Natural Birth

Lamaze or the Bradley Method?

We're going to have our first baby in May and, like most mothers, I'm extremely nervous about the pain of natural childbirth.  I really want to have the baby with the least amount of interventions as possible, but I also recognize that I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain.

That being said, I'm not sure I buy into the whole hypnobirth/hypnobabies thing.  I'm left with two alternatives:  Lamaze classes, which I believe my medical insurance will cover if I take through the hospital, or the Bradley Method, which I'll probably have to pay $250 out of pocket to take.  My husband is less than enthused about paying out of pocket, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get through natural childbirth for the sake of the baby.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has had experience with one or the other method, maybe even both and how it worked for you during the natural labor process.  I'm looking for positive and negative reviews!

Thanks,
Shannon

Re: Lamaze or the Bradley Method?

• We took the Bradley classes and loved them.  I liked the fact that they focused on teaching DH how to be my labor coach.  The classes went into a lot of detail about the different stages of labor and how DH could help me during each stage.  We also liked that the classes were 12 weeks long.  This way we were able to focus on our L&D and spend some quality time together.  Our instructor kept the classes small (no more than 4 couples) so we got a lot of individual time/questions answered.  The only thing I did not like about the classes was their focus on lying down during first stage labor.  It seemed like we practice this position a lot but when I was in labor the last thing I wanted to do was lay down.  Other than that we loved the class.

ETA: We sent a copy of our childbirth class bill to our insurance company.  They reimbursed us for half of the class.  So it may be worth a try to call your insurance company and see if  that is an option.

ETA: I should also add that we had an awesome birth and the things DH learned in the class really paid off.  He was able to be calm and collected  and helped me through the entire process.

• Shannon,

First, congrats.  Second, you don't need to pick a method, you don't need to buy anything, you don't *need* to take any classes.  Your body is going to give birth whether you do these things or not.  Don't feel like you need to chose one method and invest monetarily in it.  You don't.  That said, it does help to be educated.  Read.  10 years ago I was in your position and we were broke!  I took no classes and bought nothing.  I read.  and read.  and read.  And I don't like to read.  I read about every method.  I didn't even have my hubby read.  I decided I wanted a natural birth and I did it.  Your state of mind is everything, not how tough or weak you are.  My first was 12 days late.  My water broke and I was induced.  Labored for 8 hours on pitocin and gave birth to a perfect baby girl.  Only intervention was the pitocin.  2 years later gave birth to my son completely natural.  This January will have my 3rd natural labor.  I still haven't chosen a method or taken a class.  No one needs to teach you, it's instrinctive if you just listen to your body.  But being educated does help.  All that said, read "Ina' Mays Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin.  In my opinion it's the best of the best.  Best of luck.

Reichley Mama
  • Loading the player...
  • If the hospital class is current Lamaze, I'd be fine with that. I read the latest Lamaze guide, and it was great. Not Cosby-Show style breathing at all.

If you're spending money, personally, I skipped the classes and hired a doula. Totally the right choice for me - I'd much rather have 1 day of a person there, with me, having the baby than 12 classroom sessions.

• I agree with several other posters on here... Read. Read. Read. Ina May is wonderful. And if you are going to spend money on something but budget is tight a doula might be your best course of action. Also, if your insurance covers the lamaze classes why not try them out? If they don't resonant with you and your husband then stop going. No big deal if you're not spending extra money on them. In the meantime, get yourself to the library or ask mamas you know and see who has birthing books they will loan you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageReichleyMama:

Shannon,

First, congrats.  Second, you don't need to pick a method, you don't need to buy anything, you don't *need* to take any classes.  Your body is going to give birth whether you do these things or not.  Don't feel like you need to chose one method and invest monetarily in it.  You don't.  That said, it does help to be educated.  Read.  10 years ago I was in your position and we were broke!  I took no classes and bought nothing.  I read.  and read.  and read.  And I don't like to read.  I read about every method.  I didn't even have my hubby read.  I decided I wanted a natural birth and I did it.  Your state of mind is everything, not how tough or weak you are.  My first was 12 days late.  My water broke and I was induced.  Labored for 8 hours on pitocin and gave birth to a perfect baby girl.  Only intervention was the pitocin.  2 years later gave birth to my son completely natural.  This January will have my 3rd natural labor.  I still haven't chosen a method or taken a class.  No one needs to teach you, it's instrinctive if you just listen to your body.  But being educated does help.  All that said, read "Ina' Mays Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin.  In my opinion it's the best of the best.  Best of luck.

