Working Moms
Options

Scale back career after baby?

Has anyone slowed down or scaled back their careers after having kids in order to have a better work/life balance? I'm a little older and have a director-level career at a start-up organization. This has involved in alot of travel in addition to long days at the office. I am only a few months back after having my first baby; however, I have become increasingly dissatisfied and stressed out.  

I know I do not want to be a SAHM but have been discussing with my DH about me trying to set plans in motion for scaling back either at my current position (if my boss would be open to this) to work for the organization in a consulting position or going out on my own as a consultant or find a part time position. Working part time is a popular topic among my fellow professional working moms, but we all realize it is hard to find something that is still intellectually stimulating and would not hurt future career options.

Anyone done this successfully. If so, any tips or considerations to share?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Scale back career after baby?

• Options
    I see the post below about PT work but it seems to focus more on money (daycare costs, etc.). I'm not so much interested in that though but more how anyone has happily adjusted their professional life to make more time for baby.
  • Options

Honestly, have a good long talk with your boss. If they are open to you cutting back on duties or hours, then go for it. I would not leave a great organization to try and find something part-time. It's hell out there trying to find a good paying job that offers you work-life balance. Some of my mom friends who work part time are more stressed than when they were full time, because they are still working out of the home, just making less money!

For me, I am a manager with two direct reports. So, a big enough career, but I don't want anything bigger, that's for sure. I am in early in the morning and out early to pick up DD from daycare, I leave work when my children are sick, and I can flex my time. I cut out early when there's lots of stuff going on at home (I can always catch up later via my home computer). There was a job opening in my department at the Director level, and people wanted me to go for it, but I did not. I knew it would be too much for me. I am comfortable with where I am at work, and I like the flexibility I have, so I will hang onto that until I feel differently!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes, and it was the best decision I've ever made so far. I had a very similar position to yours, director position with travel. After my first I scaled back to 32 hours per week, but after my second I just felt the need to scale back more. 

For me personally, being at the top of a corporate ladder has never been my ambition, so the freedom and creativity that is available to me, along with being my kids' primary caretaker and handling household issues is really the perfect balance.

I think each person has different goals and if you do some soul searching you will figure out what is going to make you happy. I also think success is different for each person. For instance I consider myself much more successful today than I did as a director of an international manufacturer because I am my own boss, I'm making good money and I have a very flexible schedule and a creative job that is more like a hobby to me. Many people on the corporate ladder would see it as "scaling back" but I don't see it that way at all. I see it as living the life I've always wanted and kicking ass at it! :)

• Options

What does scaling back look like to you? A 40 hour work week? Less or no travel? One Friday off per month? One wfh day per week?

I would first consider what the ideal arrangement is for you and then pitch the idea to your boss in the form of "I am struggling with my work/life balance and I want to discus with you some possible options that i believe will help make my schedule more manageable and sustainable."

• Options

I feel as though I have succeeded in having a "scaled back" career while still having a successful and rewarding career.  I am an engineer and have worked PT since I had DS.  For the last year I have worked PT at a small consulting firm.  I work 4 days per week and get paid hourly.  It works great for both my boss and for me.  I get the flexbility of PT work and my company saves in what benefits they would normally provide to a FT employee and since they pay me hourly, they only pay me for the work that I do.

Although I work PT, I am still treated as importantly as a FT employee would.  I have been given additonal training and have been given opportunities for advancement.

My original PT position was with the company that I had worked FT for and the transition to PT was easy because I had already proven myself.  When I got my new PT position, it helped that we had mutual professional contacts that recommended me.  Also the fact that it is a small company I think that they were more willing to hire someone PT.

So far it has worked great for me with very little downside.

View Full Size Image

• Options
    image2-Step:

Yes, and it was the best decision I've ever made so far. I had a very similar position to yours, director position with travel. After my first I scaled back to 32 hours per week, but after my second I just felt the need to scale back more. 

For me personally, being at the top of a corporate ladder has never been my ambition, so the freedom and creativity that is available to me, along with being my kids' primary caretaker and handling household issues is really the perfect balance.

I think each person has different goals and if you do some soul searching you will figure out what is going to make you happy. I also think success is different for each person. For instance I consider myself much more successful today than I did as a director of an international manufacturer because I am my own boss, I'm making good money and I have a very flexible schedule and a creative job that is more like a hobby to me. Many people on the corporate ladder would see it as "scaling back" but I don't see it that way at all. I see it as living the life I've always wanted and kicking ass at it! :)

I love the bolded part.  I'm making that my new mantra.

View Full Size Image

• Options
    I am also in a director level position.  I didn't have to travel, but I worked crazy hours.  I talked with my boss about dividing up my responsibilities so that I could have a 40 hour work week.  It worked out well, since we were able to promote another employee in my department to take over some of my work. 
  • Options
    I am in the same situation career wise- at a director level position.  I plan on scaling back working on that now! I worry if I am making the right decision. I think I may only want to scale back until age 2 or so- still have not figured it out
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'd give yourself a little longer before you make any major decisions.  By the time DD was 1.5 years old, I was ready to rule the world again (so to speak).  By the time DD was 2.5, the thought of staying home with her full time made me a lilttle sick to my stomach.

