Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Hair loss?

I am 5 months out from having my baby girl and my hair loss is so bad. For the past month it has been coming out and now I swear I have some bald spots. This happened with my son but not nearly as bad. I ebf . Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I just was wondering if anyone else is going through this. I feel so self conscious about it . Thanks ladies
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Hair loss?

• Options
    I'm curious about this too! I usually 'shed' during the winter but my hair loss is quiet extreme this time! My baby is 4 months old and I have noticed the clumps of hair recently in the shower or while brushing my hair. So weird!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I EBF and started loosing WADS of hair around 3 1/2 months.  Its disgusting, but I haven't noticed any bald spots yet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hair loss after pregnancy is totally normal. According to the American Pregnancy Association...

"The most common period of hair loss occurs approximately three months after delivery. The rise in hormones during pregnancy keeps you from losing your hair. After delivery, the hormones return to normal levels, which allows the hair to fall out and return to the normal cycle. The normal hair loss that was delayed during pregnancy may fall out all at once.

Up to 60% of your hair that is in the growth state may enter into the telogen resting state. The hair loss usually peaks 3-4 months after delivery as your hair follicles rejuvenate themselves. As noted before, this hair loss is temporary and hair loss returns to normal within six to twelve months."

Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't think it has anything to do with breastfeeding.  When you're pregnant, your hormones let you keep all your hair, instead of losing a little bit every day like normal.  A lot of women say one of their favorite things about pregnancy is their thicker hair.  So a few months after you have the baby, your pregnancy hormones run out, and you start losing a lot of hair fast.  My DD is 4.5 months old, and I'm losing a lot of hair, just like I did after DS.  However, I did not have bald spots either time.  If you seriously think you have bald spots, that might be worth a trip or at least a call to the doctor.

• Options

This is also happening to me!! It started just before 3 months and is getting worse and worse every week. I'm praying it'll stop soon because I have bald spots especially around the temples and wear I usually part it. I know people say that you don't lose alot of hair when pregnant and that this is just all that hair falling out but this is most definitely not the case with me!! I have always had thick hair all my life no different when pregnant and now I barely have enough to put into a pony tail. Everyday I'm trying new ways to cope and not get down about it. My latest.. pretty hairbands!!! 

Oh and I forgot to mention that my hair is also long and dark. So I am always finding hair everywhere. I can't keep up! My poor daughter almost always has a few stuck to her somewhere. :(

When will it end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"