1st Trimester
Options

SLOW rising HCG levels. Impending miscarriage?? Any experience with this?

Hello. I am just about 7 weeks now and STILL having hcg trouble. They started monitoring it just when I hit 5 weeks and it has never doubled. Not even close to a 60% increase in 48 hrs even. My numbers were.. 8022---11000---16400--23300.(every 2 days) That means it's only increasing about 37-39% every 48 hours and taking up to around 100plus hours to double.

Well, 2 days ago we went in for an ultrasound to see our baby AND a heartbeat but it was only 113 and a few days behind size-wise. My midwife called to say it looks okay but they are still very concerned about the levels. They shouldnt be so slow to double already.

So my question is has anyone experienced this? Good or bad outcome I just want to know. I feel like from what I've read this is pretty much a "doomed" pregnancy as my doctor calls it and they are sugar-coating it to keep me calm

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: SLOW rising HCG levels. Impending miscarriage?? Any experience with this?

• Options
    you'll have to wait and see.... it is good that they are still rising. t&ps... keep us updated. you never know what could happen, it's still really early.

TTC since 03/2011
    BFP#1 spontaneous conception! 4/28/12 natural MC on 5/9/12
    IUI#1 with clomid and trigger on 9/12/12
    BFP#2 on 9/26/12 EDD 6/5/13
    Beta #1 143 14dpo Beta #2 343 16dpo Beta #3 920 18dpo
    Please, Please, Please stick baby!

Baby Mackenzie born 5/28/2013!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I had slow rising betas with my first pregnancy. They never went above the 2,000's. At first they thought ectopic, but then there was a sac in the uterus. I breathed a sigh of relief. Then the next week I went back and we had a heartbeat but the sac was WAY too small. The week after that, no heartbeat.

I ended up having a D&C and genetic testing, which showed that the baby had a severe chromosomal defect known as triploidy.

I guess my point is that slow-rising betas that CONTINUE to rise slowly (not just one time of slow-rise) is usually not a great outcome. Even though we briefly had a heartbeat, my baby had a severe chromosomal defect not compatible with life. Typically there is a reason for slow-rising betas. I searched and searched online for success stories, and I wish that someone had just come out and said to me "This is not going to end well." I got very attached once we had a heartbeat, and shouldn't have. I truly believed that once we had a heartbeat, we were in the clear. Not always the case.

I would go along very cautiously at this point. Miracles happen - I know they do. But not very often in this type of situation. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I pray that you find the peace to deal with this situation. I know this hell all to well.

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ladies,

Thank you so much for this honest answer. I have had the strangest bad feeling about this pregnancy since even before they started hcg testing. I feel like our bodies give us signals this way. I almost wished we hadn't seen the heartbeat after what I have been reading and our doctor has told us it definitely does make it that much more difficult. I will continue giving updates as they come.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

cristi, get a second or a third opinion, because my numbers are also rising slower than every 48 hours and the doctor always tells me that "it's fine". 

Also, according to Huggies.com.au, you'll double slower the higher your hCG levels get.  https://www.huggies.com.au/pregnancy/early-stages/symptoms/hcg-levels/chart

Also,  https://www.sydpath.stvincents.com.au/tests/hCGold.htm

Also, https://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html

" In a bout 85% of normal pregnancies, the hCG level will double every 48 - 72 hours. As you get further along in pregnancy and the hCG level gets higher, the time it takes to double can increase to about every 96 hours."

Get a second and third opinion. 

• Options
    Please keep us posted as you learn more. I'm in the same boat as you were and would love to hear a success story:
  • Options
    esf60esf60 member

imagecristiT09:
    I don't know if anyone is still following this but I thought I would give an update. By some miracle my baby has pulled through!! Praise the Lord. Everything is right on track with a strong heartbeat and I'm now 13 weeks. Not everything Dr.'s think always comes true!

this board needs to hear more success stories like this. congrats!!!

• Options
    Does anyone know how Cristi's pregnancy turned out? Did you got full term is baby healthy? I need to hear a good outcome. TTC 4 years, 3 previous mc and preg 1st time unassisted now 6w3d . Hcg slowly rising all week and OB not hopeful.
  • Options
    LollyLawlzLollyLawlz member
    edited January 2014
    With my last pregnancy I was high risk and had low rising hcg as well.  Around 6 weeks we went in for an ultrasound.  Low and behold there was a hb, but they told me not to get excited because it was considered low.  She's almost 16 months now. 

I'm not saying everything will be ok just don't lost hope.  T&P's girl.

ETA:  Just realized this is a zombie thread.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't have advice. Just hope your situation ends well. Sending you thoughts & prayers for a healthy pregnancy

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thank you for this Lolly. I'm in a similar spot low hcg 31,143,315,524,825,1081 6wks going for US tomorrow but my doctor was not encouraging in fact I wish he had been the stress is over the top! My pregnancy has so many betas bc it's ivf. I'm expecting the worse but inside hanging on to a glimmer of hope:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"