Working Moms
Options

Working right up until day of delivery

Just wondering how many of you working moms worked right up until the day of delivery or took off a few weeks (days) early. Also, does FMLA cover time you take off before leave if it is close to your due date or do you have to use vacation time? I know I can ask my HR department this question, but I usually get a faster response posting here :)

Re: Working right up until day of delivery

• Options
    I worked right up until the day both times.  I am able to work from home on occasion, so I did more of that in the final couple of weeks, and of course I made sure to transition my work well ahead of time and keep everyone in the loop.  With DD, I actually kept working during early labor (which was loooooong).  With DS, I went into labor on the weekend.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I worked until I delivered 5 days after my due date. I wanted that time at home with Ds. I would have driven myself crazy sitting at home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The problem with taking time off "before the baby comes" is that unless you're getting induced, that day is completely unpredictable. One week of pre-baby leave based on an EDD could turn into three weeks in the case of a 42 week pregnancy, and vacation/maternity leave policies vary between employers/states. So yes, you should check with HR what your workplace policies are.

Personally, I think it's nice to have the distraction of work & people to interact with during that final stretch of pregnancy.  Sure, it gets old with everyone asking when you're due -- but in terms of staying physically & mentally active, it's definitely a good thing.  If I were to do it all again, I'd continue to work up until "labor day."  What I don't understand is what on earth these pregnant women who take pre-maternity leave are doing all day.  Unless you're on bedrest, I don't see a good reason for it.  There's plenty of time for cleaning or making freezer meals after work and on the weekends.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image
  • Options
    My last day of work was Wednesday; I was admitted to the hospital by noon on Thursday.  Didn't exactly plan on cutting it that close, but DS was 4 days early.   Guess I couldn't have planned it better if I had tried! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I took the week before my EDD off and it worked out in my favor. I had LO that Friday and I'm in the military so I'm not sure what FMLA is, but I did have to use personal leave.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

i worked until my due date (a friday).  i was planning on going in on monday, but went into labor instead.  i could have taken off early, but it would have counted towards my 12 weeks off, and i wanted as much time off after delivery as possible. 

edit - i should say, the time prior to delivery counting towards my 12 weeks was due to my job situation, and may not have been in line with what is allowed with FMLA.  i didn't want to take off any more time than possible b/c i was a resident when i had my baby - more time off translated into a later date that i could graduate from residency.  

DS1 10/5/09 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Can't use FMLA until you go into the hospital (or have other medical reason).

Mine worked out great. I really wanted a few days to relax at home before baby. With DD, I think I worked at the office until maybe Weds. before my my due date? Then I worked from home the last few days--great to wrap things up that way--and I felt much better knowing everything at work was totally cleaned up in my office and I could just wrap up loose ends at home and not worry about being out all of a sudden with my office a mess. Her due date was MLK day, so we were off, and then I was allowed to take sick time for the next 2 days and went in for an induction starting Weds. night.

With DS, I worked at work through Dec. 2. He was due on Dec. 3 and I worked from home that day. Worked from home the next week PT until I went into labor (He was a week overdue!). 

I LOVED having some time off and would love to get some again. I'm tentatively planning on working from home and/or taking some days without pay in week 39. Don't understand the people who would be bored at home pre-delivery! Also, my babies have all been winter in Wisconsin babies and I have a long commute--it was just so much easier not having to worry about driving in the snow and ice, and I could wear whatever I wanted. Was able to take naps, get a pedicure, do last-minute baby things, wrap gifts for Christmas, etc.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

My plan was to work up until the time I went into labor.  I did not want to use any of my maternity leave to be at home without the baby.  I would have had to use vacation time or not get paid at all.  My last day of work was July 3rd, my water broke July 4th and I had her July 5th.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I worked up to and past my dd. didn't want to waste any of my time on sitting around the house. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

Went into labor at work.  Drove home.  Hung out all day.  Called DH and then finally when I couldn't take it anymore we headed to the hospital. 

I refused to waste any of my 14 weeks off pre-baby. 

