Michigan Babies

Appetite Change: What Do I Do?

If anyone out there has any advice, or can at least sympathize with me on this one, I'd appreciate some solidarity. I am about 8 weeks along, and my appetite has changed so drastically I don't even think it's normal. I went from being a well established omnivore to thinking (and acting) upon being a vegetarian. Meat no longer seems like an option:it makes me sick! On some days, food in general just doesn't seem like a good idea. I worry that I might not be getting enough to eat, or the right vitamins and minerals, and that I could be harming myself and my baby. Is this normal? Has anyone else gotten sick from meat, or think that food is just gross?

Re: Appetite Change: What Do I Do?

• Totally normal.  I had terrible morning sickness.  In my first trimester, I pretty much only ate cereal.  It's all I could keep down.  Soooo much cereal. Frozen pizza was ok sometimes too.  Before I got pg I wasn't overly picky with food.  I would cry to my husband (literally cry) because I was hungry, but nothing sounded good, or if it did, it didn't sit right and I would lose it.  Just eat what you can, when you can, and try to keep drinking fluids. If you do find yourself unable to keep even plain water down, you need to call your doctor.  They might recommend a Rx for morning sickness, or even have you to go the hospital to get IV fluids.  After 12 weeks though, my appetite went back to normal, and then some. A coworker of mine was just telling me that when she was pregnant, she couldn't stomach meat, and was pretty much a vegetarian for the whole thing.  Pregnancy does weird things to your body. Most of it is normal, but if you do have concerns, don't be afraid to talk to your doctor.  I guarantee you they'd rather have you bring your concerns to them than ignore it only to have to be a major issue later. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had the same problem the first time I was pregnant.  Meat, especially beef was super disgusting for me,  I couldn't even bear to look at it.  All I can say is try to eat what makes you feel better.  It should go away around the second trimester and then you can focus on eating a little better. 

Good luck and don't worry about it too much, just eat what you can!

1st Misc 11w2d
    2nd Misc 6w2d
    3rd Preg, Second Month on Clomed
    Baby Boy Born June 2013!
    4th Preg, Fifth Month on Clomed 
    Due 8/3/16

Follow me and my journey at:

http://alltheprettythings-cristina.blogspot.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ah, it is good to hear I'm not the only one out there. I'm 8 weeks too with my first and my appetite is all over the place. I can't seem to eat the same meal more than once because if I think about the leftovers, I gag. Pizza and cereal are the only meals so far that can have second appearances. Before getting pregnant I ate really healthy and make sure to have balanced nutrients in my diet, now I'm lucky to stay on the "hungry" side of the line rather than the nauseous side long enough to eat. I REALLY hope this does go away in the second trimester. I have a friend who was still throwing up 6 months in :/
  • I had a very strange aversion to chicken my whole pregnancy. I LOVED chicken before that. What you're experiencing is totally normal. Each what you can when you can. It should get better and drink plenty of fluids!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"