Two Under 2
Options

Tips for first trip out/double pedi appt?

Tomorrow morning is DD's 18 month appt and DS's 2 week appt. She'll be getting a couple shots. Any tips for making it as smooth as possible? This will be my first time out with both of them by myself and I'm a little nervous! TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
DD born 5/15/11
DS born 11/12/12

Re: Tips for first trip out/double pedi appt?

• Options

I had my DDs 15 month appt and my DS's 2 month appt scheduled together. It was the hardest thing ever. I actually ended up not scheduling together again. My tips are have your newborn fed and sleepy and keep him in the infant seat for as long as possible so you can focus on DD. If you have a carrier to wear a child in, bring it. I kept my DS in his infant seat until it was his appt time. I opted he go last. I got my DDs appt over with, shots done then threw her on my back in the Ergo carrier. Then dealt with DS. My DD was more aware, so I felt it was more important giving her slightly more attention. 

• Options

I've been taking my girls to the pedi together since DD2 was 10 days old (they are almost 19 months apart). Between all of DD2's ear infections and both of their well visits, I've been to the pedi/ENT with both of them at least 2 dozen times and lived to tell ;) I did use the double stroller for a few months, until DD1 was listening more reliably when I asked her to sit in one spot or hold my hand, etc. 

One thing I do recommend - if both are getting shots, do the older one first. I made the mistake of letting DD1 watch DD2 get her 12 month shots minutes before DD1 was getting her flu shot. She realized what was coming and freaked out. I should have had her go first and gotten her one shot over with before she watched the baby get 4 :( 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I did my kids 18 month appointment and 1 month appointment together.  It was 3 years ago now, and I still have bad memories of it. 

My only suggestion is to wake up early, shower, do your hair and make-up, and try to dress the kids cute.  At least that way, you can pretend that the chaos is just because of the appointment, not every minute of your daily life.   

I hope that the other ladies suggestions were helpful.  Good luck!

• Options
    For this reason, I scheduled my son's 18 month appt 10 days after my due date at 4:30 pm.

Update us and let us know how everything went Smile
  • Options
    imagememali26:

I've been taking my girls to the pedi together since DD2 was 10 days old (they are almost 19 months apart). Between all of DD2's ear infections and both of their well visits, I've been to the pedi/ENT with both of them at least 2 dozen times and lived to tell ;) I did use the double stroller for a few months, until DD1 was listening more reliably when I asked her to sit in one spot or hold my hand, etc. 

One thing I do recommend - if both are getting shots, do the older one first. I made the mistake of letting DD1 watch DD2 get her 12 month shots minutes before DD1 was getting her flu shot. She realized what was coming and freaked out. I should have had her go first and gotten her one shot over with before she watched the baby get 4 :( 

I agree with PP. I have taken my kids to every appt by myself. My son was going 2 times a week at one point because of his medical issues. It's totally doable, I just suggest not making future appts together. I found 2 back to back appts to be too long for the kids. 

• Options
    imagealli2672:

I did my kids 18 month appointment and 1 month appointment together.  It was 3 years ago now, and I still have bad memories of it. 

My only suggestion is to wake up early, shower, do your hair and make-up, and try to dress the kids cute.  At least that way, you can pretend that the chaos is just because of the appointment, not every minute of your daily life.   

I hope that the other ladies suggestions were helpful.  Good luck!

This made me laugh out loud.

The appointment actually went really well. I put DS in my ring sling and he slept until it was his turn, DD was unusually cooperative. If their appointments ever line up again and both need shots, I'll definitely remember the tip of having the oldest go first, I wouldn't have thought of that but it makes total sense.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Options

My DDs are 11 months apart and I have always taken them to the pedi together. I usually bring something to occupy them (ie a book, favorite toy, small snack, sippy cup, etc) When DD2 was in an infant seat, I left her in it during DD1s visit and then when it was DD2's turn, I would give DD1 her book/toy/whatever and it would usually keep her busy for most of DD2s visit. The hardest part for me was loading them in and taking them out of the car in the parking lot. I was always so nervous about which one to put in first.. So, what I started doing was letting DD1 (with a little assistance from me) climb in the car and wait inside until I secured DD2s car seat. Then I went back and strapped DD1 in.

I agree with PP to make sure your newborn is fed and happy before going. Also, schedule appointments after nap time! Nothing makes an appt harder than a tired, cranky toddler! Good luck! You'll be okay!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"