Parenting

Looking for information on delayed vaccination schedule-pros and cons?

I would love to know your reasoning and where you got your research.

**Please no drama** 

Im having a hard time finding information that's not biased. 

TIA!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Looking for information on delayed vaccination schedule-pros and cons?

• My MIL thinks I am crazy and should "go with your gut", but if I am in doubt I always check what the AAP says.

https://www.aap.org/en-us/search/pages/results.aspx?k=delayed immunization

Look at all those articles about risks of delayed vaccination schedules.  No legitimate healthcare professional I know thinks Dr. Sears delivers good health advice. 

• imageHilarityEnsued:

Lol at "no drama". 

We follow the schedule set by the CDC... Because it's the CDC and I trust them...

Dr. Sears is a goddamn quack and I side-eye the shitz out of anyone that takes medical advice from that buffoon.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHilarityEnsued:

Lol at "no drama". 

We follow the schedule set by the CDC... Because it's the CDC and I trust them...

Dr. Sears is a goddamn quack and I side-eye the shitz out of anyone that takes medical advice from that buffoon.  

Pretty much this. 

Also, I always laugh at the word buffoon. I don't know why it's so funny to me.

Our Little Lady
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Avery - 8.2.07 | Asher - 5.12.10 | Audrey - 11.28.12

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageIgoo0304:

I don't think anyone has ever asked this question and not gotten some form of drama. I know I'm not the only parent of an immunocompromised child on this board, and. I know I'm not the only that gets upset at the idea of someone putting their healthy child at risk of preventable diseases, thus increasing my child's risk even more.

That being said, we use a slightly alternative schedule that we decided on with his pedi. If his pedi had thought it was a bad idea, we wouldn't have done it. DS gets all the shots at the correct intervals. He just never gets more than two shots in any given appointment. If its a huge combo shot, that's the only one he'll get in appointment. If he's due for more than two shots for that check-up, we come back in a week or two and he gets the rest of the shots. We were doing this before he got sick because of a family history of vaccine allergies, and we continued it to avoid overloading his weakened immune system.

if you choose an alternate to the traditional schedule, I suggest something like that. The recommended intervals between shots are not arbitrary, they are based in years of research so your child can get the maximum benefit.

I would ditto all of this, and I suggest you discuss this in-depth with your pediatrician. If they practice an alternative schedule, they should be very comfortable explaining to you the rationale behind their schedule.

Also, if you have a specific reason for considering an alternative schedule (like family history), be sure you let your pediatrician know that, so they can advise you on the best way to address your concern.

I understand why you're looking for more info, as I am a big reader too, but unfortunately, this is not an issue that you're going to find much productive dialogue about on the internet. It's more suited fora private conversation between you and your doctor. Best of luck!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We start the shots at 4 months instead of 2 (here Hep B is not given until at least grade 5 so 2 months is the recommended start date for vaccinations) and then just run a modified schedule where they only get 1 or 2 shots a visit every month until they are caught up at 8 months.  But because the Canadian schedule is different then the States schedule it would look vastly different then any kind of schedule the CDC gives but is not really different then the Canadian one, it's just 2 months longer.

The Canada Health schedule has DTaP - Hib - IPV & menno & pneumo at 2, 4 & 6 months (menno & pneumo is only 2 & 4 months) and we do DTaP - Hib - IPV at 4, 6 & 8 months and menno & pneumo 5 & 7 months.  Then the Canada Health puts MMR, chicken pox, menno & pneumo at 12 months and DTaP-Hib - IPV at 18 months.  We do them at 14/15 & 20 months.  So really we aren't doing much different, just later and the health clinic is completely fine with that, as is our doctor.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• I asked pedi about an alternative schedule and she said while it wouldn't hurt a child per se, it puts them at risk for medical errors.  She was concerned that if you deviate from the schedule then its much easier for a nurse to accidentally give them a repeat shot or miss an important follow-up.  Her stance was that its ultimately safer to go with the standard schedule.  She wasn't pushy, she's just realistic about a parent ability to follow through on medical details that deviate from the norm and tend to come with a lot of misinformation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageEllaHella:
    I talked with my pedi, whom I trust very much. DS was scheduled for several different shots at once. We both agreed it was a lot and weighed the risk of contagion on each shot to decide which should wait a few weeks. We decided to wait 3 weeks for 2 of the shots. That isn't a huge delay but did help with the barrage of shots at once. Hope that helps some. I strongly believe in vaxing and only delayed a very short time. Talk with your pedi about a schedule that keeps your kiddo up to date but gives you peace if you aren't comfy with many at once.

LOL at your pedi. "agreeing" with you that the vaccines recommended by the AAP and CDC might overwhelm your delicate snowflake's system.  No, he did not actually agree with you.  Instead, he figured that if he acted like he understood your position, at least he could talk you into a very short delay and still ensure that your child was as protected from potentially-fatal diseases as you would let him be.

No reputable pediatrician actually believes that getting the recommended dosages of vaccines "overwhelms" your child's immune system.

In 1960, kids were vaccinated against 5 illnesses.  In total, those vaccines were packed with 3,000+ separate antigens designed to stimulate the child's immune system and create immunity to those 5 illnesses.

Currently, kids are vaccinated against 11 illnesses.  In total, these vaccines contain ONLY 123 antigens to create immunity to those 11 illnesses.

