Food Allergy

MSPI/CMPI

Has anyone had good luck with eliminating dairy and not soy while BFing?

My little guys symptoms are mainly fussiness, gas, and some mucous in diapers. He's gaining, but at the low end of normal.The dr first said he had colic, but he is now suggesting I cut out dairy.

I gave up dairy 3 days ago, and he already seems to be smiling more. How long does it take to really know if it's making a difference? Could he just have a sensitivity? Do most babies outgrow MPI?

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)

Re: MSPI/CMPI

• It can take up to 6 weeks for dairy to leave your breast milk completely. Also, yes most babies do outgrow the intolerance by 18 months or so. 

I would say, if his symptoms are not really cleared up in 3 to 4 weeks to think about cutting soy. It is very hard but if you want to keep bfing, it might be your only option.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My LO has MSPI.  It takes @ 2-4 weeks to see a difference in your LOs diapers and @ 6 weeks for them to return back to normal. From what my pedi says most children will outgrow their dairy/soy intolerance but it does make them more prone to developing an actual allergy. We plan to introduce dairy after 12 months and monitor how LO reacts. Hopefully she will not develop a dairy allergy in the future.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are completely dairy free, but only avoid soy milk.  DS can tolerate me (or him) having things containing soy, the actual soy milk is just too much.  We had hoped he would outgrow it, but at 16 months he is actually becoming more sensitive to the dairy.  Before we could have things that were processed with items containing dairy, but no dairy themselves, but now even that is setting him off.  We actually just had a disastrous weekend of reactions eating things that he has had before with no issues.  

ETA: Sorry, this kind of became my own vent!  :-(   For DS, it took a full three weeks for him to be back to normal and his diapers to completely clear up.  We did see almost immediate improvement, though, it just took that long to see the full improvement.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagelucylea:

We are completely dairy free, but only avoid soy milk.  DS can tolerate me (or him) having things containing soy, the actual soy milk is just too much.  We had hoped he would outgrow it, but at 16 months he is actually becoming more sensitive to the dairy.  Before we could have things that were processed with items containing dairy, but no dairy themselves, but now even that is setting him off.  We actually just had a disastrous weekend of reactions eating things that he has had before with no issues.  

ETA: Sorry, this kind of became my own vent!  :-(   For DS, it took a full three weeks for him to be back to normal and his diapers to completely clear up.  We did see almost immediate improvement, though, it just took that long to see the full improvement.  

Did you start with just avoiding obvious dairy? What were his initial symptoms? And what age?

I feel like avoiding just dairy has made a big improvement in his mood, so I'm hoping I won't have to avoid all hidden soy.

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • imageJAWMIN:

Did you start with just avoiding obvious dairy? What were his initial symptoms? And what age?

I feel like avoiding just dairy has made a big improvement in his mood, so I'm hoping I won't have to avoid all hidden soy.

I gave up dairy when he was roughly a month old.  He was congested, had crazy green, mucousy diapers, and was gassy and fussy all the time.  He would also get a diaper rash whenever I had a day of extra dairy.  Initially I gave up all dairy, including hidden, and then after a month tried to reintroduce the hidden stuff, but it was a no go for him as we saw a reaction almost immediately.  

Since he had done so well with just the dairy we didn't worry about soy and I drank almond milk.  A few weeks ago I had a glass of soy milk at a friends house and he reacted so that's why we are now avoiding soy milk.  I know they say most babies who can't tolerate dairy also can't tolerate soy, but of the people I know IRL who have kids with dairy issues none of them have to avoid soy.  

I'm still breastfeeding at 16 months and intend to keep going.  It was hard at first, but honestly now its just a part of life and once I got the hang of it I don't think its that hard unless we go to a new restaurant.   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"