Two Under 2

reactions...

I know I probably shouldn't care but I am somewhat nervous about what peoples' reaction is going to be when they find out that I am pregnant again so soon.  I am 14 weeks and we haven't shared yet with anyone. My kids will be 13 months apart. Just curious about what sort of reactions you ladies received when you spilled the beans and how you handled it.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: reactions...

• Congratulations and welcome to 2U2!

Mine weren't as close as yours, but I got all kinds of reactions, going from "Awesome!" to "Was it planned?" (<--- from my own mother, no less). As for how to handle it - I dealt with the "Oh you're gonna have your hands full" comments and the likes the same way I'd deal with unsolicited advice: smile and nod. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I got a lot of "you're gonna have your hands full" responses.

Having gone through infertility and feeling incredibly blessed with an unmedicated and free pregnancy that docs had told me was unlikely to ever happen my response was canned and I spat it at people readily:

"Full hands and a full heart"

Hold your head high and show them that you embrace it and they will too. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Loading the player...
  • 13 months apart here as well.  Grandparents were thrilled and DH was thrilled.  That was plenty for me.  I always wanted my kids close together in age, granted this is really close, but I still couldn't be happier.  Yes, I get tons of "you'll have your hands full" comments, but I just shrug them off and smile.  Part of me imagines they are jealous.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Mine are farther apart than yours - almost 19 months - but we didn't get many negative reactions. A lot of surprised people and "We didn't know you were trying again" (um, because we didn't tell you, thanks). A few "was it planned to which I tended to reply "Does it matter?" Any hands full/you'll be busy comments I answer with "In a good way" or something along those lines. But overall most people were either excited for us or just didn't really react. 
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine will be almost exactly 11 months apart. From my family I got mostly "really? Already?" They all knew we would be trying when DS2 was 6 months old so him only being 2 months old was kinda fast.  From friends they were all happy for me. Not sure what they were thinking but no one actually made any comments about it being too soon or my hands being full. Most peoples concerns wasn't how close together they were but that we were going to have 4 kids with only a 1-person income(I SAH). As of right now I can SAH but we will be reevaluating after this child is born to see if my having a job will actually help us financially or just be a bigger problem(daycare & after-school care costs).

SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Mine are 13.5 months apart. I did get a lot of negative reactions from strangers when I was pregnant. Once my 2nd was born I became a spectacle and everyone and their mother thought it was perfectly acceptable to talk about anything to me, touch my kids or just stare. I got over it though. My DH and I were and are happy so that's all we cared about. 

Now we get a lot of "oh, are they twins?" I used to say that they are a year part, but now I just say yes. My DS is big and they look the same size anyway...  

• I got a lot of "Again?!" and  "So soon??"

Definitely a lot of "Did you plan this?"

Lots of people say "Wow! You'll have your hands full!" Or "Oh my! Sleep while you can!" (not sure how much they think a 15 month old sleeps...)

• imagehowleyshell:

"Full hands and a full heart"

I love this response! I will DEFINITELY be using this.

• Thanks ladies for the responses. I guess I am nervous that I will "outted" at thanksgiving.
  • First of Congrats, second, be prepared for people to say stupid things, "do you know where babies come from?" "did you plan this?" "you will be so busy".... the list goes on and on, I've learned to smile and nod to most of them, my latest response to "you must be so busy" or "how do you have time for them all" is, "I just have really good time management skills", sorry but it really rubs me the wrong way when people imply that I don't have enough time, or hands, for my children (weather they meant it or not).

Most people don't mean to be rude, they just have verbal diarrhea when it comes to things like this, but there are judgy people out there, and I hope that you don't run into any of them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • I'm apparently the only one on TB but I don't mind at all when people ask if it was planned or say it must be really hard, busy or whatever. I readily answer that nope, it wasn't planned, and laugh about it. I guess I just don't take these things so seriously. I don't think people are implying that I love my daughter less because she was a surprise. And it IS busy and even hard a lot of times, so why be offended by those comments? I know I'm doing fine and my kids are well taken care of. That's all I need to know.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagekatwoman08:
    Thanks ladies for the responses. I guess I am nervous that I will "outted" at thanksgiving.

With my son, I went to Christmas and only my mom knew.
    I got hot sauce as a gift, and proceeded to put hot sauce on my finger and taste it. By taste, I mean I ate like a quarter of the little bottle.

When I let everyone else know, they told me they kind of had an idea.

• I'm only 7 weeks and have only told my SIL, mother, and grandmother (very close to all of them). My SIL was very happy for me, she had her son 5 weeks after I had dd and was considering having another soon as well. My grandmother was thrilled for me, she planned all three of hers to be 18 months apart (the age difference that will be between dd & #2). My mother was just shocked, she thought I only wanted one. I did get the "was it planned?" from her, but it didn't bother me, she wasn't meaning to be rude, dd wasn't planned lol. I'm so excited about having two close in age I don't really care what anyone says (we plan to make a big announcement at Christmas).
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We got "was it planned" the most from friends.  Family was excited for us as they knew we wanted ours close in age and we had a MC before we got pregnant again.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"