In the past 50 years, scientists have greatly improved the method of creating immunity with using the very minimum number of antigens possible.  In other terms, in 1960, scientists had to essentially use a shotgun full of all sorts of potential weapons to target the illnesses they wanted to create immunity against.  Thanks to science, modern vaccines are like the equivalent of a sniper rifle--with only a very select, small group of antigens that are super targeted on creating maximum immunity with minimum undesirable side effects.

Seriously--how could we have gone from injecting our kids (for the most part very safely) with 3,000+ antigens to now only injecting about 125 antigens in the sum total of all vaccines, and only now are people blaming vaccines for "overwhelming their kids' immune systems"  and leading to a wide range of childhood problems.  If their logic was even remotely reasonable, then these kids of the 1960s and 1980s (pretty much all of us!) should have had far more problems and far more serious problems than kids of today.  But that is absolutely not true--and thus, the great majority of anti-vaccine people are simply uneducated as to the above information. 

• imageJourney33:

I would love to know your reasoning and where you got your research.

**Please no drama** 

Im having a hard time finding information that's not biased. 

TIA!! 

It is my opinion that the CDC is completely unbiased on this subject. Their sole purpose is to promote the public health and public good.

If you follow the delayed vaccination schedule, your child ends up getting more shots in total. This actually means that they actually get more preservatives shot into their veins than they would otherwise. Also, sadly not every doctor is perfect at preserving their vaccines. The conventional TDAP vaccine has a lot higher turnover rates than the goofball single dose ones. The best comparison I can make would be 2 liter bottles of regular coke and some goofy strawberry flavored soda. The strawberry soda is much more likely to collect dust and go bad because it's just not being turned over as quickly as the product that's being bought frequently.

But you know what? As long as you actually get the vaccines in your kid, I don't care what schedule you use. I think you'd be punishing yourself with extra doctor's visits and giving your LO extra shots, but I respect those are your decision to make.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • My pediatrician explained that it was not a good idea to spread them out since it would mean more doctor visits, and doctor's offices are the last place you want to take your baby (unless necessary) since they are full of sick people. Especially during flu season. It made perfect sense to me. The only shot we delayed was the Hep B when he was born. My baby was very jaundiced and I just didn't think it was a good idea. I hadn't done any research, it was just an emotional decision and the nurses explained delaying it till his two month appointment would not be harmful due to the way the disease is contracted.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesooner1981:

In 1960, kids were vaccinated against 5 illnesses.nbsp; In total, those vaccines were packed with 3,000 separate antigens designed to stimulate the child's immune system and create immunity to those 5 illnesses.
    Currently, kids are vaccinated against 11 illnesses.nbsp; In total, these vaccines contain ONLY 123 antigens to create immunity to those 11 illnesses.

Where did you learn this? I am not saying I doubt you, but I'd love to read more.

image image
  • imageRondackHiker:
    imagesooner1981:
    In 1960, kids were vaccinated against 5 illnesses.nbsp; In total, those vaccines were packed with 3,000 separate antigens designed to stimulate the child's immune system and create immunity to those 5 illnesses. Currently, kids are vaccinated against 11 illnesses.nbsp; In total, these vaccines contain ONLY 123 antigens to create immunity to those 11 illnesses.
    Where did you learn this? I am not saying I doubt you, but I'd love to read more.

https://www2.aap.org/immunization/families/overwhelm.pdf

This link explains everything I discussed in greater detail.

• I was on the fence about doing a delayed schedule for DS. Since I remember Rosie's 2 month appointment and she had like 6 shots at once. I cried like a little baby. However, since they do more combo type shots at 2 months our new pedi says it's only 2 shots. So not too bad. I will probably stick with the normal schedule since they have made them a lot less invasive than I remember.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was interested in a delayed schedule for a hot minute when I was pregnant, but I decided that a) there was not enough reputable, compelling information out there to challenge the CDC schedule and b) I did not want to have to take DD to the doctor as often as you have to to keep up.

She didn't get Hep B at birth because, I don't know, I just didn't feel like it.  She was so 'lil and I didn't feel like there was any reason why it couldn't wait until her first round of shots.  She ended up getting it at 2 weeks.  Everything else has been on schedule.

I considered not giving her the flu shot because she's allergic to eggs.  However, she's never had a reaction worse than hives, and I'd rather she have hives for a few hours than the flu. 

• imagesooner1981:

imageRondackHiker:
    imagesooner1981:
    In 1960, kids were vaccinated against 5 illnesses.nbsp; In total, those vaccines were packed with 3,000 separate antigens designed to stimulate the child's immune system and create immunity to those 5 illnesses. Currently, kids are vaccinated against 11 illnesses.nbsp; In total, these vaccines contain ONLY 123 antigens to create immunity to those 11 illnesses.

https://www2.aap.org/immunization/families/overwhelm.pdf

This link explains everything I discussed in greater detail.

Thanks! I haven't read it yet, but it is bookmarked. Not that I know any non vaccers in real life, but it is nice to have. Plus my science background makes me want to read everything myself.

image image
  • We have done a delayed vaccination schedule with our children, but not without medical necessity.  My daughter is allergic to the pertussis vaccination - so our subsequent children received 1-2 shots per visit for their first year and delayed their MMR by 6 months to ensure we weren't going to have issues.  Our pediatrician felt that the delay was worth it because he was certain we would comply with full vaccination and the risk of seizure and brain damage was high enough with DD that we needed to be careful with our other children. 

Still.  The important portion of that conversation was "medical necessity" and "Our pediatrician felt".  Given the opportunity to do it over, I'd comply with a standard schedule with my non-reactive kiddos.  It's easier and less worrisome.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"