Blended Families

WWBFD?

Need opinions. I want to get a tattoo I have 3 already and I want it to be something about being a mom/SM. my idea is a design that incorporates my DD's name as well as my SKids names. So:

1 would you get your Skids names tattooed on you, why or why not?

2 if you would, would you tell BM?

3 if you're a BM would it offend you for your kids SM to tattoo their names?

For what it's worth, it'll be a small, understated tat on my forearm.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWBFD?

• I would not. However, I don't ever plan on getting any tattoo's ever, so it's kind of a moot point. BUT if I did, I would think long and hard about getting a SK's name.

BM's now exH got SS and BM's names tattoo'd on him. We were never officially told about it. To this day we shouldn't 'know'. SS told us about it when he did it.

DH wasn't happy about it. Nothing he could do about it, but it did hit him hard. I KNOW our BM would go BSC and probably come to my house with a gun if I got his name tattoo'd on me. But, our BM is crazy and you know that.  

Her exH got it somewhere where it was always covered. We never actually saw it. BUT now they are divorced, and exH never see's SS. How awesome to have 2 people's names tattoo'd on him and he has nothing to do with either of them. IDK. I don't ever plan to divorce my H. My marriage is forever. BUT, you never know. I would feel like a schmuck to have SS's name on me and then have him ripped out of my life because of adult things that happen. I just think it's a very personal decision, it's very dependent on your situation, and I think it's something to talk to your DH about. I don't think anyone here can make that decision for you or tell you you are right or wrong for doing it.  

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • my next tattoo will be my boys names/ birthdates.  my SD will not be included. 

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • No I would never get SD`s name tattooed on me. I love her but she is not my child and while I hope that DH and I will always be together the truth is you just never know.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• 1.) No I wouldn't.  No Names, and if I were to put names on my body it would be blood lines only.

2.) No answer since I wouldn't get it done

2.) If I would be a BM and the SM got a tattoo of my kids name on her I would be livid and then really hurt.

• Ok. So what about this idea: having DD's name and then within the wording have an M and an A "highlighted" in some way like a different color or something for SKs initials.

I've been in their lives since they were 2 4. And neither of them remembers a time when things weren't how they are now. I feel like if I just did DD's name by itself they might be hurt
  • No I would not, and as a BM I would be very pissed off.
  • I would not tattoo their names. And yes, if I find out anyone other than H has DD's name on them, I will lose it. 

Consider getting an image that represents each one of them - for example, little birds or stars for each one.  Or just their first initial maybe if anything. 

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • I don't personally have any tattoos. I'm not opposed to them and did almost get one to celebrate my divorce.

If you're going to get the tattoo in a place the kids will never see, then I think do whatever you want.

But I would not personally be okay with me or DH getting a tattoo that excluded any of our kids if they would ever see it. Kids are just too sensitive, kwim? If they were teens I might think it wouldn't really matter to them...

I'm trying to imagine how I would feel if XH's gf got DS's name tattooed on her body. She's only met him like twice, so I think I would laugh. But if it were closer to your situation, I think I'd be touched that she wanted to include him. Even if it irritated me a tiny bit, it's more important to me that he feel loved.  

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • !. No I would not. DH and BM both have tattoos for the kids and we are not in a good place with them right now.

2. Null and void I suppose, but I wouldn't. What I have on my body is no one else's business.

3. I'm not in a situation to be able to say for sure, but I don't think I would be offended by it. I would think it slightly strange though, just like I think it's slightly strange that my mother wants my DD's face on her arm. It's not her kid, so it seems a little weird.

• I think it would be very odd to get a child's name tattooed on you that is not guaranteed to be your forever child.

I think it would be very disrespectful to their mom as well.

Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • 1. I'm not a SM but not unless I adopted the SK's, but at that point I would be AM and not SM.

2. I see no reason to tell another parent about a tattoo you get. It doesn't affect them and it's not their business.

but...

3. I'd be pissed. But, I'm the CP and have DS 95% of the time, so any SM he has isn't going to see him very frequently. Maybe the situation would be different if the BD in the situation was the CP or 50/50. 

• imageJessys_Girl:

I don't think it's a great idea just like its not a great idea to get your Hs name tattood on you. I'm fairly heavily tattood and I'm giggling at a subtle forearm tattoo... Everyone will see and comment don't get this confused with understated.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live
  • imageJessys_Girl:
    Need opinions. I want to get a tattoo I have 3 already and I want it to be something about being a mom/SM. my idea is a design that incorporates my DD's name as well as my SKids names. So:

1 would you get your Skids names tattooed on you, why or why not?

No.  All it would take is one accident or a divorce and you will never see these kids again.  The type & strenght of the relationship that you have right now (the one prompting this desire) will be gone.  YOUR influence on them will be gone.  And you will have a tattoo of an adult that you have no connection to on your arm.

2 if you would, would you tell BM?

Again, no.  Just like using the title "MOTHER/MOM/MOMMY", this is an extremely intimate and permanent action that should be reserved for their mother. 

And let us be honest here, there is NO WAY that she will not find out because unless you have it on your ass, the kids will see it and they will eventually slip up.   

3 if you're a BM would it offend you for your kids SM to tattoo their names?

The only thing that would make me angriew at this is if you (the SM) either forced or accepted my DD calling you Mother/Mom/Mommy (god forbid you get a Mama). 

I always preface (though in this case Post Script) my comment on this subject with the fact that if you are the PRIMARY CARE GIVER (ie BM is not in the picture) then your relationship is different and it would be totally appropriate to do this. 

But even in a 50/50 custody situation, the BM is still in the picture and she is still the mother.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • I have thought about doing something like this, but I would never use names - not even my own child's, I would use a symbol or a date to represent each child. I probably would not include my SKids unless their mothers were out of the picture...but if it felt really appropriate to you to include SKids then I would definitely go with something more subtle - little birds, a ring around the arm for each child, etc...it would definitely irritate me if my son's stepmom put his name on her body, but if she did i hope she would do it somewhere that I would never see it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have three birds on my wrist, they represent love, life and peace but when SS saw them he thought they stood for me, him and his dad. I've never corrected him and now that we have a new baby I'm going to add a bird.

I wouldn't get names though. For some reason tattooing a name that Bm picked out makes me feel like she is somehow part of me too and I'm not down with that lol. I may tattoo my son's name on me but that's because my husband and I picked it together and it gives me happy feelings.

If I was a Bm I wouldn't care but I would raise my eyebrows a bit at the gesture.

• Get jewelry instead. I'd feel weird about my mom tattooing my name on her body.
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"