Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

We May Get To See It

We may get to see the Notre Dame v Bama NCG thanks to the Oregon and KState losses. 

And in other news, my Vols have fired Derek Dooley. Finally. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: We May Get To See It

• Options
    Is that a good thing?  Personally I don't want to see that.  It is almost as bad as a SEC v SEC championship game.

• Options
    I just want to see Notre Dame in it, I don't really care who they wind up playing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hopefully my Badgers will follow suite and fire that waste of space Bret Bielema.  All he has done in his time here is lose back to back Rose Bowls and get fatter on the sidelines.

I still think Notre Dame loses at USC this weekend. 

• Options
    imageladyjenna13:

Hopefully my Badgers will follow suite and fire that waste of space Bret Bielema.  All he has done in his time here is lose back to back Rose Bowls and get fatter on the sidelines.

I still think Notre Dame loses at USC this weekend. 

I really enjoyed the Badgers game this weekend.  Of course I was wearing scarlet and grey during the game.  Bielema is not going anywhere though.  Just getting to the Rose Bowl is enough for Big Ten coaches to get a contract extension.

• Options
    In other college football news, the conference expansion dominoes are going to start falling again.  It is being reported that Maryland has officially accepted an invitation to the Big Ten with Rutgers expected to follow suit tomorrow.

• Options
    Yeah, I saw that.  Apparently Notre Dame moving conferences sparked the idea of further expansion.  That is going to be one heck of a trip to go from Iowa City to College Park, Maryland.
  • Options
    It is another step closer to having four 16 team super conferences.  Sooner or later Notre Dame is going to have to give up their independence for a seat at the table.

• Options

imageColtsdad:
    Yeah, I saw that.  Apparently Notre Dame moving conferences sparked the idea of further expansion.  That is going to be one heck of a trip to go from Iowa City to College Park, Maryland.

Remember a team like Penn State is already making the ocassional road trip to Lincoln. That is no small hike. I don't get Maryland and Rutgers. Rutgers is already in the Big East, why not bring Maryland over there as well? I still believe Notre Dame will end up in the Big Ten.

• Options

It is all about the money.  The Big East may not survive the football wars.  The Big Ten has the Big Ten Network that funnels a fair amount of cash and national exposure to the athletic departments, and with teams like Ohio St., Nebraska, Penn St. and Michigan, are already assured pretty much of being one of the 4 surviving conferences.

I temporarily spaced on Nebraska, so the longest trip will be from Lincoln to New Brunswick, NJ for the Nebraska/Rutgers matchups.  Outside shot that College Park might be the furthest, but I'm guessing it is New Brunswick.

• Options
    Yeah, ACC to Big East is a step down.  The Big East is in trouble.  They are about to lose 2 more members.  After Rutgers goes to the Big Ten, UConn is probably headed to the ACC to take Maryland's spot.  Louisville wants to be in the Big 12.  Big 12 might be a future home for Cincinnati as well (they will never get a Big 10 invite).

• Options

The Big East had a network for as long as I can remember....ESPN!!!

I don't think that they renewed that contract this year, but I could be wrong.

• Options
    Yeah they turned down ESPN's offer and put themselves on the open market for their next tv contract.

• Options
    imageColtsdad:

It is all about the money.  The Big East may not survive the football wars.  The Big Ten has the Big Ten Network that funnels a fair amount of cash and national exposure to the athletic departments, and with teams like Ohio St., Nebraska, Penn St. and Michigan, are already assured pretty much of being one of the 4 surviving conferences.

I temporarily spaced on Nebraska, so the longest trip will be from Lincoln to New Brunswick, NJ for the Nebraska/Rutgers matchups.  Outside shot that College Park might be the furthest, but I'm guessing it is New Brunswick.

