May 2012 Moms
Options

bellelamb

um, YES!  I want suggestions as to how to be a SAHM.  We just canceled cable and phone, switched cell phone providers, and I picked up an extra tutoring job so that next year it may be possible for me to be just PT.  I've considered giving up my vehicle but that's not realistic for us.  We also just got rid of our cats so we are trying pretty much everything we can to save an extra buck here and there.  We are also planning to move to a more affordable area whenever its logical for us to do so...  Anything else for me?! :)   

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                     BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
      BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                               BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

Re: bellelamb

• Options
    We bought a deep freezer. Now I can buy meat when I see really good deals. I grocery shop in the am. That's when our grocery store has manager specials. We also switched to cloth diapers. I LOVE my cloth diapers!!!!
  • Options
    We cloth also :) and I've always wanted a deep freezer... maybe a family Christmas gift?  Thanks!

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Loading the player...
  • Options

This isn't going to make or break you as far as becoming a SAHM, but a great way to save money is to reevaluate all your insurance policies every year.  Last year I shopped around for cheaper car insurance and home owner's insurance and ended up saving at least $500 by switching companies.  I was also told that if you have energy saver appliances, you can call the electric company and they give you a discount, but I have yet to do this myself.

If you're a homeowner, another thing to do is check out the Making Home Affordable Act.  I heard there are new criteria now that will help more people save on their mortgages.  It may also be worth renting your house if you can get more than your mortgage payment for it and then renting a cheaper place for yourself. We currently do this, but basically break even just to live somewhere nicer.  If you rent, you could consider cutting back to a smaller apartment.

• Options

This might sound silly... but vinegar and baking soda can clean ANYTHING!  That's not why I switched... but I'm never running out to the store for cleaners.  It really adds up!

I don't know if you do this or not, but cloth wipes are super easy, esp. if you use Cloth Diapers. I cut up a few old receiving blankets and use water to wet them.  That and the MILLION baby facecloths I got at my shower.

I also use "unpaper towels" which are basically napkins instead of paper towels.  So I no longer have to buy them either.  I use old rags (or prefolds) for the floor and bathroom.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    COUPONS!!!!!
    I know it sounds crazy but I have been able to cut our spending budget in half. Go to thekrazycouponlady.com and read her beginners guide, and then start looking at the brag lounge.
    For instance I haven't paid for toothpaste, brushes, deodorant, in over 18 months. I don't pay more than 50cents for name brand shampoo and conditioner, dish soap, or body soap.
    It takes time but its time I'm with my boys.
    If you have questions or want to hear about my free cvs trip this week let me know.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"