Two Under 2

Going back to school?

I have always dreamed about going back to school for a doctorate, but found myself having 2 under 2 (actually 2 under 1.5). Suprise:)! As anyone gone back to school full-time with 2 under 2? I'm not sure I would even get in and would possibly need to move my family to do so. Should I just give it up and move on and settle for where I am in my education (I do have a Master's)? At what age would be the best time to go back if I can? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Going back to school?

• I didn't go back to school, but I finished my MA thesis right after DS was born. It was really stressful, but it finally got finished. I am not a disciplined person when it comes to studying, so I really made it more stressful than it needed to be.

When I was debating whether or not to begin my PhD, I considered these things:
    1. Discipline - Will I be able to set aside time to do the necessary work?
    2. Time - How many years will it take? (Average in my field is 6-7 years)
    3. Family - How will this affect our family? (Ex - DH having to take over a lot of tasks at home)

Also, if you're currently working in your discipline, it would probably be easier to get back into it. I've only been out a year, and I already feel like I'd have to start from scratch to get back in (as far as reading and research).

FWIW, I was in English/Comp&Rhetoric. We (obviously) do a lot of reading, and I don't have the mental stamina to switch back and forth from Dr. Suess to composition theory and classical rhetoric.

I know I didn't answer your question, but maybe telling you the reasons I didn't go back will be helpful. If you're a disciplined student and your husband is supportive, then don't put it off. When I first started my MA, there was a woman who was old enough to have a few adult children. She encouraged me to keep at it because once you have kids, it's easy to just keep putting it off, and she regretted not going back earlier.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I already have my BS, but going back for a second degree program in an entirely different field when this one is about 10 months old. I never wanted to put them in childcare, but I need this. They actually have an excellent center right on campus, and that's really the only way I'd feel comfortable. If I feel 10 months old is too soon, then I will wait until the next semester when he is 19 months.

I know it's just going to get harder as they get older and I don't want to have regrets. I figure at this age they won't remember as much, too. I want to be there for them later.

GL!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband is going to school full time right now and will get his masters with 2u2. We will set aside time for him and make it work.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am going back for my RN next fall. I will have a 2 year old and a 5 month old. Working FT and school PT in the evening. DH says he will be fine and is okay with it but I am nervous about it and I am concerned about hardly seeing the kids. But, it will be worth it in the end
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"