The only thing wrong with the bolded part is you forgot the team that has pretty much dominated Big Ten Football along with Ohio State, and that would be Wisconsin. Since Barry Alvarez came to my alma mater, Only Ohio State has had more success in conference, and the Badgers actually have a better bowl record than any other Big Ten team in the last 15 years. I give you the name power of the programs you listed, but no one has won more than Wisconsin in this conference over the last decade. And only Ohio State has had more guys get drafted over that same period of time.

You know I gotta stick up for Bucky.....no one else will!

• Options

imagePrime:
    In other college football news, the conference expansion dominoes are going to start falling again.  It is being reported that Maryland has officially accepted an invitation to the Big Ten with Rutgers expected to follow suit tomorrow.

And I heard a rumor that GA Tech is considering it too....

That can't happen. My team and my hubby's team can't play in the same conference... then I have to cheer against him! LOL 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, Wisconsin is a very good football program, but if you go to your average college football fan and ask them to name 3 or 4 teams, my money would be your top team mentioned are Michigan and Ohio State.  I'd imagine Nebraska and Penn State would be next due to their historical successes.  Wisconsin I'd imagine would garner the 5th position when it comes to football when it comes to being on people's minds.  When I left Wisconsin off, it was no slight to their success in football, but to the teams that instantly come to mind.
  • Options

imageColtsdad:
    Yes, Wisconsin is a very good football program, but if you go to your average college football fan and ask them to name 3 or 4 teams, my money would be your top team mentioned are Michigan and Ohio State.  I'd imagine Nebraska and Penn State would be next due to their historical successes.  Wisconsin I'd imagine would garner the 5th position when it comes to football when it comes to being on people's minds.  When I left Wisconsin off, it was no slight to their success in football, but to the teams that instantly come to mind.

I think that is based on the region you live in, tbh.

• Options

imageColtsdad:

I do agree with a lot of what you say here, but at the end of the day the last two Rose Bowls have had the Badgers as the Big Ten team.  Not to mention, it was Wisconsin, not Ohio State, not Michigan, not Penn State, not Nebraska, that won the first Big Ten Championship Game.

In the Big Ten Country, Wisconsin is always considered a model program, well ahead of the programs you listed, except for Ohio State.

185-95 since 1990. 17 Bowl games since 1990, six total prior to 1990. 5 Big Ten Titles since 1990. Winner of first Big Ten Title Game. 30 former players on current NFL rosters.

Full Disclosure: I write this with a picture of my son and I in full Cardinal Red Badger gear staring down at me while at work. I probably have no business ranking Big Ten teams as I think all other Big Ten teams not worthy of the pub:-) 

On Wisconsin!!!

• Options
    As a Big Ten fan, yes Wisconsin has been a huge team for the conference in recent history.  The fact still remains that nationally no one cares.  They still aren't a household name across the country.  Right now, that's what matters because that is what makes big $$ for tv contracts.

• Options

imagePrime:
    As a Big Ten fan, yes Wisconsin has been a huge team for the conference in recent history.  The fact still remains that nationally no one cares.  They still aren't a household name across the country.  Right now, that's what matters because that is what makes big $$ for tv contracts.

Come on Prime......no team has done more in this conference in recent history. Wisconsin is on ESPN/ABC every single weekend.  The same cannot be said for any other team in the conference besides Ohio State. Wisconsin currently brings in as much revenue to the conference as any other team does, and based on Rose Bowls and Championship games, no team in the conference has more face time than the Badgers. Even this year, with the bowl bans, this horrible, horrible Wisconsin team will play in back to back Big Ten Championship games. And Nebraska will be there again too. I would say Nebraska and Wisconsin are driving revenue in the conference now, not Ohio State or Michigan. Sadly, the Badgers do not deserve what they are getting, but Ohio State is a cheating university, and Penn State is a mess.

Again, Full Disclosure.  I bleed Badger Red.

On Wisconsin!!

• Options
    I was agreeing with you that they've been a big part of the Big Ten's recent success.  The problem is that nationally they are not given that recognition.  It's just the stigma and how blinded people are by tradition in college football.  It's the other side of the coin that let Notre Dame feel important for the last 20 years.