• Options

I worked past 41 weeks. My induction date was a scheduled for a Wednesday at 41.5 weeks so I took off Mon & Tues to rest up. Ended up going into labor late Tuesday night (thank goodness!) 

I didn't use more leave than this bc I wanted to conserve it to use with my baby.  

• Options
    I worked right up to delivery. My work would not let me work past my due date, so I worked the day before, and then was induced the next day. I was pretty miserable the last 4 weeks. I'm probably going to take a week off in advance this time. I can't answer the FMLA question because I'm a canuck.
  • Options

Both my kids were born on a Monday.  I worked the Friday preceeding with both kids.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    I went to work Friday my water broke early Monday morning. When I went to bed on Sunday I was planning on going to work Monday. DS was 2 weeks early and planned to work until DS was born. 12 week leave is so short didn't want to waste it before DS was born.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I worked on a Friday and my water broke at 3 the next morning with ds.  With dd, I worked on the Monday and she was born early Tuesday morning.   

• Options
    I planned to work until one week before EDD, ended up going on leave a week before that. I wasn't able to keep up with the physical demands of the job as long as I thought. The first two weeks off were great. H works from home so we were able to have lunch together every day. I felt great about the cooking and cleaning I got done. I couldn't get that done while working because after 10 hour days outside, I was too tired!

I was induced at 41.5 weeks and the last 10 days pre baby were pretty boring. I was climbing the walls and constantly refreshing my work email. If I had it to do over again, I would still take the extra time off though. Pros outweighed cons. If I weren't in California I imagine I'd feel terrible about using 3.5 weeks of leave before baby arrived.
  • Options
    My due date was on a Monday so my last scheduled day was the Friday before. I went into labor on my due date and LO was born on Tuesday, so perfect timing on his part.
  • Options
    I work for the hospital. My boss tried to send me home 30min away when I thought i was in labor but I would have rather been at the hospital than farther away from it. I had a Dr apt that afternoon and he sent me in to be induced based on DDs size and when we got there I was indeed already in active labor. So I worked right up until I was admitted that day.
  • Options
    I've always worked up to the day before (or even day of) delivery.  I've always had to use PTO (or unpaid time off for some jobs) so I wanted to spend as much time with my baby before going back to work.  I'd rather be hot, fat and miserable and getting paid for it rather than hot, fat and miserable siting at home!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    Yup, right up until delivery. I saw no point in starting my leave early.
  • Options
    I worked through Friday (a week bf my due date) and had DD on Sunday/Monday in the wee hours.  Next time I will have a scheduled c section so I will probably just take off a day or two before.
  • Options
    I was due on June 6th (a Wednesday). The Monday of that week, there were no signs of baby, but I was exhausted. I let them know that if I hadn't had the baby before then, my last day would be Friday June 8th. I worked that Friday and then went into labor Saturday June 9th. I work a desk job though. If I had a job where I had to be on my feet all day, I probably would have used vacation leave for that last week,
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I worked until I delivered. I was 8 days early.  

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    I worked up until the day of my delivery.  My STD kicked in after 2 wks. Therefore, I had to use vacay time or unpaid leave before then.  I wanted to spend my time off with the baby v. waiting (which could be several wks). If I had unlimited PTO,I would have definitely taken 1 wk for myself before baby's arrival.
  • Options
    In CA your doctor can sign your out 30 days before your due date and you get SDI that does not count against time off after the baby.  My doctor said it was totally up to me for when she signed me out.  I would plan on playing it by ear.  Some can work until the very end while others have jobs that require long commutes and physical activity that makes this hard.
  • Options
    I worked right up until delivery.  For the most part, I felt fine, and I wanted to save my vacation time for after I had DD.  DD ended up being 2 weeks early, and I went into labor on a Sunday.  I'm a teacher, so I worked the Friday before.
  • Options

I delivered on Sunday and worked on Friday. FMLA did cover time off.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I planned to work until I went into labor,we needed the money and I didn't get FMLA because of company size so my entire leave was just my vacation time. I was allowed to take 12 weeks but only got paid for the vacay I had saved up. Anyway, DS was due on a Friday but arrived early the Tuesday morning before his due date. I worked a horribly busy day Saturday and had Sunday and Monday off, which was my normal schedule, and went into labor Monday night. It worked out perfectly. This time I will probably be induced so I will most likely work until the day before.

