January 2012 Moms

Food ideas?

DD is 11 months old (in a few days) and she refuses to eat. Back in September she began to refuse most flavors of purees, so we started doing finger foods and letting her feed herself. It went really well at first and she was willing to eat pretty much anything as long as she put it in her own mouth.

Fast forward to now... DD will only eat cheese and only if she feeds it to herself. I comply and pack her some cheese in her lunch every day along with a variety of other items and let her have some cheese with dinner every day, but she refuses to eat everything else that I serve her. I have tried not giving her cheese at all in hopes that she would eat something else, but that just bites me in the a** because she ends up cranky, screaming, and miserable after she refuses whatever I serve her instead.

Obviously it is not healthy for her to survive solely on cheese. It is also not heathy for her not to eat anything at all (and really not good for either of our sleep). WWJMD?

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

Re: Food ideas?

• Have you tried giving her things with cheese ON them to see if that will work? Like grilled cheese sandwich strips, or broc with cheese, homemade mac and cheese?

That way she will still get her cheese, but other foods as well, and hopefully you can play with the cheese:other foods ratio so eventually she is eating more broc, etc.

• I make hummus and puree veggies in it and spread it on ww crackers that DS can pick up himself and eat. He loves it.

Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• Loading the player...
  • imageemnoahmom:

I make hummus and puree veggies in it and spread it on ww crackers that DS can pick up himself and eat. He loves it.

I second this! I make plain hummus, red pepper hummus, and baba ganoush. Both kids love it. You could even let her dip her cheese in it! Sounds good to me!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemichaelaskedlauren:

Have you tried giving her things with cheese ON them to see if that will work? Like grilled cheese sandwich strips, or broc with cheese, homemade mac and cheese?

That way she will still get her cheese, but other foods as well, and hopefully you can play with the cheese:other foods ratio so eventually she is eating more broc, etc.

I have tried mac and cheese - she refuses. Until about a week ago she was eating bread and cheese, but now she refuses bread too - I will still give grilled cheese a try.

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

• imagejs13524:
    imageemnoahmom:

I make hummus and puree veggies in it and spread it on ww crackers that DS can pick up himself and eat. He loves it.

I second this! I make plain hummus, red pepper hummus, and baba ganoush. Both kids love it. You could even let her dip her cheese in it! Sounds good to me!!

We have all of this stuff at home. I will try it and see what happens. She refued bits of a hummus and avocado sandwich a few days ago, but maybe hummus on crackers will work.

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

• imageLibraryChica:

Ditto to the idea of cheese-covered food. You could also try mixing cheese with shredded meat and/or veggies, forming them into little balls and then cooking them in a pan with a bit of olive oil -- like croquettes. Will she drink? You could make or buy thin yogurt/fruit smoothies and give them to her in a sippy.

Try not to worry too much. She won't live on cheese forever and she's still getting lots of nutrition from BM/formula. Is she teething? Babies seem to get weird about food then.

For a while she was eating cheesy omelets, but not so much anymore. I will definitely experiment with croquettes this weekend. She will drink formula and water, but nothing else.

She is teething, but that didn't necessarily coincide with the pickiness. She just got her first teeth last week.

Both of my brothers had weird eating habits when they were little. One would only eat cream cheese on Cheez-its and the other would only eat peanut butter and jelly on a certain brand of bread. For years. Their pediatrician told my mom that as long as they were healthy weight that he didn't care. I'm guessing that's what DD's pediatrician will say when I ask about the cheese. I feel weird sending her to daycare with only huge chunks of cheese for all of her meals/snacks though. Haha. I always send fruit, veggies, yogurt, bread, crackers also, but according to the DCP she never eats any of it.

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

• My son is the most hungry and least picky at lunchtime. He puts things in his mouth without even looking at them. I took him to a salad bar place yesterday and he tried all kinds of new foods I hadn't thought about. Just an idea.
  • Elijah also would rather feed himself. He loves bananas, spaghetti, grilled cheese, toast, mashed potatoes, applesauce, mac & cheese. He's not into the purees any more, either. He likes texture, and things he can pick up easily!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"