If you are driven and used to enjoy your career, I think you'll find you will again. After DD#1, I went back to being an individual contributor.  It was okay, but I missed the challenge of managing people.  Fortunately, my job doesn't involve much travel.  I could see how that would be challenging.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would like to and we discuss me staying home, but I make more money than DH.  It doesn't make sense for me too and he doesn't want to.  I'd love to work even four days a week.  
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm an attorney and shareholder at my office, my intention with DD was to work 3 days per week for a whole after she was born.  I took three months maternity leave and then planned to go back MWF 8 am to 5 pm.  I just couldn't make it there by 8 am - I felt like a zombie, so I decided to do Mon-Thurs 10 am to 5 pm which was the same amount of hours but gave me more time in the morning and that worked great.  I did that until DD was almost a year.  My plan for #2 is to do  three day per week schedule, hopefully for a year and see how things go.  I personally think my career is still flourishing and found my clients and co-workers understanding about my schedule and having Fridays off.  So I think scaling back is definitely something that can work in a supportive environment.
  • Options
    I went from a 6-figure full-time career before baby to a 40% paycut to work part-time.  LOVE IT,LOVE IT, LOVE IT.  Am I mommy tracked? Probably - I mean, I won't take a manager position or anything, but I am perfectly content.  I just work mornings most of the time - home by 1:00 p.m.  It is so perfect for me and my family.  Much less stress.  Much less worrying about house things, about family life.  It is awesome.
  • Options

I was at a director level in a multinational company finances for a couple of years, and also had to travel frequently, i started to feel like a failure because i felt my job was been compromised by my distractiosn and my house/dh/baby were compromised because of my trips and long hours. I decided to scale back, unfortunately i couldnt do it without all the travel so i had to switch jobs. Im still a director level with 3 direct reports, and running a 16 people department, in a well knowned 47 years in the market company, so i still get the challenge and recognition, but with a 9 to 4, lunch at home schedule and no travelling/extremely overtime. I feel like i scaled back my salary but i did not scale back my career.

This is a choice you could explore if talking in the company doesnt work, you could always find a good job in a nice smaller company, that rewards you intellectually and has a more stable scheddule, even if it means less money, it will mean more time/freedom for other stuff.

Best of lucks, is a tuff decision.

• Options
    I scaled back after returning from maternity leave. I tried it for a few weeks but was barely see my LO. I ended up quitting my full time job of 10 yrs and doing freelance and voluneer work in my same field. It was a difficult decision but I am very happy to have this quality time with my LO. The salary is no where the same as what I was making but this is how I am choosing to invest in my family. Good luck!
  • Options
    imagebrewcitybride:

Honestly, have a good long talk with your boss. If they are open to you cutting back on duties or hours, then go for it. I would not leave a great organization to try and find something part-time. It's hell out there trying to find a good paying job that offers you work-life balance. Some of my mom friends who work part time are more stressed than when they were full time, because they are still working out of the home, just making less money!

For me, I am a manager with two direct reports. So, a big enough career, but I don't want anything bigger, that's for sure. I am in early in the morning and out early to pick up DD from daycare, I leave work when my children are sick, and I can flex my time. I cut out early when there's lots of stuff going on at home (I can always catch up later via my home computer). There was a job opening in my department at the Director level, and people wanted me to go for it, but I did not. I knew it would be too much for me. I am comfortable with where I am at work, and I like the flexibility I have, so I will hang onto that until I feel differently!

This is exactly my situation. I also went down to four days a week when I came backmto work. It's been great. I feel like I have a great career and work life balance and time with my DD. I probably will never be a VP but that is totally ok with me! I thin you'd be surprised what your boss and company will do for you if you sat down and have a talk with them. Try cutting back to four days or 3 days and work from home one day. Flexibility is key!!
  • Options

I've gone from working four 10 hour days to three 10 hour days a week. My days are long, and my work is physically demanding. We are not allowed to work more than 2 days in a row, so I work one day, and then two days in a row every week and those days alternate. Anyway, I guess I've gone part time successfully. I do about the same amount of work I did back when I worked forty hours so I am very tired, but paid about the same. Honestly, staying home has it's own work associated with it. I'm pretty stressed on both sides of my life, work and home. But I think if I stayed home exclusively or worked full time I'd burn out either way. At least when work gets crazy I know I'll have a few days at home doing something different like getting groceries and wiping butts. And when I'm tired of wiping butts I know I'll be at work the next day talking with other adults. I don't see myself going back to work full time anytime soon.    

• Options

Thanks ladies; all of the comments have been really helpful. I would have responded sooner, but I was traveling last week and just now catching up:(

I do agree that I don't want to make any decisions right away after only being back for 2 months. However, my workload will only increase after the first of the year because I got a reprieve from my boss to not have any overnight trips until then. After the first, I will be expected to be away overnight, if needed. I can barely manage only seeing my LO for a couple hours a day when he's awake at home, and I'm dreading going days without seeing him. I just don't have the desire to do that anymore. I want a better work-life balance even if it means my career advancement won't be as great as it would have been without family. I have plenty of time to work but my baby is only going to be a baby for a short time.

Thanks for your insights. I'll post later if I manage to do do this.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"