Stay at Home Moms
Options

19 month old DS climbing out of crib

So this morning DH heard some noise in the hallway and when he went out to investigate DS and DD were standing in DD's doorway staring at each other. DS had somehow gotten out of his crib, opened his door, waddled down the hall (he was wearing a sleep sack), and was trying to get into DD's room, which woke her up. We never dealt with this when DD was in a crib, so I'm clueless about what I'm supposed to do. The crib is already on the lowest setting and DS is definitely not at a point where we could move him to a toddler bed. Do I just pile some pillows next to the crib and put a doorknob lock on his door so he can't roam the house? I feel like I remember someone saying crib tents were dangerous...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 19 month old DS climbing out of crib

• Options
    I guess I'm curious why a toddler bed is out?  Both my toddlers are in toddler beds- so much better for my peace of mind once they learned to stay in their beds. 
  • Options

imagePenguin125:
    I guess I'm curious why a toddler bed is out?  Both my toddlers are in toddler beds- so much better for my peace of mind once they learned to stay in their beds. 

I guess I just don't think he's mature enough yet? How old are your kids? We moved DD to a full-sized bed just after she turned 2 and it was such a disaster that I swore DS would be in a crib until kindergarten. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DS1 will be 3 end of January and DS2 will be 2 the beginning of March.  I moved them to toddler beds as soon as they started climbing out of their cribs- 13 months for DS1 (young I know but it beat the heart attack of watching him stand on top of the crib rail and try to jump off) and DS2 at 14 months when he started climbing over the crib rail on the lowest setting (still not sure how he figured out how to use the corner to climb the way he did- he's like a little monkey!).  Anyway, toddler beds made more sense for me with the two of them sharing a room too. 

I will say it was hard at first- they didn't want to stay in their new beds at first so we had to get a little stricter with the bed time routine for about a week before they really got in the habit of staying in their bed until morning.  After they got used to their new beds though- I can't imagine having either in a crib now! 

• Options
    until you get a new bed I would just put the crib  mattress on the floor, baby proof the room, and put a doornob lock on the door.  He might surprise you and like his new bed and stay put!
  • Options
    If he climb out I would convert the crib or put a mattress on the floor.  DD was 21 months when she learned to climb out of the crib.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    When my 2nd child did this for the first time she was a little younger. We woke up to her in our bedroom just playing and going through papers. lol Her daddy screamed bc he thought he drank too much the night before and changed her diaper and just left her on the floor. Wasn't the case at all. lol So when she did it again, we just converted her to a toddler bed and she loved it and felt like a big girl. Now my 7 mo is already trying to escape and I am in the same boat as you. If she does get out, I'm just putting her with me for awhile. I would try and see if your LO may be keen on the toddler bed idea. You never know. 
  • Options
    I move kids to a toddler bed the second they decide to leave the cribs. For my older one it was at 16 months, my younger one was 17 months. They were happier in the toddler bed and didn't try to get out where getting out of the crib was a challenge.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DS started climbing out of his crib at around the same age.  For his safety, moved him to a twin bed.  I wasn't happy about it at first, but he did fine.
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Options
    If your first had a hard time converting to a toddler bed...doesn't mean your second will. We converted DS to a toddler bed two weekends ago and it has gone really well. Knock on wood! He was having some sleep regression beforehand and since moving to the toddler bed...he's slept really well!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageletranger:
    For his safety I'd remove both the sleep sack and put either a mattress on the floor or convert to a twin. We do so when my son was 15 months and could climb out. We baby proof the room. Leaving quiet toys and baby gate the door.

this. We moved DS at 15 months old. I got a low platform full sized bed, use rail guards, baby proof his room and upstairs really, baby gate the stairs, and don't use a nightlight that plugs into a wall socket.

He s much happier not in a crib. He was only napping 45 min to 1 hr and now does 2.5-3 hrs every day. Some mornings he is at the edge of my bed at 5:30 but I pull him in and he will go back to sleep.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageHav=Fath:
    we'll have to do a tent or something (do they even make those for round cribs?!?) .

I might be remembering wrong, but I don't think they make them for any cribs anymore.  Apparently they are too dangerous, so they went the way of drop side cribs.

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    @GabriellaMarcos‌ stop spamming the board and bringing up 2 year old post to talk about a zippy. Go away. @mandymack‌
  • Options
    DS1 never tried climbing out. We converted his crib to a toddler bed a couple months before he turned 3 because he didn't like being carried in and out of bed and was starting to potty train.

DS2 I have a feeling will try to climb out, he's a little more mischievous and tries climbing up onto everything. He will be 16 months later this month so we will have to see. I am hoping he makes it to at least 2.5yrs because I do think it's good for them to be at a certain maturity level before switching to the toddler bed, but I guess you never know. You don't want them injuring themselves climbing out of their climb either!

GL!!
  • Options

Ready or not your LO is too big for a crib...

With DD she never attempted to climb out of her crib so we got to choose when we switched her over (potty training)...  With DS - he was Houdini super early (I don't remember the exact month).  IMO, if they climb over once, it's far too dangerous to leave things in the crib setting and not switch to the toddler bed.  We had a couple times where DS fell out of bed (Pillow landing), but he got the hang of it pretty quickly and it was safer to fall from the edge of a toddler bed than it is to fall from a crib height from climbing over!  I think it was more traumatizing to convert the crib for DS though because he was looking at it crying saying "cwib boke!... Momma it boke!"...  It was hard not to laugh at how cute it was!

• Options
    I have no clue but obviously this poster is trying to sell it.
  • Options

Ugh - Zombie threads - didn't catch it <DOU!>

• Options
    Yes, once they climb out, it's definitely time for a toddler bed or mattress on the floor and a baby-proofed room with gate (or video monitor). It does require some "training" for many kids to get them to stay in their real beds - all part of the many phases they go through! Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks @andrewsgal for the tag - who has time to dig up old posts?!? Lord...

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"