December 2011 Moms
Options

DSLRers

I keep going back and forth on whether to ask for one for Christmas due to some concerns I have, so figured I'd ask your opinion!

1. Do you find that you use it often or do you still use your phone or whatever to capture daytoday moments and the DSLR for planned shots?

2. Have you found the quality really that much better than 100 digital cameras? Or is it all in the editing?

3. I've read a lot of reviews for some of the popular ones and they've said they aren't quick enough to keep up with kids. Have you found this to be true? Which model do you have?

4. Anything else you wish you knew or asked before getting one? Anything you regret about your camera?

Thanks in advance!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: DSLRers

• Options

I don't have a good phone camera, so I use my DSLR 100% at home, and sometimes when were out. Otherwise I have a P&S that I use out and about.

Yep, quality can't compare to P&S cameras! Editing really helps, but there are some good online tools you can use for free to make them look even better (Picasa and PicMonkey). 

I've had no problem taking pix of DS. Just make sure your shutter speed is fast enough :)

I have a Canon T3i. I really like it, but I wish it would auto focus in video mode, that would be my only gripe with it.

Also, if you do get one, you must get a Light Scoop! It has seriously saved my life. It's $30 and is almost as good as a Speedlite flash. I love it!

PS- My siggy pic was taken in my living room with my camera and Light Scoop with no crazy lights, but I did use a gold reflector. A little editing in PSE, too. 

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options

1. I use my camera phone often, but when Its important I pull out my Canon.

2. I ALWAYS shoot in manual and RAW. With manual you have(but have to learn) complete control of your settings. By shooting in RAW v.s. JPEG you have SO much more control over an image in post processing.

3. I have a Canon EOS 20D. I bought it used off of adorama.com. Its a really repuatable site for used camera equipment. Its a beginner camera, but thats what I am so it works out great! I also would recommend a 50mm lens instead of the 'kit' lens. I love it.

5. No, I'm happy with my $300 setup. I would like a speedlight and nice camera bag though;)

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Like PP, I also have a Canon T3i. My phone and P+S have so much shutter lag time that they are really frustrating. We use the Canon at home, although I don't carry it with me generally (it's pretty big) so a quick photo of LO looking goofy on the subway is done with my cellphone.

Full disclosure... Somebody else took the photo in my sig. I don't remember what kind of camera it was or if it was a phone... Smile

• Options

1 - I use them both.  I wouldn't say my DSLR is only for "planned" shots, because I will just pull it out randomly.

2 - yes, quality is much better and it's not all editing.  BUT, it helps to know how to use the DSLR

3 - I have a Canon Rebel XS (has since been replaced by some other model).  It's awesome but the benefit really comes more from the lenses you buy.  they're only "too slow" for kids if you can't adjust the settings for the lighting. (which comes more from not knowing how than being unable to)

If you do get one, I also recommend the book "Understanding Exposure"  It taught me a lot

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    Thanks ladies! We went to best buy today just so I could touch them and compare and I liked the Canon models more.

Now I just need to determine how dedicated I will be to learning how to use it properly so it's not a waste of money. Thanks for the book rec!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

1. Do you find that you use it often or do you still use your phone or whatever to capture daytoday moments and the DSLR for planned shots?

I try to avoid using my phone altogether. I typically only use it only to send DH pictures while he's at work. Otherwise I use my DSLR around home all the time and on planned photo shoots out. I keep my regular point and shoot in the diaper bag for unplanned photo opportunities out. 

2. Have you found the quality really that much better than 100 digital cameras? Or is it all in the editing?

Absolutely. It doesn't even compare really. I do use PSE to edit some...but that's only "the cherry on top".

3. I've read a lot of reviews for some of the popular ones and they've said they aren't quick enough to keep up with kids. Have you found this to be true? Which model do you have?

I have the Canon T2i. I don't really find this at all...

4. Anything else you wish you knew or asked before getting one? Anything you regret about your camera?

I'm still a newbie. I've taken classes and read some. But I wished I knew it would be such a long learning process. If I wasn't truly dedicated to learning my camera and trying to get better it would be a waste of money. I went with a package deal with a kit lens. I got a really good deal on it...but had I of not I would regret getting the package deal because I'm not a big fan of my kit lens and rarely use it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1. I use my DSLR 98% of the time. The other 2% I use a small P&S or my phone. I honestly have become so used to using my DSLR that I generally don't even think twice about using it.

2. If you take the time to learn how to properly use the SLR's settings, there's very little editing needed. The quality of a DSLR is above and beyond IMO. With proper settings, your get excellent shots SOOC (straight out of camera).

3. So not true. I have a Canon Rebel T1i that I use as my main "around the house" camera. It's plenty fast. It's all in how you set the shutter speed.

4. I don't regret anything. I have multiple cameras, but the T1i is the one I use the most (mostly due to familiarity and comfort). I would suggest going to a big box store and just pick up the DSLRs and play around with them. Get a feel for the settings, see what you like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

1. I use both my phone (I am kind of hooked on Instagram) and my SLR.  I don't always pose my kid pictures, but I do make an effort to bring my camera to the playground or wherever I know we'll be doing something fun.  I figure I'm not a pro, but since I spend so much time with my kids, chances are higher I'll get a good shot if I have my camera with me all the time.  But I don't carry it as much as I should.

2. Definitely better than point and shoot/phone cameras if you take the time to learn how to use it.

3. There are two issues here:  shutter lag and shutter speed.  Point and shoot and phone cameras have shutter lag, which means there's time between when you press the shutter button and when the camera actually takes the picture.  Shutter lag is infinitesimal with DSLRs, which makes them better for photographing kids even if you shoot on auto.  But depending on what lens you have on your camera and how much light there is where you're taking the picture, the shutter speed may be slow enough that your pictures are blurry, either from your kids moving around too fast or because you can't hold the camera still enough.  This is not a function of the camera so much as the lens and knowing how to adjust settings for the situation.

4. No regrets.  I got my first DSLR in 2006 and I love using it.  I recommend taking a class, reading a book, doing a tutorial online, or whatever way you learn best to make the most of your camera, because the difference between a DSLR and a P&S/phone camera is more apparent the more you know how to use it.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"