C-sections
Options

Recovery/Help Needed Questions

Baby is still breech and we're trying a version this week but looks like I may be having my first c-section.

My Mom keeps asking what kind of help I need/if/when I want her to come, etc. I have no idea what to say. What kind of help did you need post-c-section and WHEN  was it most helpful? I.e. right away, few weeks later? If this is a normal vaginal delivery again I figured we'd be fine for the first couple weeks, and then have a little extra help during Christmas week. But if it's a c-section, am I really going to want/need help during the first week or so at home? We have 2 others kids--have to clarify with DH how much he will be around, but we do have a nanny who will come M-F 10 to 6 or so.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Recovery/Help Needed Questions

• Options

My husband's home for 2 weeks after DD was born and that's extremely helpful.  The first few days were veeeery tough and I didn't/couldn't really do much.  The first week was tough, the 2nd week it started getting a little easier.  Now I'm coming up on the third week and finally starting to feel back to normal.  He goes back to work on Monday and to be honest, I'm not happy about it :(

ETA: I had a version at 37 weeks (with an epi) and it was successful on the first try and baby stayed head down. My issue was after two hours of pushing, my cervix was in the way (interior lip I think it's called) so the doc said enough and we did the csection, which was my biggest fear.  Turned out my little girl was 8lbs 6oz so I probably wouldn't have gotten her out vaginally anyway since I'm petite.  I was super scared of the csection...was shaking uncontrollably, vomitted, was super duper scared.  Getting the baby out was a piece of cake and took all of 3 minutes and I could not believe I worked myself up for nothing.  I did not feel any pain and barely any pressure...just a tug tug tug a few times but completely painless.  The whole process from prepping me until they were wheeling me out was 1 hour.  I'm now a big fan of csection for getting the baby out.  The recovery is a different story.  My advice to you is as soon as you are able (probably the next day after the surgery) force yourself to walk around a little.  Take a pain killer, wait about 45 minutes and take a walk.  Don't over do it, but the sooner you start to walk makes a world of difference.  And keep those pain killers close...you'll need them!! Getting in and out of bed the first few days is extremely tough, so you'll need help with that.  Also, the first time you have to pee, it's going to feel like you have a UTI, but that's just from the catheter.  Totally normal.

Good luck and wishing you all the best!!

Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I had an emergency c-section and my DH stayed home with me for a week. I'm a quick healer, so that seemed to be pleny of time for me. After a week, I was able to pretty much to everything unassisted. He was most helpful in changing LO's diapers because slouching to do so hurt my incision...he also cooked and helped me swing my legs up onto the bed cause using those stomach muscles hurt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would say a week.  My husband will be home depending on if i need the help.  My first I didn't, the second I did.  This one I'm sure I will too, I can't go up and down the stairs to do laundry and it's hard to get up and down on the couch the first week so having him home really helped.  

I would say the most you will need help is watching after the LO's you already have and someone to cook dinner.  I couldn't stand the first couple weeks very long so we had family cook and bring it to us (LIFE SAVER)!  So, this time we are doing freezer meals and family will cook again for us.  

So I would say my main things I needed help with were:

Laundry
    Supper
    taking care of the LO's you have
    getting up and down on the couch.  

I would say it all depends on how fast you heal.  Honestly if husband is home after 6 when the nanny leaves you won't need him home if your nanny is willing to help.  If she is, I would say hubby wouldn't have to stay home and he could go back to work.

Pregnancy Ticker image image image
  • Options
    DH was home for 10 days last time and I was OK by myself when he went back to work. My MIL came about 5 days after I got out of the hospital and cleaned, cooked and made us some freezer meals, I am so glad we had her come then. There was nothing anything that needed to be done right after coming home, but after a week of DH trying to cook/clean/help me recover, our house was not looking so pretty and our fridge was getting pretty empty.
  • Options
    I figured out during the whole labor, c-section that I am a big whimp! That said, I had a real hard time just even moving the first couple of weeks. Getting out of bed to feed the baby was pretty painful. Even sneezing hurt! So, I am not trying to be a downer or scare you or anything, but I think the first few weeks are the hardest after a c-section, so if your mom could come then, I think that would be ideal. You might be a lot tougher than me though! :)
    Carrie An infertility veteran, survivor and champion. However, have a beautiful son and another one on the way!
  • Options

I just posted on your other thread, but now I see this would be your first c/s. Since you don't know what to expect, I'd say you may need/want help for a couple of weeks. For some reason, the first abdominal surgery is the hardest to recover from, from people I've informally polled. If you have a nanny, and if she handles things related to your older kids, like preparing food for them and doing their laundry, you may not need extra help. Your DH could then do other cleaning/cooking when he's home. Extra help is nice to a point, but for me, visitors can get annoying when all I really want to do is sleep or quietly enjoy my baby, KWIM?

• Options
    My DH was home for 21 days and I needed him every second of it! The first week was well medicated, the second week was the worst.  This was my first baby so I didn't have any other babies to look after.  Like PP  said if the nanny is willing to take care of the other babies I would have help come the second week if your DH is going back to work.  
    12/13/10 BFP 12/23/10 Miscarriage 3/6/11 BFP EDD 11/09/11 11/03/11 C-Section at 39w1d for failure to progress on induction for HBP and GD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cincinnati Reds Pictures, Images and Photos image ~~~~~Everyone Welcome PgAL/PAL~~~~~~
  • Options
    Another thing to think about is that you'll be advised not to drive for 2 weeks, at least I was, so if you want/need to go somewhere you may need help with that too.
  • Options
    I've found that I needed some help during the first few weeks. Mainly so I wouldn't be lifting or overexerting myself. Especially with the older children. (With my first c-section I didn't need a whole lot of help, but with the 2nd and 3rd it was nice to have my H home for 2 to 3 weeks so he could bathe the older kids and get them back and forth to school/preschool etc. I honestly didn't feel too terrible, just sore.
  • Options
    My mom helped me the first 2 weeks then I was fine.  The only time I had trouble after that was coming up off of the couch or out of bed. I just moved a little slow.  The biggest thing about a c-section is to stay on top of your pain, don't chase it.... I took my percocets and Motrin the first 2 weeks and then I would take Tylenol about every 4-6 hours and that helped me tremendously. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"