February 2013 Moms
Options

Back aches, sciatica! Do maternity belts help?

I've been getting pretty bad back aches lately and the sciatica is really debilitating. This is my second pregnancy. The first time around I had it too but I wasn't looking after a toddler so I was able to sty off my feet when it got bad. Does anyone have one of those maternity support bands? Do they help? Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Re: Back aches, sciatica! Do maternity belts help?

• Options
    it really helps me but only when standing/walking..its kind of uncomfortable to wear when sitting...and sitting upright is killing me lately but I have to be at my desk for work! I am carrying low and in the back..(yay)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had bought one a few months back in hopes that it would help my pelvic pain, it only did so much, but it did help my back a lot!  I agree with PP it is uncomfortable when sitting, much better for standing and walking. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Been having a heck of a time with this myself. The belt isn't doing much for me honestly. I'm in physical therapy and seeing a chiropractor and those two are helping more than anything. The stretches are minimal and can totally be augmented to avoid your growing tummy or in my case my carpal tunnel ridden wrists. They really are helping I'd strongly recommend either, or both if you can.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

So I am on my third belt.  I think it depends on the maternity belt you get.  With the ones that just wrap around your back and lower belly, those don't offer much relief to me anymore now that my belly is out there. 

The prenatal cradle one (you can find on amazon) that has straps that go over my shoulders and a really wide belt around my lower belly really helps.  I mainly work from home but I am often in my car visiting my customers.  Yesterday I forgot to wear it (I was in a massive hurry to a meeting) and OMG by the end of the day I thought we were going to labor and delivery.  That day really showed me that they do help.  

I will tell you I still have some pain and moments of sciatica but not nearly as bad if I don't wear it.  The best thing I love about it, is I got one of those soft ice packs and I can slide it in the band on my back for some amazing relief.  

I second all the pp that said it is very uncomfortable to sit in as it digs into my belly instead of support it but standing, walking etc it's amazing.

My doctor told me no chiropractor since 15 weeks so I would definitely check with your doctor prior to going that route. 

M & M
    06/12 - BFP!!!!
    Beta #1 15dpo - 256
    Beta #2 18dpo - 1097
    6wk U/S on 07/02 ~ TWINS!!!
    EDD 02/21/13
    09/10/12 Found out it's two Boys!!!! Sam and Jake
    Jacob and Samuel born 1/29/13 at 36 weeks. photo F489900B-BB44-4C44-ACD1-ABB73509E3B2-9032-000005E7AE7EF53E.jpg Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I was having some sciatica and it went away when I started doing some poses I learned in my prenatal yoga class. Google "yoga poses for sciatica" and you can find videos. Same thing with backaches. 

Although, I'd really recommend getting into a prenatal yoga class if you can. It's the best! 

• Options
    I use one at work. I was hurting so bad with my 12 hour shifts on my feet and running around. Now with a maternity belt it's more doable. Super annoying when on my break seated and relaxing though, I have to take that thing off during my break when I'm sitting cuz it's irritating.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"