Adoption
Options

New, Overwhelmed: NJ Adoption

We have just begun exploring adoption.  I am so overwhelmed.  I know that we want to adopt and infant and we are open to any ethnicity and some special needs.  We are ok adopting within the US or outside of the US.  Basically, we just want to be parents ane I wan to have those early weeks/months with our child.

I am not interested in foster care situations because I know that I am not strong enough for that emotional roller coaster.  I've been exposed to it many times through work and I admire people with the strength to do so and their open hearts to care for children in need.

Anyone live in NJ and have suggestions of agencies?  Facilitators? 

Anyone successfully adopt in NJ and know the cost?  Timeline?

TTC our first, both age 29 BFP#1 Twins, Missed MC with complications (long story) BFP#2 CP DX: DH-no issues Me-PAI-1 1/2013 Hysteroscopy/Laparoscopy to remove polyp and adhesions March 2013 IUI #1 with Follitism + Trigger

Re: New, Overwhelmed: NJ Adoption

• Options

If you want to adopt an infant, domestic is probably the way to go. Most international adoptions I've seen are toddlers at the youngest, up to elementary school aged.

Be aware that adoption, no matter how you slice it, is going to have some emotional ups and downs.

We used an agency that has offices in NJ. PM me if you're interested in more information.

Cost and timelines are going to vary depending on who you go with and how you pursue it. You could use an agency, or an attorney, or a facilitator if it's legal in NJ. And you don't have to use an agency in your state. There are regional and national agencies, and some people choose to  use an agency outside of their state.

Some agencies charge fees on a sliding scale based on income, some don't. Some have a lower fee schedule for AA/CA children. Timelines are all over the map, and our agency wouldn't even give us one because there is no "typical". A better indicator is the # of waiting families vs the # of placements per year.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest looking at the FAQs at the top of this board. It provides some good overview and will likely point you to resources to narrow down the field.

• Options
    We are adopting internationally but our agency also does domestic adoptions and we LOVE them.  I don't know if you want a recommendation from me b/c we're not using them for a DIA but I can PM you the name if you want! Let me know!

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejillianmb:
    We are adopting internationally but our agency also does domestic adoptions and we LOVE them.  I don't know if you want a recommendation from me b/c we're not using them for a DIA but I can PM you the name if you want! Let me know!

Yes, please PM me the information.  I will try to PM you, but I'm new to this site Big Smile

I just read your blog.  You write beautifully!  I cried and cried and cried...  happy, joyful tears.  Your son is one of the most beautiful children I have ever seen.  Promise not to tell my god children, nieces, etc!!! Yes   He is so adorable and I am so happy that you and your DH will have those beautiful eyes to look into for the rest of your lives.  Congratulations!

After reading your experience, I think I am going to talk to my husband about considering older children.  What a wonderful gift you are giving him and he is giving back to you. 

P.S.  I love that you had an adoption shower.  So thoughtful of your family and friends.

TTC our first, both age 29 BFP#1 Twins, Missed MC with complications (long story) BFP#2 CP DX: DH-no issues Me-PAI-1 1/2013 Hysteroscopy/Laparoscopy to remove polyp and adhesions March 2013 IUI #1 with Follitism + Trigger
  • Options
    Welcome to the board!!  Adoption is pretty overwhelming at first, there is so much to look into.  Like PPs said, domestic is the way to go for an infant but from your last post if you're into an older child as you see international is an awesome way to go too : ) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options

hi! we live in NJ. We did an international adoption from Korea... So I can't really help with domestic agencies. But just wanted to welcome another Jersey Girl to this group :-)

We adopted our son in August from Korea- he was 21 months old. As we waited and he got older, I got nervous about going right into parenting with a toddler instead of an infant. But I can tell you= he has been the greatest gift to us!!! Its such a cute, fun age- he is starting to talk up a storm, and running around the house doing such cute stuff :-) I've realized that adding a child at any age is a blessing!

We really liked our agency, and the Korea adoption program- so feel free to email me at lil_mis1 at yahoo.com if you have any questions or just want to talk!

heres our little man in his pirate outfit on halloween :-)image

• Options

Hi, we are from NJ too. We're currently doing our last FET but have already met with about 5 NJ adoption agencies for DIA, which we will be selecting from should the FET not work (I'm a planner so I needed to know our next step). Facilitators are illegal in NJ; as I understand it you can work with an attorney but s/he cannot charge you specifically for locating a BM for you.

If/when we move forward I'd love to connect with other NJ PAPs!

Dx: High FSH, stage IV endo, homozygous C677T MTHFR and PAI-1
    Early loss 10/08
    Lap 1/09
    IVF #1 "natural IVF" - 1 egg retrieved, missed m/c
    Tried several mini-stim cycles with no response
    Switched clinics - dx'd as carrier for Fragile X
    IVF #2 MDL protocol Jan/Feb converted to IUI, BFN
    IVF #2 take 2: Antagonist, one embie, BFN
    IVF #3: Antagonist, no fertilization
    One last ditch effort at OE IVF (antagonist with Clomid) cancelled
    DE cycle #1 Jan/Feb 2011, BFP, ectopic
    DE cycle #2 June/July 2011 - BFP
    10/28/11 Baby girl lost at 17 weeks due to pre-term labor. We love and miss you.
    DE cycle #3 June/July 2012 - BFP, twins, both heartbeats stopped, D&C
    2 frosties but don't know what's next
    FET Dec 2012: BFP! Praying this one sticks for the long haul!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"