Parenting
Options

Manners question re: toots

DD occasionally rips off farts that would be shocking from a grown man let alone a baby. She doesn't react to them at all. Just got me thinking, at what age do you expect kids not to openly pass gas, burp, etc? I am guessing the age will be the same as whatever age farting becomes the funniest thing ever but don't recall when that is!
imageimage

Re: Manners question re: toots

• Options
    When DS turned one I sat him down and told him that I have certain expectations for him, including courteous farting habits.  Now, he leaves the room if he has to fart.  He's a good kid.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageCoffeeBeen:
    When DS turned one I sat him down and told him that I have certain expectations for him, including courteous farting habits.  Now, he leaves the room if he has to fart.  He's a good kid.

Yes lol

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We haven't tried to teach him NOT to fart because I don't think he does it on purpose and I don't see him being able to control it yet.  We have taught him to be polite if he farts or burps so now he says "Cooz me!  I tooted!"  It's so funny.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    DS only farts in front of us, I hope it's not just coincidence, I guess I should have a talk with him about it the next time he lets one rip.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • Options

DS is four.  He rips them at home and giggles.  He says that he does not do that at preschool. 

Kind of related...He also says that he does not poop at preschool.  He still needs help to wipe well, so I think he is embarrassed to ask.  He says that he holds it until he gets to the babysitter's house.

• Options
    Honestly, I still think its pretty funny when DS farts.  We usually make a big commotion over it and laugh it off.  I'm sure I'm creating a monster, but at least he'll be a monster with a good sense of humor.
  • Options

imageelmoali:
    We haven't tried to teach him NOT to fart because I don't think he does it on purpose and I don't see him being able to control it yet.  We have taught him to be polite if he farts or burps so now he says "Cooz me!  I tooted!"  It's so funny.

We do this too. Off topic, DSs farting drives me batty since he cannot seem to fart normally and sharts at the same time. I must change his underwear like 3xs a day because of it. I long for the day he holds it until he's in the bathroom. lol.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKC_13:

imageelmoali:

We do this too. Off topic, DSs farting drives me batty since he cannot seem to fart normally and sharts at the same time. I must change his underwear like 3xs a day because of it. I long for the day he holds it until he's in the bathroom. lol.

Do you hold your farts until you're in the bathroom? I mean, I understand if you're out somewhere, but do you do that at home? 

Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My 3.5 yr DD announces she has tooted and then says excuse me; in public too. We are working on the announcement part especially when are silent and not stinky.
  • Options
    imageMrs JillB:
    imageKC_13:

imageelmoali:

Do you hold your farts until you're in the bathroom? I mean, I understand if you're out somewhere, but do you do that at home? 

Everyone knows that KC doesn't fart!

• Options

imageCoffeeBeen:

Ily.

• Options

We laugh when DD farts and always have. We're immature like that. She knows we think it's funny so she giggles and/or looks right at me with a smile when she does.

• Options

So far, never.

Just say "excuse me" when it happens. 

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    What do you do when the father is a grown man that was raised to let it rip at the table. Or when the father was raised thinking it's fine for his mom to open the bathroom door right off the kitchen to join dinner conversation when she's on the toilet?

My kid is so screwed. I have taught DH to say excuse me now at least.
  • Options
    imagejess60:
    imageMrs JillB:
    imageKC_13:

imageelmoali:

This. Lol!

Seriously though, if it's the kind of gas that may accompany some poo, yes I wait to go to the bathroom. I haven't sharted in my pants since childhood. haha.

• Options
    imagembenit4:
    imageKC_13:
    imagejess60:
    imageMrs JillB:
    imageKC_13:

imageelmoali:

This. Lol!

Seriously though, if it's the kind of gas that may accompany some poo, yes I wait to go to the bathroom. I haven't sharted in my pants since childhood. haha.

Once again, you are a better woman than me.

My bowels are superior to all of yours! bow down to my bowels b!tches!
  • Options
    If one of the kids toots in public, they say excuse me and it's NBD.  They know it's not polite to toot at the table or in public, but it happens.  We usually don't have any issue with laughing, but DS tooted very loudly in a restaurant the other night and we started to giggle.  He was laughing with brought on more loud toots!!  It was very hard to contain my laughter. 
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    A long as I can remember, I've been told to say excuse me and try to hold it in, for lack of a better phrase, when I "shoot a bunny" because it's not appropriate in public. I wasn't even allowed to say "fart." But, a long as I can remember is from about 5 yrs on, so who knows? All I know is, the thought of letting one slip in public terrified me.

OP, I would say definitely start pushing it by age 4, because once kids get into kindergarten [and maybe preschool, I don't know] teachers will expect them to say excuse me and other kids will eventually make fun of them. I know it was the most mortifying thing on the planet for someone to fart in the middle of class.

I don't think sharting is entirely controllable at any age. Sometimes you just can't predict those things.
  • Options
    imagemrs_sexy:
    If one of the kids toots in public, they say excuse me and it's NBD.nbsp; They know it's not polite to toot at the table or in public, but it happens.nbsp; We usually don't have any issue with laughing, but DS tooted very loudly in a restaurant the other night andnbsp;we started to giggle.nbsp; He was laughing with brought on more loud toots!!nbsp; It was very hard to contain my laughter.nbsp;

I farted at the table once when I was little after I'd taken a big sip of water and laughed so hard I spewed water all over my mom, who was sitting across from me.
  • Options

imagemejane123:
    imagemrs_sexy:
    If one of the kids toots in public, they say excuse me and it's NBD.nbsp; They know it's not polite to toot at the table or in public, but it happens.nbsp; We usually don't have any issue with laughing, but DS tooted very loudly in a restaurant the other night andnbsp;we started to giggle.nbsp; He was laughing with brought on more loud toots!!nbsp; It was very hard to contain my laughter.nbsp;
    I farted at the table once when I was little after I'd taken a big sip of water and laughed so hard I spewed water all over my mom, who was sitting across from me.

LOL! I wasn't allowed to say fart either. My mom had us say "gassy" like "excuse me I gassied".  WTH mom?!  I prefer toot and the kids say it, but it won't be long before it's fart only probably.

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    I am horribly uncouth in this regard. I tend to be in the "What, it's natural?" camp with regards to release of bodily gasses. So when DS farts, I giggle, and he often giggles with me. My son is doomed.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Options
    imageRingOfFire11:

We laugh when DD farts and always have. We're immature like that. She knows we think it's funny so she giggles and/or looks right at me with a smile when she does.

Pretty much this at our house.  Sometimes DS will blame one of us or even the dog.

• Options
    DH and I are pretty big on teaching our kids to be polite and all that jazz... except when it comes to farting and burping. We usually crack up and then start accusing everyone for the offending noise while pinching our noses. I know, we have the best parenting techniques.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"