Baby Showers
Options

When to have a shower...

I do not know what to do about having a shower.  I know my mom or my best friend will throw the shower, but I live 11 hours away from both (recently moved).  I am due June so it is far away yet, but I'm not sure what to do. My friend is getting married the same month I'm due and we are having her shower (which I hope I make) in April.  April would probably be the best time for me as I'm a teacher and will have Easter break, but that is her shower.  I will not have another break until May which is probably too late to travel.  Should I not have a shower at home, have it earlier, or in May if I could do it?  I don't want to take my friend's spotlight and had to already back out of her wedding as I'm due basically the same day.  Any ideas?  Also is a shower via Skype tacky?

Re: When to have a shower...

• Options

I don't see why you'd think a month before your due date is too late for travel, unless you're high risk or have a medical condition I can't imagine a doctor telling you not to travel, its not a foreign country...

It's very considerate of you to think of your friend, but if that's the only day that works for you, she'll understand and unless you and she have multiple friends and relatives who'd be invited to both events and would have to choose - it shouldn't matter.

You seem to be putting the cart before the horse though.  Let someone offer to host a shower for you, then they'll figure out the logistics.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Shower via Skype yes, very tacky. Who does that?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't understand the concept...everyone gathers in one place with gifts and the MTB skypes in?  Someone acts as a proxy and opens gifts for her? 

I could see it if there was a close friend or relative who couldn't be there in person and wanted to skype in from far away to watch the presents or to talk to the MTB on her special day but the other way around is really weird.

• Options
    imageEstwd2:
    image526SadieSadie:

I don't see why you'd think a month before your due date is too late for travel, unless you're high risk or have a medical condition I can't imagine a doctor telling you not to travel, its not a foreign country...

I thought it was pretty standard OB advice not to travel after 36 weeks? No?

Not as far as my OBGYN practice, no. 

• Options
    imageEstwd2:
    image526SadieSadie:

I thought it was pretty standard OB advice not to travel after 36 weeks? No?

OP, I would wait a bit to see when your mom or friend offers to throw the shower and discuss your options then. If April is what's best, I would plan it for the same weekend as your friend's shower. You can have it the next day or the day before. She gets one shower, not an entire weekend. Don't worry; you won't be stealing her thunder!

This is what I am thinking. Friend gets one day for her shower and you get the other day!  

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options

IMO a skype shower is tacky unless the MTB is bedridden.

Is there a possibilty (when your mom or BFF offer a shower) that you could suggest the day after your friend's bridal shower?  If your friend's shower is on Saturday...maybe your shower could be on Sunday?

• Options

Definitely no to the Skype idea.  That is just weird.  I would not have the shower in May due to the 11 hours of travel especially.  My first pregnancy was complication free until my water broke in the middle of the night at 35 weeks, no warning whatsoever.  Chances are that will not happen to you but I NEVER thought it would happen to me either.

Either do it in April or sooner if you can.  If that does not work, how about a shower after baby is born.  That way, your far away family and friends can meet baby and you will be on maternity leave. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"