Nurseries and Baby Gear

Bjorn still bad?

Have heard all about Baby Bjorn carriers and hip displasia, but haven't found anything about their newer Miracle one.

Just got one as a gift. It's supposed to be their top of the line, organic version, but don't know whether we should use it. Does anyone know if the ergonomics have been corrected in this one? Or can someone please point me to an article/ unbiased review? TIA.

Re: Bjorn still bad?

• Still looks like a "crotch-dangler" which is what the criticism of Baby Bjorn is all about.  The ergonomic carriers like Ergo and Beco have a wider bottom so that the baby sits and has the hips/legs in a more flexed position, although the newborn looked pretty supported in the video.

BabyBjorn addresses some circulating criticisms about their products on their website:

https://www.babybjorn.com/customer-service/faq/baby-carriers

From what I heard, the occurrence of hip dyplasia from normal use of the carrier is negligible, but a lot of people find this brand less comfortable to use with heavier, older infants.  Not sure if this model addresses that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would return it personally, for two reasons. Like the pp said, it's still a "crotch dangler" style. For a newborn, it looks fine, but as your baby grows, you pull the bottom strap out to adjust it and the strap gets thinner to fit between baby's legs.

Secondly, and this is huge to me, the baby's weight is still all carried on your back. Carriers like the Ergo rest on your hips and it makes a huge difference! I'm not carrying DD while I'm pregnant, but before I got pregnant, I could carry 20 lb. DD for hours in the Ergo without being uncomfortable. When she was much smaller (maybe 10-15 lbs.), my back hurt after 20 minutes of wearing her in the original Bjorn.

• Loading the player...
  • imagenattn:

I would return it personally, for two reasons. Like the pp said, it's still a "crotch dangler" style. For a newborn, it looks fine, but as your baby grows, you pull the bottom strap out to adjust it and the strap gets thinner to fit between baby's legs.

Secondly, and this is huge to me, the baby's weight is still all carried on your back. Carriers like the Ergo rest on your hips and it makes a huge difference! I'm not carrying DD while I'm pregnant, but before I got pregnant, I could carry 20 lb. DD for hours in the Ergo without being uncomfortable. When she was much smaller (maybe 10-15 lbs.), my back hurt after 20 minutes of wearing her in the original Bjorn.

All this. Not only bad for baby but bad for mommy! 

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Yes.  Return it.   You can get a better carrier for the same price, like the Ergo or Beco.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Get an Ergo. Your back will thank you when you have a 30 pounder who insists on being carried in the front only. Trust.Me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"