Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

10 month old won't sleep in crib at night

My 10 month old will not sleep in crib at night. At first I thought it was because his dad was away for the weekend but it still continued when he got back. He always falls asleep when I feed him his bottle (he does finish it) but as soon as I put him down he rolls over and stands up crying! and I mean crying. He stops crying as soon as I pick him and falls right back to sleep on me. It's only been 2 weeks but i can't take it. He's my first and only child, so I'm totally new at being a parent. I get so frustrated with him. Even I start crying. His schedule has been out of wrack lately because of the holidays. We have been up and about all last week. Plus my bf's sister was staying with us. But they have been gone for 3 days and no sign of improvement. Please help! He does stay asleep in his crib during nap time, the nights are hardest. ONLY WHEN HE WAKES UP AT 3-6AM!

Re: 10 month old won't sleep in crib at night

• Options

Well you're probably going to get a whole slew of CIO advice.  I don't do CIO and never have needed to BUT have you mastered the art of transferring the sleeping baby from your arms into the crib? 

I believe it is THE single most important skill for a parent.  I'm so serious.  I've gotten really good at it.  I still BF my 10 month old and she always falls asleep on me while BFing or we lie in bed together and she falls asleep there then I have to transfer her to the crib.  

So first I make sure she's super warm in my arms or on the bed and always make sure the blanket that she sleeps in is wrapped around her.  That way when I transfer her to the crib or pack n play she stays warm, then I throw another blanket over her and she usually stays asleep.  When I transfer her to the crib I also keep my arms under her for a few seconds then move them away, not sure this makes sense. 

I'm just giving you an alternative to just letting her CIO in her crib.  It doesn't take me too long to put her down anymore.  I do make sure she's fast asleep before I move her but I've gotten really good at it!  

Also, I do this and I have a toddler to put down right after her, and it's worked fine for us.  But it does take some practice.  

Good luck! 

edit: Also obviously make sure your baby isn't taking naps after 5 pm! 

• Options

sorry what's CIO and BF??? 

what your saying does make sense thank you. I am horrible at putting him down it's seems like a 50 foot drop because of the bars. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm going to try that blanket thing. I also had him Cry it out last night poor thing. I just got so frustrated I didn't want my negative energy to get hi more upset. I also did because he's fine when I pick him up.
  • Options

Just wanted to offer support. I have a 9 month old. I never thought I would have her sleep in bed with us, but it is the only way we can both get sleep at night. It works for us, just something to consider if you are open to it.

Also, I breastfeed so she only gets a bottle occasionally, but in the past I have given it to her in the crib so when she falls asleep I just take it out. I know it isn't totally recommended, but I don't think it is a big deal as long as you take it out as soon as he falls asleep.

Good luck!

• Options
    thanks I have had him sleep with us a few times. My bf even left the bed because of it and I slept on the coach with the baby. It was not comfortable at all. My hips hurt from trying not to move but I did love cuddling with him, and he did move closer to me in his sleep. <3
  • Options

He really is. Sometimes I think I spoil him. :( My family calls him a mama's boy.

Having him sleep with me can not turn into a daily thing. 

• Options
    You just described my 10 mo old daughter!  The only difference is that her routine has not been altered lately and it has been going on for a few months :(  We did CIO at 4 months and it worked until about 6 months when she got sick and was cuddled a lot.  I couldn't go through with CIO again...she seems to awake between 3-4 every night.  We just move her to the guest bed with one of us because we like sleep more than fighting her to sleep :P  Sorry this post doesn't help...but you're not alone!!
  • Options
    This was happening for us for awhile and I realized that it was because DD was too cold. She would only sleep in bed with me because it was warmer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • Options

It' cool hathrone. I'm glade to see I'm not the only one.

HattieLove that could be a problem in his room too

• Options
    I think I found a cause to my problem. Like I said earlier it started the weekend before Thanksgiving, the day my bfs sister came to stay with us for the week. Well that night I had friends over who were giving giving him attention. That week he got all sorts of attention from multiple people. For the past few days I has been good until last night. Well my grandparents came over and was holding him. There are times were he sleeps throughout the night or where he wakes up eats then falls right back to sleep. But last night he woke up at 2am and would not go back to sleep. I think it might have something to do with his dad. He went to the bar that night and came home the same exact time my son wakes up. My son was wde awake when he saw his dad if he had a tail he would be wagging it like crazy. He was so hard to put down, so after his dad took a shower he put the baby down after hours of trying.
  • Options
    imagemexicolombiana:

Well you're probably going to get a whole slew of CIO advice.  I don't do CIO and never have needed to BUT have you mastered the art of transferring the sleeping baby from your arms into the crib? 

I believe it is THE single most important skill for a parent.  I'm so serious.  I've gotten really good at it.  I still BF my 10 month old and she always falls asleep on me while BFing or we lie in bed together and she falls asleep there then I have to transfer her to the crib.  

So first I make sure she's super warm in my arms or on the bed and always make sure the blanket that she sleeps in is wrapped around her.  That way when I transfer her to the crib or pack n play she stays warm, then I throw another blanket over her and she usually stays asleep.  When I transfer her to the crib I also keep my arms under her for a few seconds then move them away, not sure this makes sense. 

I'm just giving you an alternative to just letting her CIO in her crib.  It doesn't take me too long to put her down anymore.  I do make sure she's fast asleep before I move her but I've gotten really good at it!  

Also, I do this and I have a toddler to put down right after her, and it's worked fine for us.  But it does take some practice.  

Good luck! 

edit: Also obviously make sure your baby isn't taking naps after 5 pm! 

All of this!  This is such a big part of getting them to sleep better that not everyone realizes how to do!

I also found that my kids are sensitive to motion when they aren't totally into deep sleep.  If I get straight up from holding them and put them down, it's enough to wake them up.  So, instead, I rock back and forth for a min (I literally count to 60 sec), then I get up and sway for 15-20 sec, then I would slowly ease them down into their crib.  Don't move your arms until you see that they stay asleep and then ease your arms out.  If they start to wake up, use your hand to either lay on their back/side/tummy and rock them in place.  This works for me nearly every time.  And the times it doesn't, I've usually rushed putting them down.

HTH!

Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"