so freaking mad right now.  I have been working for my hospital for almost three years and we recently went through open enrollment.  I put in for more life insurance, short term disability, and long term disability.  Well flash forward almost four months they gave me the insurance and then declined me for STD and LTD.  I have been trying to find out why and finally got a phone call back this morning.  Apparently they didn't approve those applications because I am PREGNANT and basically I am already disabled.  I tried to explain that when my enrollment went in I didn't know I was pregnant and that most likely the sperm hadn't met the egg yet.  The lady started talking over me and finally told me that she didn't need to rationalize her decision.  I am of course going to appeal and I have a call into human resources, but dang I am so mad right now.  Any advice or experiences with this crap.  Oh and she told me that I will need to wait until after approval to get pregnant again if I really want STD and LTD.  I have some choice words for her in my head right now. 

Re: LTD and STD

• Options
    Thats funny they would say that. I'd fight it. I was pregnant in June and didn't sign up for my insurance through my employer until August 1. They told me that pregnancy is not considered a pre existing condition I am getting STD benefits. My employer doesn't offer long term. But FMLA is what's screwing me now. I thought you got 12 weeks and being that I'm on bed rest I had to start that early. So I'm out for the next 8 weeks and FMLA only approved me for 204 hours. Basically, I'll still be out on bed rest as advised by my doctor and my FMLA will run out and the company I've been with for 6 years will be hiring someone in my place since my job is no longer secure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I am going to fight it.  I live in Texas though, so I doubt there are any laws that actually protect us common people.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would fight it for sure and truthfully I'd consult an attorney right now. Make sure that you document every conversation and record if possible. I have left the company, but prior I worked for HR. HR is absolutely there for the company and to protect them. If you happen to have to go to court you will stand the best chance by having meticulous documentation.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options

imageJordynLeighx3:
    Thats funny they would say that. I'd fight it. I was pregnant in June and didn't sign up for my insurance through my employer until August 1. They told me that pregnancy is not considered a pre existing condition I am getting STD benefits. My employer doesn't offer long term. But FMLA is what's screwing me now. I thought you got 12 weeks and being that I'm on bed rest I had to start that early. So I'm out for the next 8 weeks and FMLA only approved me for 204 hours. Basically, I'll still be out on bed rest as advised by my doctor and my FMLA will run out and the company I've been with for 6 years will be hiring someone in my place since my job is no longer secure.

My place of employment states that you only get the 12 weeks if you have worked there for an entire year and over 1250 hours.  Don't know if this helps,but that's my info.

• Options
    imageblansaw:

imageJordynLeighx3:

My place of employment states that you only get the 12 weeks if you have worked there for an entire year and over 1250 hours.  Don't know if this helps,but that's my info.

Sorry didn't see the last sentence.

• Options
    The rule of thumb is that you have to be covered for 10 months before STD will cover you for pregnancy.  Of course, it depends on the plan document, at the end of the day.  I hope your appeal goes through! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My short term disability won't cover pregnancy if you give birth within 9 months of enrolling with it. It considers it a pre-existing condition when it comes to STD, however I was told that health insurance doesn't consider it pe-existing. Good luck and I hope you can recieve your benefits!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"