I agree with this!  I didn't take any classes since none were offered at the base where my husband is stationed.  Instead, I read about almost every single method, talked with women who had natural births, and read some more until I was no longer afraid of the process.  I think your mental state is much more important going into it rather than any set of techniques you may have learned.  My water also broke and I labored for 16 hours with pitocin and no pain meds.  There was never a point where the pain was unbearable as long as I remembered to breathe through my contractions and take them one at a time.  Your body is made to do this. 

• We just finished week 9 (of 12) of the Bradley classes. We really like them and it has really focused us on preparing for natural child birth. What I'm enjoying most is that my DH is on board and training also - we are a team! 

Good luck with your research and decision.  

TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• We are taking the Bradley classes right now and love them. The success rate for Lamaze is very low compared to Bradley.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBLPL101:
    We are taking the Bradley classes right now and love them. The success rate for Lamaze is very low compared to Bradley.

Source?

• imagetokenhoser:

imageBLPL101:
    We are taking the Bradley classes right now and love them. The success rate for Lamaze is very low compared to Bradley.

Source?

I've read this several places as well. You can ask a Bradley instructor and a Lamaze instructor and they'll tell you. If I remember right it's just under 50 success rate for Lamaze and over 90 success rate for Bradley.
    We chose Bradley because a lot of the Lamaze instructors and websites we talked to/read said "it's not like the old Lamaze, it's more like Bradley" but when comparing the two Bradley made much more sense for us.

OP I haven't had my baby yet but we have one class left of Bradley and I couldn't be happier. DH was always going to be there for me during labor but now we're both much more confidant in both of our abilities to support a natural birth.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • I did no classes. I was very calm and relaxed, even though my labour was 29 hours long.

I rocked on a yoga ball, browsed online, walked a bit, drank tons of fluids,  I even did some side crunches which helped lol.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Your posts inspired me to join the local library, something I've been meaning to do the past six years I've lived here.  I was able to get Ina May's book and am reading it now.

I'm really curious about the Bradley Method being better than Lamaze.  Is it because it's 12 weeks, rather than 6?  If anyone can find more information about that, it would be a great help to me, and could help my husband understand how it could be a better investment.  I found a review of birth methods on a random website a few weeks ago... it was more mostly people posting about their own experiences.... nothing scientifically based.  It said that Bradley was better for second births, but Lamaze was better for a first one.... something about the breathing techniques being slightly different between the two....

Shannon

• From what I've read, the "success rate" comparisons come from the late 70's. Lamaze was pitched just as an informative class, so it attracted people that wanted to learn but didn't necessarily actually want a natural birth. Bradley is much more... hardcore. It attracts different people. So thus, the numbers reflect that.

Personally, the people I know that liked Bradley are joiners. They want to bond with other couples at the same point in pregnancy. They have husbands that want to spend 12 sessions spending 2-3 hours hearing about birth. That just does not describe me or DH... we were just fine without it.

• Thanks for all of the feedback.  I was going to sign up for the local Bradley class, but the instructor decided to take a subatical (sp?).  So, I ended up signing up for the Lamaze class at the hospital where we'll deliver.  I've read Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth and downloaded a few Hypnobabies/Hypnobirthing soundtracks which I've been listening to when I go to bed at night, so I'm hoping the techniques and the suggestion might help a bit.  I'd prefer not to use drugs if I can avoid them.  I started reading Bradley's Husband-Coached Childbirth, but couldn't get past chapter two... he's too focused on women as animals and doesn't give enough method for me.  I want my husband to have ways to help guide me through the pain of delivery....  Lamaze starts this week, so I'll have to let you know how it goes!

Shannon

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"