• Options
    Yes, both times. I don't know about the FMLA, but I had to use a week's worth of sick time before I could get NYS short term disability. That was after delivery though.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yep, I worked all the way up until delivery.  I actually went into labor on Thursday morning and had worked and volunteered at church the night before.  

Most times FMLA will kick in once you go out on leave, so if you take time before the baby is born, you'll get less time after (unless your state grants extra time).  I preferred to use my leave to spend with the baby.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

With #1 I took off about 2 weeks early and thank goodness I did because DD came a week early!  I started working PT at the time so I ended up not having to use any sick days, FMLA, disability, etc.

With #2 I was back to working FT and had very little sick days so I worked until I gave birth.  I used up all my sick days and then did disability so I could stay out for 6 weeks.  We couldn't afford to use FMLA so I could stay out longer.  I had to go back to work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am due on a Saturday, so I'm planning to work up until the Friday before.  With DD, I was so uncomfortable the last weed before my due date, so I ended up starting my leave then.  We're allowed to start our maternity leave 5 working days before our due date and it does count against the 60 working days off we're allowed.
  • Options
    I worked right up to delivery with both girls. DD1 was induced at 41 weeks and DD2 was born at 38w4d. I wanted to take as much time as possible off after each baby.
  • Options
    I worked up to three days before delivery, and I believe FMLA starts from the days you take off. I was worried because I didnt want to be like a week late since it was my first child. Luckily I went into labor a day after my due date. 
  • Options
    I worked right up until the day before delivery (induction due to being overdue by a week and a half), but I had a very easy pregnancy. Your mileage may vary. FMLA will cover from the point that your doctor says that you should not be working. Since I could only take 6 weeks of FMLA (at my job, if you took the full 12 weeks you would have to burn through all of your sick and vacation time, but if you took 6 you could save some of your vacation time and I needed a week saved), I really didn't want any of that to happen before the birth as I wanted as much time as possible home with the baby. 
  • Options

Right up to delivery both times.

First time, I went on leave on Friday and my water broke the following Monday night.

Second time, baby was 3 weeks early. I went home from work on Friday and woke up to my water breaking a few hours later.

This time, I would REALLY like to actually have a few days of resting before the baby comes, so I'll probably go on leave at 37 weeks. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Worked until I delivered, both times. Not super easy as you are tired and feel like tar at the end but it's worth it. Some women cannot due to complications, pain, whatever. Just do what works for you!

1st time I was 5 days overdue and was asked multiple times each day 'Oh, you're still here?'. I had gone in for a check up and to schedule an induction when we found my fluid was low and I was being induced that morning. Called the boss and said 'maternity leave starts now'.

2nd time was a scheduled cs. I took a 1/2 day the day before to run some errands (um, baby book shopping) and that was about it.

• Options
    With DS I worked right up until the day before he was born (which was a Saturday).  He was actually born a month early, but I would have kept working even if I had gone full term.  I had to use five days of sick/vacation time before my leave would kick in.  I'm not sure what happens if you take extra time off before the baby comes, but I would guess you would have to go back earlier on the other end to make up for it.
  • Options
    imagegy86:

What I don't understand is what on earth these pregnant women who take pre-maternity leave are doing all day.  Unless you're on bedrest, I don't see a good reason for it.  There's plenty of time for cleaning or making freezer meals after work and on the weekends.

A friend of ours decided she was done working three weeks before her due date, and ended up delivering a week late (which I think had something to do with it, since she had basically put herself on modified bed rest).  I thought that was ridiculous, and she was bored out of her mind. 

• Options
    I worked right up to when she arrived. (I was due on Monday 3/5. I worked the Friday before, went into labor on Sunday night and had her on her due date.)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"