• Options

imagePrime:
    I was agreeing with you that they've been a big part of the Big Ten's recent success.  The problem is that nationally they are not given that recognition.  It's just the stigma and how blinded people are by tradition in college football.  It's the other side of the coin that let Notre Dame feel important for the last 20 years.

I agree with you there, to a degree, but I think the tide has been turning the last few years. 

In the SI pre-season college football issue they actually ranked the Badgers in the top 10 and mentioned National Championship in their little preview article. That would have been unheard of even five years ago!

I was FLOORED!!!!!!

• Options

Funny that the thread with the most posts here has to do with college football.

Men will be men.......

• Options
    imageladyjenna13:

Funny that the thread with the most posts here has to do with college football.

Men will be men.......

lol I was noticing that too.

I am trying to stay quiet.

Alabama vs Michigan is all I need to know about the B1G  :) 

EDIT: I am being a little facetious here I know. :)  I actually like Big 10 football.  

• Options
    That is if Bama can last to see the NCG, also be thankful that my Buckeyes are banned from bowl games, they won their division but are not allowed to play in the Big Ten championship game to have a chance for a NCG.

• Options
    imageladyjenna13:

Hopefully my Badgers will follow suite and fire that waste of space Bret Bielema.  All he has done in his time here is lose back to back Rose Bowls and get fatter on the sidelines

Despite the success of the Badgers, I agree that Bielema has contributed to a downhill slide. While we weren't in the Rose Bowl every year before, we had teams that didn't lose to D2 schools! I love the Badgers, but they need to step up their game if they plan to stay in the running for anything. After all, who woulda thought a team that can't even get top 25 votes would end up in the Big Ten title game? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'll say here what I said to my buddy who is a big Notre Dame fan:

I cannot WAIT to see an SEC team put up 75 points against ND in the National Championship. 

• Options

Trust me, as far as the Big Ten goes... my school is all basketball and very rarely involved in much positive in football (Indiana).  I follow them somewhat, but due to distant family ties, I go Notre Dame for football. 

Yes, in recent history, Wisconsin has been one of, if not the most productive Big Ten team when it comes to football.  Nothing can be taken away from that, it is the truth.  But when you ask the average fan to name teams, they'll name the teams who have had decades of prolonged success and national titles hence my statement originally of people thinking Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State, even though some of those teams had the bulk of their success outside of their run in the Big Ten.

Not saying that the exclusion of Wisconsin is necessarily fair, but it is what it is.

• Options
    imageColtsdad:

Trust me, as far as the Big Ten goes... my school is all basketball and very rarely involved in much positive in football (Indiana).  I follow them somewhat, but due to distant family ties, I go Notre Dame for football. 

Yes, in recent history, Wisconsin has been one of, if not the most productive Big Ten team when it comes to football.  Nothing can be taken away from that, it is the truth.  But when you ask the average fan to name teams, they'll name the teams who have had decades of prolonged success and national titles hence my statement originally of people thinking Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State, even though some of those teams had the bulk of their success outside of their run in the Big Ten.

Not saying that the exclusion of Wisconsin is necessarily fair, but it is what it is.

Indiana hoops being back on top is the best thing to happen to the conference and college BB as a whole in a long, long time.  Looking forward to the Crean-Ryan matchup on Jan. 15 down there.

Tom Crean is a great coach, but he is high maintanence as well. Loved him here at Marquette, but remember, that Final Four was a long time ago, and with D-Wade. Heartbreak does tend to follow him around. 

• Options

I agree. Indiana being a powerhouse in BB does nothing but good thins for the sport. And I feel that way about Notre Dame and football too. 

They both have huge national followings which are important to the game.

Indiana will be a FF team for sure.  

• Options
    I agree, there are certain historic programs where the game just seems to be better if the team is good... for football Notre Dame is one of them.  For basketball, it seems like Indiana, Kentucky, UCLA and at least one of the Duke/UNC, if not both.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"